Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I am currently contemplating an upkeep cost for equipment of 20% per year, which equals 5% per quarter/domain turn. Also see the average lifetime of military equipment thread. I would not go for 1% per month (12% a year), because I consider it to be too cheap and inconvenient for calculation purposes.

--------
    If X is the quarterly pay of a unit of 10
    and Y is the cost for one set of equipment

then my formula for muster was X + 10Y
    and for yearly upkeep was 4(X+Y)
    to equal muster and yearly upkeep: X+10Y=4(X+Y) --> Y=1/2X
    equipment Y would need to be 1/2 of quarterly pay X

now I am contemplating changing the formula to

Muster: 2X+10Y
    Upkeep: 4(X+0.5Y)=4X+2Y
    to equal muster and yearly upkeep:2X+10Y=4X+2Y --> Y=1/4X
    equipment Y would need to be 1/4 of quarterly pay X

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Panics View Post
    Really I don't know... would have to re-check the book but I believe this is the payroll without equipment. Equipment is provided by the ruler.

But as I stated before, I wouldn't include a maintenance for equipment and even there. Even if I would, it would be 1% of the equipment cost per month. In Stronghold Builder, maintenance for the castle is 1% total cost.

You could doulbe everything when in Active Duty.

So for a domain turn, War1 with Full Plate, Heavy Shield and Longsword would cost 333 gp (180+150+1.5+1.5) or... 330 gp
    Looking to historical medieval models, this wasn't neccessarily the case, and it didn't generally become so until the renaissance. Most kingdoms had laws requiring property owners to maintain a certain ammount of arms and armour, based on personal income - even poor kingdoms like Scotland. When we get documentation regarding armies mustering. Even into the 1470's, the soldiers are expected to bring at least a part of their equipment with them, although presumably in game terms a regent would take over maintenence costs of equipment.

Most lords, and towns maintained small armouries , to outfit retainers or help equip town militias, - and from what I have researched, even in these cases the retainers were expected to have some pf their equipment. After all, who would muster or hire a knight without horses and armour, and without owning a weapon?

Things changed in the renaissance, as large centeralized governments begain to maintain and equip standing armies, and for various reasons, soldiers were less inclined to own or accumulate their own armour.

Thread Information