Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Downloads
    Uploads
    How long has the game been going on?

What I mean is how long (real time) and sesssions-wise has it taken to unite the realm?

If it has been too quick then things fall into the no one feels like they have developed a role in the overall empire.

It also strikes me that this game is falling into the WoW syndrome. I have seen too many people play RPGs like computer games and really miss out on the long term story.

Not to harp on the DM, but it seems like it designed the game to be a high king one (why else have someone from the Roele bloodline be a PC?)

This should have been made clear from the get go.

Now, let the other players read the 2nd ed material concerning the history of Roele, the Iron Throne adventure is another good one for seeing how the empire is lacking an emperor.

Also the 2nd ed material is very, very clear on the role of bards in the game. They are not supposed to be regents, and definitely not regents with a capital "R" (as in landed, emperor types). Being such a regent goes against the very core of that class.

Having said all of that it might be best for a reset of the game since it will not end well if thigns progress the way they seem to be.

Start over with a clear end game concept for everyone here. Really it is not that far a concpet to do either. After the Iron Throne is claimed everything else is pretty much anti-climatic. Well except for getting rid of the Gorgon.
    Duane Eggert

This game has gone on for 2 years now (in real time.) In game time, probably the same. The GM never stated it was a kingly game, but in the beginning, everyone was very supportive of who I was and went out of their way to protect me, to hide my identity until the time was right. I was a precious commodity to them and someone they wanted to keep alive at all cost.

Now, they seem to have changed their minds or suddenly think that being a guilder or a priest or wizard with sources will not be enough for them to do (when I'm trying to explain that a landed regent NEEDS the help and friendship and alliances of the inner circles within the country.) Sometimes I think I am just being unfair, but then I realize in the OTHER group that I'm glad to help the "heir to be" and do my best to contribute.

I just felt extremely cheated that they are pushing this council thing so hard, that my bloodline was also being cheated (speaking in character.)

I again thank you for your answers and consideration. I have gotten more responses than I had ever hoped for and it makes me feel better on a very big level.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Two years is quite a while for a campaign. If they are worried they won't have enough to do (for example if the DM is generating province only random and planned events) then ask the GM to throw some action their way. alternatively they may just be getting bored with their characters.

Alternatively your character could contact other realm leaders and bemoan the lackadaisical guilds and wizards you have, such rumours travel swiftly and someone is bound to be interested in testing whether the guilder really spends all time at the court mired in intrigue rather than running their own guilds and such-like...

I would note that it's not unreasonable for the merchant's guild, etc to advise the king, particularly if the king has come to ask for money to wage a war or finance a palace. The merchants just need to go about it in the right way - as long as the king is seen to be in charge and the advisers are only offering wisdom their input isn't a problem.

Of course if a guilder or wizard has too great a power over the throne it does more than make the king look weak. Rival merchants and nobles will fear the guilder's influence and conspire against them, the churches will fear the wizard's wisdom will displace their own; assassination is an ugly word, but karma has a way of happening very quickly to the enemies of the rich and powerful.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The problem seems to be that they do not want to be advisors or landed regents who swear fealty to the Emperor, they want to rule Anuire as a council. Again, having been in this situation, it just doesn't make sense for a Feudal-setting and it lessens the importance of a Birthright or bloodlines (especially the line of Roele.)

Nobody should be able to question YOUR right to rule the land YOUR forefathers once ruled. If your father, grandfather, great-grandfather, whatnot ruled a piece of land, then they have no right to tell you what to do, how to rule, etc. Either they want to be a part of it or they don't. I don't think you a "dictator" at all. You're the heir to Anuire, of an ancient line that ruled the most powerful nation on Cerilia. Even Arthur (who had a round table) had to make a final decision in the end. He was Arthur for God's sake.

If the game did not have an heir of Roele (as the GM obviously allowed in your campaign,) then I'd say have at it. Invest lands as you wish, try to unite regardless of your lineage. But, to have someone in your group that is of the Roele bloodline--it's political suicide to try and remove that component: it persuades, it inspires, it's connected directly to the land.

My suggestion would be to just do your own thing. Get with the GM and go over options. It sounds like the GM understands your situation, but doesn't want to get involved. He/She could probably nip it in the butt by having the Chamberlain state, "make a council if you wish, but I will only recognize the true emperor/empress of Anuire as the ONE to sit upon the Iron Throne." NPC's can help a lot in that situation.

Were I the Chamberlain, I would probably get a good laugh out of a group of players trying to ursurp the throne from the rightful line of Roele. By saying "look, we have a descendent of Roele here and they're gonna try to unite Anuire... BUT, we don't want them to because WE want to rule by committee" is like telling the Chamberlain that HE and all he stands for is obsolete, that his ancestors and HIS bloodline mean nothing. His job is to guard the Iron Throne until the one ruler emerges to unite the land.

Now, he could decide that a council would work. But in the end, I think even in that case it could be argued that a council can never replace one ruler. As Uther said in Excalibur: one land, one king.

This doesn't mean you ignore your advisors or that you can't have an advisory council and players who run guilds/temples/wizards. A King/Emperor needs his/her guilders and templars and wizards. Without that support, how can a leader succeed? And you don't sound like you'd be out making bad decisions willy nilly. It could be they just don't trust you to make these decisions without their fingers in all your pies (so to say.) That would be a dynamic that needs to be worked on in game and outside of game. Perhaps they are not seeing how important these roles are?

Tell them to make their council, WITHOUT you, and you separate and seek your birthright on your own. See how far they get without the Roele name in the eyes of the people. If they are without your name and your bloodline, they may start to realize just how important this name really is and what it can do for the people of Anuire. It's almost like they want to use your name to get Anuire united, then toss you aside when they're done and THEY get what they want. True friends would aid you no matter what (like in the other group you mentioned.)

On that note, I run another campaign where we have a descendent of Roele trying to unite the land. He's gained the favor of the Chamberlain. The other people in the group are working their butts off to help him. Not a single one has said "hey, let's rule by council because I don't trust you." They know he's the one king. They help him. They have faith in him. There's no snottiness or cattiness. It's a blessing. When it works, you would be amazed at how amazing the game can be. When it turns sour, it's just no FUN anymore.

Ramble ramble. Hope you get it worked out.

Thread Information