Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Militant Order of Cuiraécen

Discussion thread for Militant Order of Cuiraécen. If you would like to add a comment, click the Post Reply button.
    Last edited by Thelandrin; 09-29-2007 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Corrected link to point to actual page.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Okay, I just started here, it's my first try with the wiki and there's not much here yet - and some things are still wrong from using other templates/Boilerplates.
    However I really wanted to add a table for non-landed holdings as a template, you know with the headings
    Holding - Level - Province/Ratings - Domain/Ruler
    but I just couldn't get this darn thing to work.

Please help! (and explain what you did, so I might learn a bit)

As an afterthought, I really think we need a template for non-landed domains, at least I couldn't find one. However, as should be obvious I know next to nothing about creating wikis, so I definitely can't do this.
    Any takers?
    Last edited by Beruin; 09-28-2007 at 03:05 AM. Reason: Added an afterthought

Downloads
    Uploads
    The tables that normally indicate holdings for provinces etc use a {{Domain/Begin}} template and a {{Domain/End}} template call. The first template sets the headings and defines the table styles and supposedly uses another style as well (but I can't find that one). The second just closes the table off.

cf. http://www.birthright.net/brwiki/ind...e:Domain/Begin
    cf. http://www.birthright.net/brwiki/ind...ate:Domain/End

So if you want to set your own headings you will either have to write your own {{Holdings/Begin}} template or manually cut and paste the relevant stuff from the {{Domain/Begin}} one. For instance:

{| {{BRWiki: Domain/Table}}
    ! Holding !! Level !! Province/Ratings !! Domain/Ruler
    |-
    ||Joe's Taverns || 2 || Roesone || Ghoried/Joe
    |-
    ||Josie's Haberdashery || 3 || Roesone || Roseone/Josie

|width=5|
    |}

See this in action at http://www.birthright.net/brwiki/ind...Wiki:Sandbox/2

However, people so far have generally just used the domain style, even if it gives information about holdings not related to the organisation/individual being discussed in the article. What is it that you want that this style won't show? Or is it a matter of clarity and relevancy?

For more help on understanding BRWiki tables, see http://www.birthright.net/brwiki/index.php/Help:Table

Sorontar

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks Sorontar, that helped. I tried a few things you mentioned, but just couldn't get them to work right. Well, still learning..

As for the format, I believe this is clearer and it removes unnecessary clutter from the table (i.e. guild holdings for a temple). This makes it clearer, especially for larger non-landed domains stretching over several realms

Downloads
    Uploads
    I prefer the clutter. The format used the BoP has too little information. I prefer to use the realm format for all organizations because you can see at a glance who the domain interacts with, not just who has title to the land.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I should've put " unnecessary clutter" in quotation marks I guess, of course the information is not useless. However, my reasoning for preferring the format for other holdings - used not only in BoP, but also in the atlas and the other regional books - is that it's easier to see the geographical spread of a particular non-landed domain over several realms and to notice where it is strong and where weak.

That's usually the first information I want to know, whether as player or DM. To then see with whom the domain interacts, I'd consult the relevant realm entries.

Should we do a poll to keep the format consistent in the wiki or is this not that important?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I prefer the clutter, but would suggest highlighting the temple column to show it more clearly. Or given I don't know how to highlight on a wiki table, putting the temple stuff in bold.

I'd note that the temple may well hold law and / or guilds so a simple column either mixes up holdings or misses out 'non' core holdings for each organisation

Downloads
    Uploads
    I do think consistency is important. Each domain should navigate like every other domain.

I like the idea of being able to see the geographical spread of temples, but I generally find that its just as easy with the standard format as it is with the limited format. As long as the standard format follows a sensible geographic order (rather than being alphabetical or random) its pretty easy to see where a domain has sway.

I would also like to see maps. I think the perfect map would use the icons from the Gorgon's alliance to denote where and how big a holding is, but I suspect the introduction of Microprose's efforts would prove a stumbling block for the IP issues.

IMO, a realm table should contain data pertaining to one realm and a domain table should contain data pertaining to one domain.

They serve two different functions: a realm table shows all of the provinces within a realm and lists the regents who rule the various holdings within that realm. A domain table shows all of the holdings within a domain and lists the rulers of the provinces in which those holdings reside.

Neither table depicts the 'whole picture' but at least thanks to wiki we can easily cross-reference the two.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Why should there be two functions for tables of what are two very similar types of organizations?

To broaden the question, why should the format of a landed domain and a priestly domain, be different, especially if a priestly domain and a guild domain are formated the same?

I contend that all domains should have the same format, and use the same template. Whether they have provinces is really immaterial to how a domain should be presented.
    Last edited by kgauck; 09-30-2007 at 03:04 AM. Reason: expanded

Thread Information