Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Heraldry

Downloads
    Uploads
    So, following on after Prince Dios,

Roesone - gold field, black hart. fits the rules of blazon better, and is the imagin in Ruins.

Ilien - Pick the boat image, classical blazon for a trading city like Nantes. We need colors, though.

Aerenwe - I'd select the unicorn from the Ilien arms, as a symbol of the Erbannien, probably white charge blue field.

Medeore - Prince Dios proposes "purple with a crescent moon, as befitting a Ruornite scoiety," but I think those are the arms of the Celestial Spell. Everyone needs arms, temples, guilds, so I'd go with the black and gold lozenges, or the gold and red bendy. I suspect that the second quadrant of the arms, are the three provinces of Medoere, suggesting that Medoere has no arms proper. I'm also keen on a field blue, a red chevron with a white border.

Mieres - See Ilien

Boeruine - I think the image on page 22 may be the same image mirrored, I'd go with a single lion rampant in gold on a purple field.

Talinie - white field with a blue bear

Avan - red field, gold two-headed eagle. The Imperial arms of both Germany and Russia is a two headed eagle.

Ghoere - red field with an gold dragon. Yes its similar to Avan, but with five colors and two metals to work with, you run out of original stuff pretty quickly.

Mhoried - The arms on page 38 are nice indeed, but what realm has quartered arms? I think those are his personal arms, representing the arms of Mhoried and the arms of the current ruling house. The arms shown on 22 may be the common form used, but I would hold that Mhoried proper is one of them.

Tuornen - Blue is a fine color for the field, I'll second that. The hart is fine, and appears on the PS, but we have no geometric shapes yet either, and I'd suggest Tournen's arms might be simply vair.

Alamie - I would suspect that Alamie and Tournen are very similar since both claim to be the true Archduchy of Alamie. Maybe Alamie is Vair and Tournen the white hart on blue as suggested.

Elinie - Unless the sunburst was a color, it violates the rules of blazon, and I'm inclined to reject white on gold or gold on white. Only the Papacy used those colors, and their arms are a bit special anyway. Aryia is a gold sunburst on blue (or green). Let's employ a color for either the field or the charge.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ilien - Azure, a carack or (Ilien being on the Straits, and a rich city)

Aerenwe - Vert(?) to represent the Erebannian, a unicorn armed or (need the attitude: Rampant, couchant, etc...

No problem with medore bearing a crescent moon, makes since for the moon god.

Boeruine: I'm gonna stick with combatant lions.

I created my own for Alamie.

Sunburst isn't a color. It is however a charge. Perhaps a red field with a rayed sun or. Might be a little too close to the symbol of Haelyn, so perhaps placing the sun on a green field?

Ariya seems to be a Turquois. So it'd be a varient of azure or vert.

If someone whipped up a couple nice full color pages of shields covering each realm's heraldry, would there be a place for them in the Atlas? How's the Atlas coming, by the way.

Until a week ago, I hadn't visited this place for a year or so.

Downloads
    Uploads

Colour Range

Quote Originally Posted by kgauck View Post
    <snip>...
    Ghoere - red field with an gold dragon. Yes its similar to Avan, but with five colors and two metals to work with, you run out of original stuff pretty quickly.
    ...<snip>
    There's also a number of furs (4 from memory)
    Which five colours was this being restricted to? I thought there was more used - only the primaries and black / white? If we are planning an organised heraldry for an entire continent (and I can't imagine it was too orgainised in RW history), perhaps we can use the secondaries as well, moving the range to eight colours?

Doyle.
    Doyle

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ermine (black fur on white), Ermines (white "tails" on black), Erminois (black tails on gold), Pean (gold tails on black), and Vair (6 different presentations) are furs.

Plumete (feathers)

Papellone

If a Sovereign has more than one territory, you can start partioning.

There are a ton of attributes, attitudes, ordinaries, sub-ordinaries, borders, marks of cadence, it's not as limited as one might think.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Richard III gave the College of Heraldry their charter in 1483. It's been organized and understood for a few centuries.

There are some differeing rules at times, but there is a formal language.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Per Stephan Friar's "A Dictionary of Heraldry" pg. 30

tincture:

Metals:

Or Yellow Gold
    Argent White Silver

Colors:

Gules Red
    Azure Blue
    Vert Green
    Sable Black
    Purpure Purple
    Tenne (accented e) Orange
    Sanguine Blood Red
    Murrey Wine color

Downloads
    Uploads

Ilien. A similar image can be seen on page 14 as a banner behind Rogr.

Avanil. I have another version of this with a slightly different eagle.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd move the charge to a more central location on Ilien, it looks a bit odd sitting that low on the shield.

Downloads
    Uploads

The charge is centered a bit more. I brought this a little more into the standard colors I use. I have an awful lot of these, mostly historical.

Thread Information