Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The Hand of Azrai is an interesting case.

I have always toyed with the idea of making her a fiend (perhads an erinye). And, I think the BRCS went with a similar idea.

Due to its unique nature, I can imagine an angel or a fiend accumulating regency without having a bloodline. But, that's probably off-topic . . . .

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Gorgon has a number of blooded henchmen, so I don't see the problem with the Hand being blooded.

If you don't like the idea of him valuing a good servant more than a source of blood strength, consider the long term possibilities of breeding - a bloodline may only kick in at adolescence but given the Gorgon's life-span it makes sense to let other blooded regents serve him - those with strong blood-lines will gravitate to positions of power naturally - all of which are within arm's reach for when they inevitably fail or outgrow their usefulness.

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTall
    The Gorgon has a number of blooded henchmen, so I don't see the problem with the Hand being blooded.
    No, it's not a problem per se. It's just that Abominations specifically mentions that she is not blooded. Which in turn raised the question, even in 2nd Ed, of whether non-blooded characters could be regents of a sort.

-Fizz

Downloads
    Uploads
    Noted and agreed.

I had the view from the text that she was non-blooded because a blooded regent would have been consumed by the Gorgon, there is similar text regarding the Swordhawk in Realms of the Great Bay. In my view it restricted the possibilities with using the Gorgon - if PC's meet him then one way or the other its pretty much game over, if he has a range of lieutenants you get all the awnshegh goodness without ending the game if one drops.

Since unblooded rulers exist in all other D&D games, and in history, I would say that the unblooded should certainly be able to be regents, just not very good ones - one reason why I prefer BRCS to the original. In some house rules I gave a bonus to maximum RP collected equal to the charisma modifier and a maximum hoard of RP at the end of a turn equal to triple the charisma modifier. Scions were still far superior, but in very small realms the unblooded could hold their own - as long as they acted cautiously.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Let me ask another question about a (0) holding at another level.

For holding a campaign, will you consider creating (0) holding for the following purposes?

(a) A regent wants his heir to learn to be a ruler, so he created a (0) holding within his own land for him.

(b) A regent promotes a lieutenant to be a vassal with a (0) holding.

(c) A regent grants a (0) holding to a PC as an reward, and making the PC a vassal of the regent at the same time.

M.A.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mayiuchung

(a) A regent wants his heir to learn to be a ruler, so he created a (0) holding within his own land for him.
    It is a holding.

(b) A regent promotes a lieutenant to be a vassal with a (0) holding.
    It is a holding

(c) A regent grants a (0) holding to a PC as an reward, and making the PC a vassal of the regent at the same time.
    It is a holding.

I don't know what you are trying to ask here?

A 0-level holding is a holding for all intensive purposes. In 2nd ed rules any regent (must be blooded) who had a holidng (of any level) got the regent benefits - +10 hit points and ability to perform domain actions.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would agree that all of the examples are holdings - to be created using a 'create holding' action however not simply a decree even though the 'real' regent is just hiving off a fragment of his domain.

I would note that history is full of 'loyal' sons and lieutenants who were granted a 'minor holding' and grew it to take over the 'parent holding' at a time and manner of their choosing - not that of the parent.

Since a 0-level holding generates no GB or RP the regent of it will gain no hp under BRCS - so aside from some potential and local kudos it should have little effect (like being granted a minor title).

I would consider granting a 0-level holding for all of mayiuchung's reasons, and add:

To permit an ally to support my actions more readily (i.e. a province owner who controls all the law granting the temple regent a 0-level holding so that the priesthood can help him influence law related matters with RP and / or GB).

To recognise deserving actions by granting a minor title that lets them stand above the crowd.

To advertise potential enemies to the world at large - a 0-level holding is a potential rival to the existing powers to be courted or crushed and a wise regent will often leave the destruction of their enemies to others.

Thread Information