Thread: WotC License ?

Downloads
    Uploads

WotC License ?

Only wondering if WotC could shutdown the BRCS3 ?

As seen lately... Wotc have taken back licenses from Ravenloft and Dragonlance !

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Panics View Post
    Only wondering if WotC could shutdown the BRCS3 ?

As seen lately... Wotc have taken back licenses from Ravenloft and Dragonlance !
    well in short.. they cant take back what they didnt 'give'

RL and DL were the only two settings that were licensed to third parties (commercial companies).

As for Birthright, we dont have a commercial license. We are only the official website and because of that we have some extra privileges.

Since everything posted on BRnet is derative work, its already owned partially by wotc.

But on the other side, you never know WotC for sure.. and yes they can take away our privileges and do with Birthright whatever they want.

you can view our license here: http://www.birthright.net/brwiki/ind...ense_agreement
    Last edited by Arjan; 05-02-2007 at 05:26 PM.
    Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.

Downloads
    Uploads
    then... we'll cross our fingers !

But I presumed they won't be interested in BR for the simple reason that they're focus is on Miniatures and this kind of roleplaying (gaming). They don't seem to be interested to create rules for kingdom or mass combat... so BR might be forgotten by WotC.

*cross fingers*

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looking at the Ravenloft and Dragonlance examples, those companies who purchased the lisence, put out the kind of core products which all fans will purchase and going forward had very little left to produce that would sell to the whole fan base, in the mean time renewing the licence would be expensive. As a result the publishers decided not to renew the liscence.

If this is in fact the case, and others may have different information, then there really isn't anything these examples have to say about BR, except that if someone did lisence the campaign world, they would probabaly only hold the licence for one term, put out core materials in the current edition, and then fail to renew the licence, because there was not enough future sales to offset the cost of both publication and the licence.

Finally, companies that buy licences also can only manage so many licences at a time without taking the risk of growing their operation. So there is a strong incentive to drop a licence when you aquire a new one. From a business perspective, it makes more sense to make a core book and the intial books for a new licence as it does to continue to support an existing licence.

Ehrshegh of Spelling Thelandrin's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, with the Dragonlance 3.5 licence, I believe Margaret Weis didn't want to give it up, but WotC revoked it. I don't know about Swords & Sorcery's Ravenloft though.

What's the deal with the artwork from the old books?

I saw a smattering of it in our playtest PDF, but not the current chapters.
    Look for me by moonlight
    Watch for me by moonlight
    I'll come to thee by moonlight
    Though Hell should bar the way

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by prince_dios View Post
    What's the deal with the artwork from the old books?
    take a look at the answers given by David Wise, on the bottom of the license
    http://www.birthright.net/brwiki/ind...ense_agreement

Downloads
    Uploads
    Surely Margaret Weis didn't want to lose the license... after all THEY are true creator of Dragonlance !!

It's like banning Ed Greenwood from writing Realms stuff !!

Ravenloft has always been a CS that fits for "some adventures" and does not revel to the wonders of Greyhawk, FR or Dragonlance. Even under TSR it was not a big seller. If you look back to many years, Ravenloft was an adventure module. I think it will ever be this.

The only reason I believe that WotC took back Dragonlance is because of the upcoming movie. If the movie becomes a blockbuster a la LotR, they will want their part of the cake. Ironically, they don't provide any money to the movie !

Anyways... I think WotC wants to bring more Computer basics to DnD. With their new "Barrel Generator" they stated: " From our experience in video games...". Makes me feel they want to re-create DnD so it fits better in the parameters of 0101.

Sorry - I'm just not comprehending the legalese today. ;P

Anyways, I have bought the PDF, so if someone needs the artwork I could provide it. If someone else adds the copyright logos.
    Look for me by moonlight
    Watch for me by moonlight
    I'll come to thee by moonlight
    Though Hell should bar the way

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by prince_dios View Post
    Anyways, I have bought the PDF, so if someone needs the artwork I could provide it. If someone else adds the copyright logos.
    everyone can upload images themselves through the wiki.
    and ive made an easy template to add the copyright info below it

see: http://www.birthright.net/brwiki/ind...Wiki:Templates

Image Copyright WoTC

{{Imagecopyright}}

Adds Wizards of the Coast copyright information below a picture. (©1996-2007 Wizards of the Coast, Inc.)

Thread Information