Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

God Gorgon

I found the idea of Gorgon becoming a God, very interesting, and i am already inserting it in my ongoing BR campaign.

The central plot of my game envolves an ancient plot where in the past the elves had a God, and it was divided in two parts, one became Azrai, the other one is imprisoned by the Serpent . When mortal, he was assigned to guard the weakened body of the god, but when he became an Awnsheg, he manage to find a way to drain the divine power of the good, and transfer it to his priests.

I will insert the Gorgons plan, in a context regarding the reunification of the Elven God, and the absortion of this god, as a way to ascend. At least, this will be his plan.

Thank you all for the plot ideas !

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hmm, I think we could have had the bloodlines mingling a lot sooner than 500 years - throughout the entire empire in fact :-)

I would note that we have almost NO history defined between the fall and 'now'. It is quite possible to say that a chamberlain did choose a new emperor (likely the clear leader amongst the dukedoms - like a Russian election) and that Emperor ruled for a brief period (say until the gorgon destroyed him for his presumption)

One problem for a new emperor of course is that after restoring order, they need to finish old business - quite a few fools will press for the Gorgon's evil to be driven out / the empire reclaimed, etc. That sort of thing does not encourage a long reign.

If anyone can join in the 'how I would have done it' challenge from Mr McSorley:

I would have had the empire last 2-300 years - long enough to have a substantial impact, not so long that the impact should be dominant. The fall should have been at most a century or so ago - possibly half that so that some still remember 'the glory days'.

Of course the Brecht would then have had to have had the Brecht leauge almost as soon as they regained independence - say a generation after at most - but that isn't impossible...

The Chamberlain is then still keeper of the empire - grandfather to grandchild as it were, and has a reasonable excuse for not naming an emperor. I agree with Ken that to go 500 years without picking someone makes you either negligent, inert, or indecisive to a terminal degree.

I'd also have made them bronze moving into iron age but that's another story...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Man some of you really play some wussy Chamberlains. =) To say he has no power outside of Anuire City is . . . well . . . a bit naive, imho. =) Perhaps I run him as a bit more sophisticated and worldly in his political dealings? He's there for a good GM to mold and fashion, and he's one of my favorite NPC's.

What if he chose a contender to the throne above the likes of Boeruine and Avanil? Well, he better choose wisely, and he better be prepared for said decision. In short, he's no dummy. He won't commit political suicide in such a fashion. He'll play his hand in a much more cunning manner. =)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by DanMcSorley View Post
    How would you have instead designed the initial setup, Kenneth? Do away with the chamberlain entirely? Set the game immediately after the vacancy?
    A fair question and one that deserves a good answer. I hope my reply serves that purpose.

I would select case 1, Set the game immediately after the vacancy, before anyone has won the throne, and as you suggest this might last a few decades, so a generation of civil war drags on as play begins and the world longs for an end. The stage is set for the PC's, if only they can prove themselves (cue dramatic swells with action and reaction shots of the party).

My solution to the dilema posed would be very much like the end of the War of the Roses (which will be a sort of template for the interregnum). The clear and obvious claimants have all killed one another off. A few managed to claim the throne for a little while, but either died tragically (Henry V) before the empire had entirely embraced him, or were done in by foul means. Indeed there might be a Richard III type figure who eliminates some claimants by cloak and dagger to make his own way towards the throne. I might have him marry a claimant and put himself in an excellent position to sieze the Iron Throne but he falls ill after his wedding feats (a gluttonous affair with gilded food, see Lionel Plantagenet, death of) and never gets to accupy the throne he has spilt so much blood to attain. Is there a Warwick as kingmaker? Well, maybe, but there is no need to follow the analogy too closely.

In summery, the best candidates would be named figures, cut down before the game starts leaving the field with no clear claimant, and the PC's Henry-Tudor-like come from no where (or somewhere) to win the crown themselves and ascend the Iron Throne.

For extra color, you can add Arthurian elements (many of which are there in quiet) of a country in civil war, or beset by petty kings, waiting for Arthur to reveal himself and win his kingdom. This is more of a destiny thing, and might involve more of a storytelling approach to gaming than some would prefer, but even if you don't go that route there is plenty of Arthurian window dressing to employ, because its themes and situations are the same.

That's the gist of how I would do it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelandrin View Post
    Is it possible that he has deliberately not chosen a candidate to keep Anuire strong? The candidates vie against each other, but generally do it quietly or politically, without recourse to open warfare. What would happen if he chose? Maybe there would be war, maybe not.
    The books say war is frequent if not constant. The game opens with war imminant everywhere and I think by spring (after an opening winter move) wars would spring about all over. Most would go on between two season and six, pause and re-open with a slightly altered cast of characters.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by kgauck View Post
    The books say war is frequent if not constant. The game opens with war imminant everywhere and I think by spring (after an opening winter move) wars would spring about all over. Most would go on between two season and six, pause and re-open with a slightly altered cast of characters.
    Avin, Beoruine, Ghoere all stand ready for a spark/excuse to send the whole former empire into War. The setting is predicated on the war and the part your players will have in it.

And since this post is about the Gorgon becoming a god he is certainly overdue for a temper tantrum at the opening of the setting. So even if your Dukedoms are not as petty and competitive as some other peoples, a very, very nasty thing lurks waiting to send the whole world into the flames.
    Good Morning Peasant!!

Thread Information