Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Maybe I'm misreading Cities of the Sun, but it reads to me like they sent every able-bodied person into the fight, and that those who were left when the able-bodied didn't come back had to flee looting of the now mostly-empty cities (presumably by the Basarji?). Those who survived regrouped at the capital Masetium which was then taken over by the Serpent. That would leave little to no fading into or conquest by the Basarji. Is there other source material that says something different from that? (There likely is, so I'm curious so I can try to find a copy).
    My Homepage | My Livejournal
    "I understand. You have a very special relationship with Sera." - ship's captain
    "Yes. It's very special. She smiles at me alot. Often, it's with derision." - Arden Kurt

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by kgauck View Post
    What two sources to you find in conflict?
    Probably what I should have said is that there are disconnects and descrepencies in other PS, not necessarily dealing with the Masetians.

I blended two thoughts. Sorry.
    Last edited by Jaleela; 04-20-2007 at 01:30 AM. Reason: edited to correct a spelling error

Downloads
    Uploads
    I added some fluff to show that its one interpretation not fact, I should possibly put an observation banner on it or strip out all the commentary but hope that the 'scholars say' is sufficient

If I've gone OTT let me know. The excuses for the invasion are not necessarily a medieval approach (although not unknown, the crusdaers rarely said 'for land and loot!) and conquering the barbarians would quite possibly have been one rallying call to action...

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a PC that's playing a real Masetian bent on taking the Serpent out and rebuilding the Masetian Empire (hey ya gotta have goals). So I've been digging through a lot of the Masetian history in the supplements which is why it caught my eye.

I like to have reasons for why things happen as well. So no worries.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Given the generally Arab feel of the Khinasi, I imagined the Masetians as Egyptians.

Downloads
    Uploads
    We modeled them after the Etruscans with a smattering of Greek and Roman.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Given the generally Arab feel of the Khinasi, I imagined the Masetians as Egyptians.
    Which Dynasty?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaleela View Post
    Which Dynasty?
    I didn't model them that closely. It was more the sense of their antiquity as a civilization, their long history as a solar people with anxieties over the land of the dead and the journey through it. Special roles for learning and the learned class. I never had the opportunity, but had I the need to show an ancient Masetians scholar I would have selected the image of an Egyptian scribe. The importance and some specific importances of the priestly class. Strong work in geometry.

My own pet theory is that Diesmaar was a bronze age battle, so the Masetians probabaly went to war looking like Ramses II's army at Kadesh.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like the bronze age idea - it justifies a lower tech in 'current day' Cerilia than the books suggest, and lower tech reduces high level imbalances (lower AC means even high level PC's can be hit without a critical).

It also reduces the issue of ancient magic items - you can't make a longsword with bronze/copper and so anyone who wants that 'vorpal blade of Omach the unborn' has to sacrifice some reach and damage...

Downloads
    Uploads

Given the numerous references to the Masetians being great mariners I have always erred on the Phoenician or Greek culture.

Taking into account the arid nature of the clime perhaps Phoenician is the way I would turn. This would also account for their low numbers if they were a dispersed people of merchants. After loosing their great fleet fighting the shadow they had no way to maintain contact with their dispersed colonies that simply got absorbed/conquered or enslaved ala the Serpent.
    Good Morning Peasant!!

Thread Information