Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Favorite Domain to DM

Sort of a mindless question but I was just wondering what the community thinks. I have run birthright from 2nd ed right on into now 3.5 (Great conversion by the way guys) and I love how the setting can be reused especialy if the D.M. just changes and tweaks a few things, namely the major NPC's and their motivations. Also my group are mainly older (Read 20+ year gaming geeks) who love the politics and roleplay nearly as much as good old fashioned bloodshed.

Anyway from a D.M. point of view I think it has got to be Tuornen. It just has so many issues and potential problems that the players can really feel like they are doing great deeds if they can prop up the domain.

In this incarnation the players are blooded Scions of the Various Bloodlines outlined in Tuornen, however they as of yet rule no domains. The are running about Tuornen trying to support Duchess Flaertes (Who at this point is just a Lt. of her insane father) The various factions of court (Pro Laela, Pro Insane Figure Head dad, pro Bastard Half Brother I added, pro WIT, pro MOC,pro Boeruine, pro Avin...etc) are really gonna make things interesting. Not to mention the players own political ambitions.

I love poor little strife torn Tuornen.
    Last edited by Dcolby; 04-10-2007 at 12:16 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like Roesone, personally. It`s got an awesome mix of intrigue and fantasy
    adventure possibilities. It`s next to the sea. It has some awesome realms
    next to it, including exotic Illien and mysterious Medeore and a couple of
    ever-dominant threats boding ill for Roesone. Who knows what the mysterious
    High Mage Aelies is up to and competition with Aranwe gives us some friendly
    rivalry, diplomacy, and court politics/events.

In the midst of all this, Roesone itself is surprisingly primitive. They`re
    good, hard-working folk, and yet, they are positioned in a very strategic
    area, covering large tracts of land, and large amounts of resources.
    Playing Roesone is always either purely offensive or purely defensive, but
    you can never just ABSTAIN from nearby politics.

Medeore, Roesone, Ilien, Arenwe, and Endier, alone with a host of local
    domain holders, gives you a broad and eclectric group to form a "game of
    thrones" for a variety of PC types, while Ghoere, Diemed, Osuorde, and the
    Spider give a GM ample room to design adventures and campaigns around. Wild
    rumors of Mieres are always fun.

I love that whole area.

On 4/9/07, Dcolby <brnetboard@birthright.net> wrote:
    >
    > This post was generated by the Birthright.net message forum.
    > You can view the entire thread at:
    > http://www.birthright.net/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=3569
    >
    > Dcolby wrote:
    > Sort of a mindless question but I was just wondering what the community
    > thinks. I have run birthright from 2nd ed right on into now 3.5 (Great
    > conversion by the way guys) and I love how the setting can be reused
    > especialy if the D.M. just changes and tweaks a few things, namely the
    > major NPC`s and their motivations. Also my group are mainly older (Read 20+
    > year gaming geeks) who love the politics and roleplay nearly as much as good
    > old fashioned bloodshed.
    >
    >
    >
    > Anyway from a D.M. point of view I think it has got to be Tuornen. It just
    > has so many issues and potential problems that the players can really feel
    > like they are doing great deeds if they can prop up the domain.
    >
    >
    >
    > In this incarnation the players are blooded Scions of the Various
    > Bloodlines outlined in Tuornen, however they as of yet rule no domains. The
    > are running about Tuornen trying to support Duchess Flaertes (Who at this
    > point is just a Lt. of her insane father) The various factions of court (Pro
    > Laela, Pro Insane Figure Head dad, pro Bastard Half Brother I added, pro
    > WIT, pro MOC,pro Boeruine, pro Avin...etc) are really gonna make things
    > interesting. Not to mention the players own political ambitions.
    >
    >
    >
    > I love poor little strife torn Tuornen.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Birthright-l Archives:
    > http://oracle.wizards.com/archives/birthright-l.html
    >
    >
    >

I prefer any of the Rjurik nations myself. I loved the movie "The 13th Warrior" and always picture those characters in my head, when roleplaying up in that area. Plus I'm part Irish, so the culture is similar to my own background, sorta.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcolby View Post
    Anyway from a D.M. point of view I think it has got to be Tuornen. It just has so many issues and potential problems that the players can really feel like they are doing great deeds if they can prop up the domain. [...] I love poor little strife torn Tuornen.
    Sounds like you've got a great campaign. Though I think any realm can be beset by crisis after crisis without too much trouble.

I like to run games just below the level of kings, so the players are provincial rulers, royal officials, or high ranking in the domains. A good realm for me has some ambiguity about which faction to join, which rulers to embrace, and which to oppose.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think at this point they are simply trying to figure out the other (NPC)courtiers motivations. It will become more complicated once they start to chase their own political ambitions and or reconcil those ambitions with familial obligations.
    Good Morning Peasant!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Tuornen is my favourite, too, and for similar reasons. I can't really draw a comparison with other realms, though, as my first, still running BR campaign is set here and I haven't tried out any other realm.

I first chose Tuornen, because when reading the PS I thought it'd be nearly impossible to keep this realm intact with all those different power groups involved and I wondered what a group of PCs could achieve there.

Coincidently, I also added a (power-)mad brother to Laela Flaertes and also a younger sister (a PC). As the Campaign now stands, Laela has just been murdered (and bloodthefted) by her brother's bride who keeps her husband-to-be firmly enthralled and longs to see Tuornen destroyed. Already the growing evil of her brother's decisions and his will to marry her off is driving my PC crazy
    A confrontation seems unevitable...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcolby View Post
    I think at this point they are simply trying to figure out the other (NPC)courtiers motivations. It will become more complicated once they start to chase their own political ambitions and or reconcil those ambitions with familial obligations.
    How did you connect the PC's to families? Did players design their families? Did you assign families to them? Did you present a variety of families and let them choose? Or did you have another method?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't have a specific domain that I like DMing more than another, I enjoy working with the entire continent. However, my most active domains are Diemed and Rohrmarch. Both players are very well read in the history of our world and try to apply some of that knowledge to their domains.

The player for Diemed has managed through diplomacy and sacrifice, to gain much of Diemed's old territory and make some powerful allies, thus securing his borders.

The same for the player of Rohrmarch, though he tends to be more direct and sometimes doesn't think about the consequences of an action, thus making for some interesting interactions with his neighbors or notable Awnsheghlien.

I enjoy playing (and running) Medoere. It's interesting to see what players will do with the land "protected by the Silver Prince." =) And Diemed being the antagonist to the west always makes for some good fun.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm a HUGE fan of Aerenwe. I love having the Erebannien as a buffer of sorts. I also like having the PC's approached by William Moergan to aid against Jaison Raenech. It also gives room for other opportunities. The PC's could aid Medoere if Diemed gets uppity. They could aid Roesone if Ghoere gets to misbehavin'.

Not to mention the bloodline there is pretty cool, as Michael Roele's wife came from Aerenwe. They also have some awesome horses. =)

Thread Information