Downloads
    Uploads

History of Diemed

Discussion thread for History of Diemed. If you would like to add a comment, click the Post Reply button.

Just a nit, this is good, but I think we should settle on a proper title. Throughout this history it switches from Duke, to Prince, to Baron.

It should be consistently Duke (imho). Diemed was one of the twelve original Duchies and unless a higher authority, namely the Emperor stripped the Diems' of that title, it should still hold despite the title given in the original "Ruins of Empire".

Just a thought.
    Last edited by Arjan; 04-19-2007 at 03:35 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would say that 'prince of the Deretha' is ok as it predates the formation of the empire and it is likely that part of Roele's work in forming the empire was harmonising titles etc. After that it should be duke. The Baron's at the end look the write got fixated on Roesone after mentioning it (and why not, it's a far better realm) and the prince in the middle is just out of place.

The edit button is at the top of the page in the middle of the screen. Feel free to use it to fix errors - Arjan can't fix everything - the idea is that the wiki belongs to the whole community and not just the handful of wiki moderators (we just have the added joy of sorting out the categories, removing spambot posts, vandalism, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Jaleela View Post
    Throughout this history it switches from Duke, to Prince, to Baron.
    The change from Duke to Baron might have been an acceptance of one of Diemed's rulers that the realm of Diemed today is much smaller than in days past. It might have been propaganda on the part of the Baron of Roesone to try to validate his own position. I personally am running with the idea that when Roesone split from Diemed, the Duke of Diemed was followed by a Baron of Diemed.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hmm, I'm thinking that the last thing they would do is voluntarily admit the loss - Medoere only went a decade ago so many Diemans still probably refer to 'the rebels' or 'the provinces'.

That said ruins of empire describes Heirl Diem as 'Diemed's warrior baron' and uses baron to describe him several times.

Cmalik is the obvious person to ask...

Downloads
    Uploads

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTall View Post
    I would say that 'prince of the Deretha' is ok as it predates the formation of the empire and it is likely that part of Roele's work in forming the empire was harmonising titles etc. After that it should be duke. The Baron's at the end look the write got fixated on Roesone after mentioning it (and why not, it's a far better realm) and the prince in the middle is just out of place....
    Yep, it took me a bit to realize exactly where the reply buttons were. They kinda blended with the background.

On the same track, I know people put a lot of effort into writing these histories and I don't edit lightly. I prefer to discuss before making any changes, but if you insist...

I can edit with impunity.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTall View Post
    Hmm, I'm thinking that the last thing they would do is voluntarily admit the loss - Medoere only went a decade ago so many Diemans still probably refer to 'the rebels' or 'the provinces'.

That said ruins of empire describes Heirl Diem as 'Diemed's warrior baron' and uses baron to describe him several times.

Cmalik is the obvious person to ask...
    Personally, the way I answered this question in my game was have the change occur when Roesone split off. The son of the previous Duke, in no position to wage further war against Roesone, decided to try negotiation and espionage instead and so adopted the title of Baron of Diemed. The act of apparent 'contrition' ensured peace returned to Diemed and they could begin plotting in peace.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaleela View Post
    Yep, it took me a bit to realize exactly where the reply buttons were. They kinda blended with the background.

On the same track, I know people put a lot of effort into writing these histories and I don't edit lightly. I prefer to discuss before making any changes, but if you insist...

I can edit with impunity.
    Anyone can edit with impunity, although I'm sure we'd all rather that they edited with dignity and responsibility.

You are right of course, although it depends on context - fixing spelling and other pedantry (as long as you are sure that you are right) probably doesn't need discussion - on this one I think that it's just one prince out of place - I'm good with the barons at the end on reflection.

Thread Information