Downloads
    Uploads

Multilanguage support added

I have added some templates to support multiple translations of pages here on BRWiki.

you can read the language policy on how to use it
    Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you are going to start up versions of Birthright Wiki in other languages then maybe it is time to get the following policies changed:
    • General Writing Policy: "The BRWiki language is English. See Do-Not-Post policy."
    • Non-English content: "BRWiki is an English wiki. Its infrastructure does not support content in other languages. Doing so would entail something like what wikipedia has - different sub-domains and monitoring routines to track changes between different language versions of pages and alert translators.

"So, for now, non-English content is against policy and can be tagged {{speedydelete}} when found."

As someone who lives in England (the country that owns English), I've got to say that it would be a big shame to prevent non-English speakers from learning about Birthright.

I can see how individual non-English languages need some sort of organisation, in order to prevent the wiki from becoming very disorganised, but your Language policy seems to address the organisation issues.

On a separate issue, I do have a question about the location of your policy.

Shouldn't the Language Policy be part of 'BRWiki:Policy', instead of 'BRWiki:Language Policy'? Looking at the other pages, I would have expected it to be located at 'BRWiki:Policy/Language policy'. I would also expect it to be added to the end of the 'Template:Policytoc/Content' template.

I think what you need (in order for Birthright's non-English pages to avoid being patchy) is for the Community portal to be given a place where people who can write in individual languages can gather and plan an organised strategy of translation. The community portal currently has nine teams, and I think it would be sensible to create a 'Translation Team' page with subpages for any language that can pull in enough native speakers to make a version of BRWiki (in that language) viable.

So I think that your policy should be tweaked in order to fit in with other policies and also to encourage non-English wiki writers to start gathering together into teams.

Once you have that done, I think that it would be a good idea to make an open call in the forum for member of a specific language to make themselves known, so that, when someone does have time to set up a team for French, Spanish, German (or whatever) they can ping all of these people and invite them to the page.
    David "Big Mac" Shepheard
    Visit my Yahoo links for: Birthright websites
    (If I am not here, you can find me at the Birthright forum at The Piazza.)

Smile

Any news about this issue?
    I´m Brazilian and want to play in portuguese.

Downloads
    Uploads
    the multilanguage support was added after the policies (which had been copied from similar sited) and must be reviewed..
    but due to the low amount of wiki editors this has no high priority

so if you like to see BR in another language, feel free to add them
    Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.

Thread Information