Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Gods and religion play a role in any campaign. While the DnD system offers a lot in the way of providing game mechanics for casting spells and such, it does not go much further. More spesifically, it does not provide answers to the basic questions raised by many religions: What are we, why are we, what are gods, how do we relate to the gods etc.

The BR world also has its gods, but little in the way of answering any of these questions. So good people, do anyone have any answers?

IMC the basic defining characteristic of the god/worshiper connection is that gods derive power from worship, some of which they return to their followers in the form of spells/manifestations etc., in order to help them improve their own lives and the cause of their god.

Another basic assumption is that gods are formed by their worshipers and visce versa. Its a symbiotic cycle, where no one can truly claim that the one is more important than the other, because without each other they have nothing.
    Cheers
    Bjørn
    DM of Ruins of Empire II PbeM

Downloads
    Uploads
    I submit, Green, that the way you deal with religion in your campaign is the way other pantheistic religions have worked in the past. This is also the classical thinking when it comes to religions in general.

As far as explaining the questions: What are we, why are we, what are gods, how do we relate to the gods etc.

You will notice that throughout history it has been up to the priests and worshipers to answer these questions. So, it is my belief that it is right that we have not been given these answers, for it is up to us to define them.

Not a bad idea for a supplement. Individual "handbooks" for each god. I am loathe to call it a bible, but it would be an accounting of the god, its works and related tales.
    This is an adventure dammit! I expect to be rewarded for acts of homicide!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would be happy to see any suppliment for the Birthright campaign and willing to buy it. I agree with green knight also, not enough information has been given on the gods. the info would create some great roleplay
    Lord Shaene Conlynd
    Regent - United Provinces of Haelyn

Downloads
    Uploads
    Orginally posted by Lord Shaene

I would be happy to see any suppliment for the Birthright campaign and willing to buy it. I agree with green knight also, not enough information has been given on the gods. the info would create some great roleplay
    It would be reasonably easy to develop this information. Most information about gods is disseminated by "priest" and "prophets" as well as worshippers. I think it is up to us as players in a campaign to develop these stories and the background in much the same way the disciples of Christ did when he walked the earth.

Downloads
    Uploads
    theres alot of info that could be added, examples

1) what ritual must be done and how often
    2) a doctrine stating what the god stands for
    3) required tithes
    4) legends concerning the gods
    5) former great preists and what they did
    Lord Shaene Conlynd

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am not disputing the fact that there is a lot to be added. My point is that we shouldn't be spoon-fed this stuff in a book, written by someone who could give two - for our campaign. The rituals and tithes should be defined by the local church leaders. The legends should come from the people of the land as they traditionally have. This is and opportunity for us (the characters) to shape our spiritual world.

Downloads
    Uploads
    So you are saying that the DM should give you all that info then? As if he doesnt already have enough to do.
    Lord Shaene Conlynd

Downloads
    Uploads

So you are saying that the DM should give you all that info then? As if he doesnt already have enough to do.
    Do you have difficulty reading and comprehending the english language?

I said we (the CHARACTERS) should be doing this. Not the DM. Granted the DM should have some editorial license, but it is in this way that legends become legends and rituals are formed.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The rituals and tithes should be defined by the local church leaders.

Who is the bishop in our campaign? (the DM)

The legends should come from the people of the land as they traditionally have.

who roleplays the NPC's (the DM)
    Lord Shaene Conlynd

Downloads
    Uploads

The rituals and tithes should be defined by the local church leaders.

Who is the bishop in our campaign? (the DM)

The legends should come from the people of the land as they traditionally have.

who roleplays the NPC's (the DM)
    I said us (the CHARACTERS) are you blind? Are you suggesting that the abbess is not a local church leader? She and her priests are capable of defining these rituals. You are so quick to lay responsibility for everything being done on the shoulders of the DM. Do we not speak for our own people to some extent?

Thread Information