Downloads
    Uploads

Lessons of Alnor Arsgrisson

Discussion thread for Lessons of Alnor Arsgrisson. If you would like to add a comment, click the Post Reply button.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If he must rule Jankaping, Alnor has decided, he will drag its people into the sixteenth century or die trying.
    Sixteenth century? Has that even been reached yet?

Sorontar

Ehrshegh of Spelling Thelandrin's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    By the Haelynite calendar (1524 years since Deismaar), of course it has.

Naturally, if you're going by Michaeline Reckoning or a different system, then we're in different centuries

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have to admit I think that they made a mistake with the timeline in BR.

500 years since the empire fell is a LONG time - 1-2 generations or so would be better as the memories would be close to the surface and the struggle for the Iron Throne more meaningful - some old grandfathers would still remember the glory days.

Similarly the 1000 year old empire should have had a very substantial impact on different cultures unless it ruled with a very light hand indeed - look at the impact of empires in Europe which lasted far shorter periods and covered less land (relative to the known world).

Downloads
    Uploads
    It is rather like lamenting the collapse of the Angevin empire and the death of Roele being like the death of Henry V. Sure we like the story and tell it over and over, but we are not trying to recreate it. A Plantegent domination of France (and a France which doesn't include Arles or Lorraine) means very little to people today, even if the world were still the kind that wanted a new Plantegenet, the issues are simply too different.

But being that as it may, its the bowl of porridge we have, and I rather choose to have these issues a matter of memory, more like the Holy Roman Empire as a re-invention of the Roman Empire. So whether we are supposed to be a latter day Charlemagne or one of the notable Ottos, we're not really re-creating the Roman Empire so much as we are claiming the mantle of the Empire as we invent something totally different.

Its one of the reaons I totally ignore the Chamberlain and his commings and goings.

Downloads
    Uploads

Smile Good stuff, thanks

Very useful summary. I'm playing Alnor in Rjuvik Winds PBeM at the moment, so it is quite timely.

Thread Information