Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Awnsheghlien easely to wipe ?

Hello all

i'am new in Birthright ,Fisrt thing you make great job with the 3 edition .

I have one question for me the spiderfell and Rhubhe look tiny place simple

to crush.

I don't unsterdand the treat that they represent .

They seem weak (not a big army , for the Spider his forest can burn ,and

Rhubhe is near the biggest realm in Anuire Boeruine and Avanil.

So for myself this 2 Awnsheghliens don't still continue to exist after few turn .

As a GM i would like to avoid that , Any GM can give me any tip to make

them not so weak ?

Or i miss something about this 2 Awnsheghliens ?

Thank to help

Downloads
    Uploads
    This is a recurring topic of questions. One thread where this is discussed is here. In general the Spider is considered to have a near invicible defensive place, because of his connection to spiders and the density and tenor of the forest that is the Spiderfell. How dangerous he is to a realm is really a function of how well prepared you are.
    Last edited by kgauck; 04-23-2007 at 08:06 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    While Rhuobhe can disappear behind a warding for centuries without needing to worry - very few could breach his wards...

Also, while you can kill their troops, killing the awnshegh is a far harder task - the spider is unkillable and Rhuobhe is a killing machine second only to the Gorgon or possibly a dragon. Who wants the awnshegh leaving a burned empty realm to seek them out personally - far better to have the awnshegh lording over a handful of followers in some worthless woods far far away

Plus if Rhuobhe dies Avan and Boeruine will be at war almost immediately - the pass is the easiest way from one to the other, so clearing it would be politically unwise unless as preparation for a major conflict.

One thing I think isn't stressed enough is that there's a delicate balance in Anuirea. IE, if I'm ruling Roesone, I probably -could- take over the Spiderfell, but Ghoere would take the chance to invade.

Ehrshegh of Spelling Thelandrin's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, if I'm playing Endier or an adjacent realm to the Spiderfell in the PC game, one of the first things I do is assassinate the Spider.

The only I've actually played Endier ingame was as a Goblin guilder who came from the Spiderfell and was adopted gy Guilder Kalien, so we were much non-hostile to each other! (Strange story!)

The Spider can only be permanently killed by burning him and mixing the ashes with salt... at least, that's what my memory's telling me. It may be from one of the player's secrets books or Blood Enemies.

Regardless, with so many minions he's a tough nut to crack.
    Look for me by moonlight
    Watch for me by moonlight
    I'll come to thee by moonlight
    Though Hell should bar the way

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelandrin View Post
    Well, if I'm playing Endier or an adjacent realm to the Spiderfell in the PC game, one of the first things I do is assassinate the Spider.

The only I've actually played Endier ingame was as a Goblin guilder who came from the Spiderfell and was adopted gy Guilder Kalien, so we were much non-hostile to each other! (Strange story!)
    In the PC game Endier controls the source of Spiderfell...I think it is not very realistic,however with the source you can cast mass destruction against the spider or you can raze his lair.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It is much easier to do away with the Spider than
    people seem to think...you don`t have to kill him is
    the key!

It IS a hard task to get to him, but if you can manage
    that it is better to CAPTURE the Spider and imprison
    him by magic.

There is always the option of burning the Spiderfell
    to the ground and wait for the Spider to come into a
    well laid trap...that is what I would do.

--- Thorogood Roele <brnetboard@BIRTHRIGHT.NET> wrote:

> This post was generated by the Birthright.net
    > message forum.
    > You can view the entire thread at:
    >
    http://www.birthright.net/forums/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=3659
    >
    > Thorogood Roele wrote:
    > ------------ QUOTE ----------
    > Immunity to poison isn`t such a problem. You only
    > need to be a druid of 9th level, member of one of
    > several PrCs (like Celestial Mystic or
    > Contemplative) or otherwise protected (spell etc.)
    > and poisenous spiders are no hazard for you. Combine
    > it with some kind of DR (through template, blood
    > ability, spell or whatever) and even millions of
    > them don`t deal one point of damage to you...
    > -----------------------------
    >
    >
    >
    > That may be true to a single individual, but explain
    > how a single Druid is going to deal with the
    > non-poisonous damage (ie bites) from the millions of
    > little spiders, the thousands of giant spiders the
    > 10`s of thousands of goblins etc. A single character
    > of less than god status couldn`t even reach the
    > Spider, assuming they knew what they had to do to
    > get past his blood ability that makes him impossible
    > to kill without doing certain things, otherwise he
    > just regenerates over and over. Remember than just
    > learning how to truly kill him is a monumental task
    > in itself requiring massive research, and likely
    > having to test each new theory on the Spider himself
    > just to see if it would work. Either that or
    > divination of nearly godlike status.
    >
    >

>
    > Birthright-l Archives:
    > http://oracle.wizards.com/archives/birthright-l.html
    > To unsubscribe, send email to
    > LISTSERV@ORACLE.WIZARDS.COM
    >
    >

Kalien

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by dalor
    There is always the option of burning the Spiderfell to the ground and wait for the Spider to come into a well laid trap...that is what I would do.
    I've always thought that if it was as simple as setting the Spiderfell on fire, it would have been tried before. The Deretha have been warring with Tal Qazar for about 2,000 years and I'm sure that in all that time someone would have tried a major burn-off.

There are a few factors counting against the flammability of the Spiderfell, I think. You have the massive dark cloud that sits about the Spiderfell, ready to drop large amounts of rain on the forest. Also, I've always pictured the forest as being dense, very damp, with lots of moist rotting foliage on the ground - that is, not terrible vulnerable to fire.

But I certainly agree that the best way to defeat the Spider is to trap or otherwise incapacitate him rather than trying to kill him. This method also has the added benefit of no-one killing him, becoming infected with the blood of Azrai, and turning into another awnsheghlien.

Downloads
    Uploads
    At the risk of being harsh - the threat any NPC poses is entirely up to the GM.

If they turn The Spider into a lame easy kill then they need to start thinking a bit more.

No AWNSHEGHLEIN that has been around for 100's or 1000's of years is an easy kill. Lots of people have tried - and died. They have every option available to them that players do and usually a heck of a lot more resources and experience.

Assassinate The Spider - the assassin you try to hire is likely to laugh in your face and tell you its impossible - you can't just walk into the spiderfell in your little Ninja uniform and slip a poison in his broth.

If you have choosen a high level path then make sure you make sure that the threats players face are up to the challenge - Zero research and Zero information on their enemy and expecting to rock into "his domain" with a pack of 6-8 pcs and bowl him over should be akin to running down a dragons throat while insulting his mother and expecting him not to chew.

Personally these additions are fun -

The spider has bred half breed children - half Goblin/half spider (use drider template with nasty venom).

The Spider can see and hear anything any spider can if he so desires. - which means that regents plotting against him can almost inevitably expect counter plots - "oh no the spider seems to know everything and be laying in wait...."

Feel free to drop any spider type or subtype listed anywhere in D&D rules into the spiderfell with monstrous and other templates whenever you like.
    Look at some of the waterskimming and trapdoor spiders in nature - web "net" throwers and the like for inspiration.

Spiders are cunning hunters and trappers and lay very patient plans - they do not allow enemies a second chance. BE MEAN if they want to mess with the best the they can expect to be HURT.

Players should not expect the rulebook writeup to be correct - feel free to alter it - Some enemies may have very little information available on them - most will be hearsay and rumor.

Thread Information