Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I haven't seen a warlock tried yet.

But a tie to the shadow world could work there. Something like a halfling warlock. Not really demonic descent but rather other worldly (as in the Shadow World).

Scout (complete Adventurerer) would be a very good class - especially for the Rjurik and elves.
    Duane Eggert

Ehrshegh of Spelling Thelandrin's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    During a dual attempt to extend my roleplaying skills and play a True bloodline, I designed and played Lachlan, son of Rhuobhe Manslayer. I used the standard Ranger class (with Favoured Enemy: Humans of course), but instead of the combat style, I opted for Fast Movement at 2nd-level, which I thought fit the theme better.
    I was also planning to use the Darkwood Stalker PrC from Complete Warrior, which is usually themed towards Orcs, but the fluff is perfect for a Cerilian Elf hunting humans.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Unfortunately, while True20 lies near the correct direction (and so does the new d20 Stars Wars Roleplaying Game: Saga Edition), it's not quite there.

Downloads
    Uploads

My highest level PC in Birthright is Crillars Blueleaf. He is a 2nd Edition Fighter Warlock Elf. My DM at the time thought it was a hoot to allow the class in, and since fighter mages were allowed for elves the extension to Fighter Warlocks wasn't that far of a step.

The old warlock/witch class limits male witchs to the lower levels of witch/warlock class magic. It made for an interesting PC though. he ended up 21/16 after years of gaming.

I know this isn't one of the new classes, but I can see that such classes should be allowed into the realms of regents in the game.

Later

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well I used Warlocks to depict corrupted demon worshipping spellcasters of Aduria, and it did a good job...

But as I said; I am trying to remove that WOTC model for my Birthright campaign...
    Last edited by ShadowMoon; 04-23-2007 at 05:23 PM.
    "If the wizards and students who lived here centuries ago had practiced control - in their spellcasting and in their dealings with the politics of the empire - you would be studying in a tall tower made by the best dwarf stone masons, not in an old military barracks."
    Applied Thaumaturgy Lector of the Royal College of Sorcery to new generation of students.

Quote Originally Posted by irdeggman View Post
    Scout (complete Adventurerer) would be a very good class - especially for the Rjurik and elves.
    dude...

I so shouldve made that! and my brand new character is Rjuvrik too. Ah well, I like him too much to change him now, heh heh.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Very powerful in low-levels, no match for a wizard/ sorcerer in high levels...
    May Khirdai always bless your sword and his lightning struck your enemies!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariadne View Post
    Very powerful in low-levels, no match for a wizard/ sorcerer in high levels...

I didn't mean I haven't seen (or played) a warlock - only that I haven't seen one in a BR setting.

IMO warlocks are not inbalanced compared to sorcerers/wizards at any level.

But this isn't about the class as a whole only about using it in a BR setting.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    I didn't mean I haven't seen (or played) a warlock - only that I haven't seen one in a BR setting.
    Maybe the elves around the Manslayer can be warlocks. May match...

IMO warlocks are not inbalanced compared to sorcerers/wizards at any level.
    Depends strongly, if you use PrCs or not. The warlock has some PrCs presented in CM, the sorcerer/ Wizard has PrCs presented nearly everywhere and there starts the problem...

Examples:

Level 1: Warlock (Eldrich blast 1d6/round, every round till he can't stand any more ), Wizard (Magic Missile 1d4+1 or say Lesser Orb of Acid 1d8, two or maybe 3 times and then he uses a crossbow), Sorcerer (either Magic Missile OR Orb of Acid 4 times to 5 times a day and then he uses a crossbow)...

Level 12: Warlock (Eldrich Blast 6d6 every round, great invocations and some gimmics; maybe Quicken Spell-like Ability [3xday] Eldrich blast 6d6), Wizard (Disintegrate 24d6, if failed save AND Quickened Orb of Acid 5d8), Sorcerer with Rapid Metamagic same as Wizard, but more often and I didn't consider some nice gimmicks like Rods of Metamagic Maximize or Quicken and PrC's like Incantatrix...

Well, convince me, but I think, the warlock is a bit weaker (and alot weaker if the Wizard/ Sorcerer hat the right PrC(s)) at high levels...
    May Khirdai always bless your sword and his lightning struck your enemies!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariadne View Post
    Depends strongly, if you use PrCs or not. The warlock has some PrCs presented in CM, the sorcerer/ Wizard has PrCs presented nearly everywhere and there starts the problem...

Well, convince me, but I think, the warlock is a bit weaker (and alot weaker if the Wizard/ Sorcerer hat the right PrC(s)) at high levels...
    Never use prestige classes as measure of how balanced a base class is.

The prestige class is totally different than the base and should always be considered as such.

I do agree that until CM there was little to no support for the warlock class while wizards have been the focus of D&D since the very beginning.

Wizards/sorcerers can use scrolls and wands at low levels to make up for reduced spell slots when compared to the warlock's edritch blast. Wizards get scribe scroll as a free 1st level feat and a class can use a wand with a spell on their class list at any time. So a 1st level wizard could use a wand of fireball if he acquired one with no penalty.

At higher levels a warlock can use UMD to tremendous effect and has the choice on when choosing invocations along the way to get things like fly at will all day long (Fell Flight, lesser invocation, speed equal to land speed). He gets energy resistance 5 or 10 to two different energy types, DR (up to) 5/cold iron and Fast Healing 1/day from 1 to 5 (depending on level).

As I said IMO they are pretty well balanced throughout. Of course there will always be "bumps" and situations where a certain class is clearly more powerful than others, but that is part of the overall scheme of the system.
    Last edited by irdeggman; 04-27-2007 at 02:38 PM.
    Duane Eggert

Thread Information