Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Balance issues

Ehrshegh of Spelling Thelandrin's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Balance issues

Who on earth designed the Paladin of Cuiraécen? Unless the table is incorrectly written, it seems that you get four or five abilities at 1st-level (nearly half of all the class abilities except bonus feats). This creates a huge problem for people cherry-picking the class. The multi-classing restriction is worthless if you consider that you're getting nearly half the class as a simple one-level prestige-class for CG clerics of Cuiraéecen.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Maybe it ist still a 3.0 version of the paladin...
    May Khirdai always bless your sword and his lightning struck your enemies!

Downloads
    Uploads
    That is what I was thinking. Some of the abilities clearly need to be rolled back to 2nd or 3rd to make it less cherry-pickable. (All paladins have that problem anyway, but currently it's far too tempting to only take one level in.)

Downloads
    Uploads
    The one who initially designed the variant is me; now that I review it I feel I was mistaken in some of my choices, but there is one thing we have to keep in mind here: we cannot change everything not argued against in the polls.

Sure, my present self would disperse his abilities from level 1 up to level 3, but that's it. Cherry picking won't be nullified, just reduced, since anyone could supposedly take 4 levels as a paladin of Cuiraécen and still be better off than many other characters (skald, anyone?).

A better built might be:
    lvl 1 Aura of Good, detect evil, smite evil 1/day
    lvl 2 Divine Grace, lay on hands
    lvl 3 Aura of Courage, divine health

Please refrain from such phrasing as: "Who on earth [...]?" I know it was mostly my mistake, but I find vexing how nobody seemed to care so far (and left my foolish self thinking everything was OK).

Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree. Sanctioned or not, there is no reason why a paladin of Cuiraécen should get its paladin abilities earlier than the standard (Haelyn) paladin.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by RaspK_FOG View Post
    The one who initially designed the variant is me; now that I review it I feel I was mistaken in some of my choices, but there is one thing we have to keep in mind here: we cannot change everything not argued against in the polls.

Sure, my present self would disperse his abilities from level 1 up to level 3, but that's it. Cherry picking won't be nullified, just reduced, since anyone could supposedly take 4 levels as a paladin of Cuiraécen and still be better off than many other characters (skald, anyone?).

A better built might be:
    lvl 1 Aura of Good, detect evil, smite evil 1/day
    lvl 2 Divine Grace, lay on hands
    lvl 3 Aura of Courage, divine health

Please refrain from such phrasing as: "Who on earth [...]?" I know it was mostly my mistake, but I find vexing how nobody seemed to care so far (and left my foolish self thinking everything was OK).
    I would rather applaud your hard work than scald you for minor mistakes. I have been following this project for years without making much contributions and think you’ve all done a great job.

I think these sorts of things can and will happen and are not really problematic as we (as a community) are willing to take a pragmatic approach towards it…

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by RaspK_FOG View Post
    Well, apologies for sounding harsh, but I've only had a copy of the rules for a year or two and I've only been a regular here in the last couple of months. I like the concept, don't get me wrong, but it is rather too front-heavy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It is a "variant" after all.

So that must be kept in mind.

The variant paladin of Nesirie suffers from the opposite problem - too little power.

And as has been pointed out there was a long discussion of the the paladins and variant ones way back in the day - and there were polls too.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by irdeggman View Post
    It is a "variant" after all.

So that must be kept in mind.

The variant paladin of Nesirie suffers from the opposite problem - too little power.

And as has been pointed out there was a long discussion of the the paladins and variant ones way back in the day - and there were polls too.
    Yup stole my thunder (he he he Stormlord...thunder...) I don't use the Variants..heck a paladin that can freely multiclass as a fighter is pretty scary in and of itself!!
    Good Morning Peasant!!

Thread Information