Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    Ehrshegh of Spelling Thelandrin's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, ShadowMoon's recolourisation does look a lot better closer up, but the first one certainly isn't shabby, considering that (in my opinion) the original portrait just isn't that good anyway.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, Rjurik portraits are quite a disappointment. I haven't opened the book for a long time but I remember that blonde, human-like Lleaddra (Mistress of Lluabraight) and a small, skinny, cute and funny goblin warlord were the greatest disappointment for me. Njorna isn't that bad really, a the colorizations are great. I prefer ShadowMoon's style as it retains some of the darkness from the original portrait. Ken's version is great as well but she looks slightly more cheerful there.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just hope this will not turn into comparation field...

There is always someone that likes something else more, so there is really no need to point that here. The whole idea behind posting is sharing, and often self-improving, and not expecting praises or critiques, tho constructive critique is always welcome.

EDIT:
    Slightly off topic but related:
    For some time now, I am playing with the idea of retouching good old BR Warcards, maybe even make some new ones, as well as re-create some maps. What do You think about it? Would that be a waste of time, other than regular practice or would our BR "covenant" have use for it?
    Last edited by ShadowMoon; 09-15-2007 at 01:39 AM.
    "If the wizards and students who lived here centuries ago had practiced control - in their spellcasting and in their dealings with the politics of the empire - you would be studying in a tall tower made by the best dwarf stone masons, not in an old military barracks."
    Applied Thaumaturgy Lector of the Royal College of Sorcery to new generation of students.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowMoon View Post
    I just hope this will not turn into comparativeness field...
    I'm sorry, I never had such intentions. I just wanted to post my opinion about the colorations.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowMoon View Post
    For some time now, I am playing with the idea of retouching good old BR Warcards, maybe even make some new ones, as well as re-create some maps. What do You think about it? Would that be a waste of time, other than regular practice?
    I think it's a great idea, but I don't know how many people would agree as not many of them liked the warcards when I was more active in BR PBeMs. I personally like them and I think new versions of the artwork as well as an improved warcard-based battle system would do a lot to give more life to Birthright setting.

As with most of Birthright works, there's a lot of mistakes with warcards as well, and that's what I would like to see corrected the most. For example, Coullabhie warcards have totally mixed-up artwork. There has also been a lot of reusing of old artwork in the later Birthright works. For example, some different Vos units share the same artwork and if I remember correctly there is very little new artwork on Tribes of the Heartless Waste warcards.

All in all, it is a great idea and I'm looking forward to seeing your first results with warcards.

As a note, I had quite a collection of custom warcards I found while looking for Birthrigth stuff on the net back before google. Sadly, most of them are on some backup cd which is who knows where. I managed to recover some of them from the website of a game I used to run. I could post those cards in a new topic if anyone wants them.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Nameless One View Post
    I'm sorry, I never had such intentions. I just wanted to post my opinion about the colorations.
    No need to apologize, I was talking in general...

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless One View Post
    As a note, I had quite a collection of custom warcards I found while looking for Birthrigth stuff on the net back before google. Sadly, most of them are on some backup cd which is who knows where. I managed to recover some of them from the website of a game I used to run. I could post those cards in a new topic if anyone wants them.
    Sure, I would like that, thanks in advance...
    In regard of old custom Warcards, I'll check my old hard disks for my house-made Spider Raiders warcard, heavily influenced by Birthright: Gorgon's Alliance...
    "If the wizards and students who lived here centuries ago had practiced control - in their spellcasting and in their dealings with the politics of the empire - you would be studying in a tall tower made by the best dwarf stone masons, not in an old military barracks."
    Applied Thaumaturgy Lector of the Royal College of Sorcery to new generation of students.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I always liked the warcards. Improved warcards and new warcards would certainly be welcome.

Regarding images on the wiki, I think that most characters, places, and things are not even detailed, let alone illustrated. We should certainly not let the perfect become the enemy of the good. I'd rather see a lot of good descriptions and illustrations than a few great ones. So pointing out what was up would help illustrators with time constraints work on what was not yet done. I am certainly happy to see my work improved. Guthrim Gauksson is a case in point. I illustrated years ago with PC Paint. Its a weak colorization, and I'd really like to improve it (or see someone else do it). But given the choice between colorizing line art in one of the PS or improving an existing image, I'd rather put new art up. I did end up re-woring Hjalmar Helder in part because I was experimenting with some layering techniques.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I did this today...
    Didn't wanted to open new thread, but I might... Like a thread for Birthright inspired artwork...

I called it Sidhe Guardian, but when I finished it, I was thinking it might be in service of Erik as well, anyway basically I had an idea of Earth Elemental/Golem... So what do You think?

Last edited by ShadowMoon; 09-17-2007 at 03:39 AM.

Ehrshegh of Spelling Thelandrin's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Oooh. I like it I do think it's far more Erik-themed than it is Sidhelien-based though.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelandrin View Post
    Oooh. I like it I do think it's far more Erik-themed than it is Sidhelien-based though.
    Keeper of the Grove maybe? Hm... I agree is does fit more into Erik theme...

Thread Information