Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Halflings and Dimension Door

Hi. In CH 2, the Travel ability talks about using Dimension Door like halflings, but the ability does not show up under halfling traits or the Shadow Walker feat. Am I looking in the wrong places or is there anything missing from the current manual? Please help, cuz that was my most useful trait before.

Thanks.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The ability is described, but the term "dimesion door" is not there. You can see how this works under the Shadow Walker feat. Make a Wis check and pass into the SW.

While I'm writing about the Shadow Walker feat, it seems like the perfect opportunity to add a Shadow World skill. Shadow Walker could make the skill, let's call it Knowledge (Shadow World) a class skill, and this skill could be used not only to cross the boundry between the daylight and shadow worlds, but for identifying SW phenomena, Seeming checks, and so on.

Downloads
    Uploads
    kgauck, please do repeat what you are talking about: I can make neither heads nor tails out of it.

Btw, there already is a Knowledge (Shadow World) skill.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My copy of the BRCS, dated Jan 30, 2003, makes no mention of a skill Knowledge (Shadow World). I downloaded it in Sept 2006 from this site. The skills section mentions a Knowledge (Bloodlines) but makes no mention of a Shadow World knowledge skill.

Putting that aside, the Shadow Walker feat should make Knowledge (Shadow World) a class skill. This skill should be used to penetrate the barrier between the daylight world and the Shadow World, rather than a wisdom check (though a wisdom check does nicely for an untrained use of the skill).

Bloodspawn contained a unique mechanic for detecting and dealing with the Seeming in the Seeming score. For visitors, detecting and navigating the Seeming could be accomplished by means of a Knowledge (Shadow World).

Since SW denizens can cross into the daylight world just as we can cross into their world (by halfling ability or by spell), this knowledge ability could be used to identify a creature as originating from the SW.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was wondering about the original ability of using dimension door 7/week from the original campaign set. Unless that meant crossing into the SW and my group misinterpreted it altogether. Any thoughts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by kgauck
    My copy of the BRCS, dated Jan 30, 2003, makes no mention of a skill Knowledge (Shadow World). I downloaded it in Sept 2006 from this site. The skills section mentions a Knowledge (Bloodlines) but makes no mention of a Shadow World knowledge skill.
    Try the sanctioned versions of Chapter 1 and 2. Use the pinned thread at the top of this one to get them.

It does have the mechanics for going into the shadow world under the sahadow walker feat.

There is a brief discussion of "other" skills like knowledge (shadow world) and the list of bonuses due to synergy gives a bonus to survival checks made in the shadow world.

Essentially knowledge (shadow world) would be the shadow world equivalent of knowledge (nature) in the "normal" world.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by birddogtx
    I was wondering about the original ability of using dimension door 7/week from the original campaign set. Unless that meant crossing into the SW and my group misinterpreted it altogether. Any thoughts.
    The original rules were for 3/week. And it was either dimension door or shadow walk (or any combination of the two, but not 3 of each).
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi. In CH 2, the Travel ability talks about using Dimension Door like halflings, but the ability does not show up under halfling traits or the Shadow Walker feat. Am I looking in the wrong places or is there anything missing from the current manual? Please help, cuz that was my most useful trait before.

Thanks.
    Good catch.

In the sanctioned versions of chap 1 and 2 there is a mismatch.

The travel blood ability (for azrai) does indeed mention dimension door and the shadow walker feat. The shadow walker feat no longer is tied to dimension door but has its own mechanic.

The blood ability wording should be changed to remove reference to dimension door and instead state:

Azrai: Azrai’s scions can enter the Shadow World between sunset and sunrise, gaining the ability to step into the shadow world in the same manner as a Halfling with the Shadow Walker feat.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks. Any idea of putting the dim. door ability in the system?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks. Any idea of putting the dim. door ability in the system?
    No it is the way it is based on much discussion and consensus.

The concept was to enable the halflings to be able to cross over (via shadow walk. Giving them a "freebie" would have put them at a LA since that dimension door ability is real powerful.

The progression via feats was to also capture the stuff about halflings leading troops through the shadow world ala the novels.

Now the blood ability was likewise "balanced" and since it was a shadow world issue the match to what the halfling ability was became necessary.
    Duane Eggert

Thread Information