Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads

Cry Havoc for B-right

I found Cry Havoc is a good source for playing unit combat, but sadly is not compatible with B-right because CH units are built from the level of the individual (as per phb), whereas B-right units have been pre-made at the unit level…

The two different economic systems result in serious balance issues when simply trying to convert a B-right unit into a CH unit.

Last year I have begun work on building birthright units from the individual level, as to become compatible with Cry Havoc. As a result the costs of the units have somewhat changed, and some units (notably knights) have become considerably smaller.

The first results are promising but it will still need more play-testing. Consequently I was wondering whether others have experience with Cry Havoc and their solutions. I am also willing to share my findings to those interested, for feedback

Downloads
    Uploads
    Someone did an attempt at Anuirean units in the download section.

http://www.birthright.net/forums/dow...?do=file&id=25
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    For me, Cry Havoc is a must if you want to play mass battles (10 or more units) !

For the price of the unit, I took information in Stronghold Builder (WotC). A knight is around 12 gp (per knight/per level/per month).

I can't reference with BR since I never found the battle system interesting.

Downloads
    Uploads
    What do you make of Heroes of Battle?

Downloads
    Uploads
    "Heroes of battle " is a miniature handbook. Try run an army of 200 men vs 200 men with it. Its design to play "a la" Call of Duty. ie a small group doing small missions.

Cry Havoc is for the real Mass Combat, like seen in all those wonderful movies (LotR, Braveheart, etc.).

I've looked at the Anuire, and it's stated that they have 3,000 men. Assuming they are all Warrior 1st, they would cost 27 GB.

3,000 men x 6 gp (per month) = 18,000 gp x 3 month = 54,000 gp / 2,000 gp = 27 GB.

Don't know if Anuire could support this army. Don't have the stats ;o) Can they ?

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Avanil page shows a per turn income is 102 GB per turn.

It also lists a population of 167,000, which the DMG suggests 5% should be 1st level warriors. This is 8350, which means you can easily assemble 3000 men under arms from a population of this size. Based on the medieval examples of 2% of a population being a practical maximum, 3340 men under arms for any sustained period of time also makes sense.

Avanil seems to be much closer to its population maximum than it is to its fiscal maximum (which suggests there is no pressure to modernize the state) and so probabaly invests in castles to maximize the fighting effectiveness of the men it does have.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by kgauck View Post
    What do you make of Heroes of Battle?

Massively disappointing. It is designed for an individual PC on the battlefield and not for unit size combat. It does have some pretty good information on siege engines though.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    I really like the flowcharts, the design of an army from the single character up, the military characters, and actually the whole book, but as has been noted, it is for standard D&D in a war scenario, rather than serving our purposes of mass armies and realms at war.

I had passed on Cry Havoc because I picked up Heroes of Battle, but I'll have to go back and give it a serious look.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by irdeggman View Post
    Someone did an attempt at Anuirean units in the download section.
    Yeah, I have seen that one… It looks good, but it looks like the author takes a different approach.

I am attempting to balance the gold cost to hire and equip an individual and its upkeep, based on level and equipment… with this information players and DMs alike can create any unit they can imagine… large or small, elite or under equipped…. This is one of the strengths of Cry Havoc

Moreover I am aiming for slightly smaller unit sizes than the birthright 200, because smaller units are much better for play.

Downloads
    Uploads

Base of the system I am exploring

Costs for Unit consisting of 10 individuals (multiply for larger units)

A unit’s Muster Cost is:
    10 x PHB + Quarterly Pay
    A unit’s Garrisoned Upkeep Cost per quarter/domain turn is:
    PHB + Quarterly Pay
    A unit’s Active Upkeep Cost per quarter/domain turn is:
    2 x Garrisoned Upkeep Cost (PHB + Quarterly Pay)

-PHB is the total cost of the Equipment in the Player Handbook that the Unit holds.
    -The Quarterly Pay according to the level and class of the unit is shown below on table 1.
    -Additionally, when designing units with equal Muster Cost and Yearly Garrisoned Upkeep Costs, as in the Birthright-Play-Test, use a PHB equipment value of half the unit’s Quarterly Pay.

Table 1. Rounded Quarterly/domain turn Pay of a Unit Consisting of 10 creatures

NPC-Class Pay in garrison
    Level 1 200 gp
    Level 2 500 gp
    Level 3 1000 gp
    Level 4 2000 gp
    Level 5 3500 gp
    Level 6 5500 gp

PC-Class Pay in garrison
    Level 1 500 gp
    Level 2 1000 gp
    Level 3 2000 gp
    Level 4 3500 gp
    Level 5 5500 gp
    Level 6 8000 gp

Optional rule: The upkeep and Muster cost can be further rounded into GBs as directed by the DM

-------------------------
    This may seem complicated, but allows the building of various kinds of units. based on the game-balance provided by DMG and PHB.

Thread Information