Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

With a holding (0), am I a regent?

According to the Rulebook(p32), "A 1st-level fighter with 7 hit points is raised to 17 hit points when he is designated as a regent.",

Again from the Rulebook(p.18), "Fighter regents automatically begin play with 4d6+10 elite bodyguard."

And according to the Book of Magecraft(p.18), "Once the wizard locates a source, he may use create holding domain action to established it as a holding(0).... If a wizard controls no holdings, he may use the create holding domain action even though he is not yet a regent....scions may performa create holding action to establish themselves as regents."

Does a holding (0) of any type grant any of benefit id est extra hit points, bodyguard, free domain action et cetera?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes it does.

Recognizing, of course that the character must be a scion in the first place - since only scions can have holdings in 2nd ed.

This distinguishes between a non-blooded elf and a scion wizard. Both can cast greater magic, but only the scion wizard can cast realm magic (i.e., controls a source).

Let me clarify this some.

Only a scion can control a source holding. So a scion fighter can not control a source holding - that is be a regent of such a holding.

This is the one that is restricted to certain classes. BoM gives examples of "controlling" a source but not really controlling it. Essentially only a blooded wizard can actually control a source holding - and only a blooded wizard can create said holding.
    Last edited by irdeggman; 01-22-2007 at 04:26 PM.
    Duane Eggert

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by irdeggman
    Recognizing, of course that the character must be a scion in the first place - since only scions can have holdings in 2nd ed.
    Because you mention it, does this mean that in 3E you don't have to be a scion to have holdings? I realize you still would need to be a scion to control a source though, but are other holdings open to non-scions? Does this mean they gain 0 regency? How would that work?

Clearly i need to brush up on the 3E domain rules.

I recall that Abominations mentions the Gorgon's priest, who apparently had holdings but `could not be blooded because the Gorgon would have consumed her long ago'.

-Fizz

Birthright Developer
    Downloads
    Uploads
    On 1/22/07, Fizz <brnetboard@birthright.net> wrote:
    > Because you mention it, does this mean that in 3E you don`t have to be a scion to have
    > holdings? I realize you still would need to be a scion to control a source though, but are
    > other holdings open to non-scions? Does this mean they gain 0 regency? How would
    > that work?

In 2nd edition, create holding had no RP cost, just 1 GB. Ruling up a
    holding cost 1 GB + target level RP (for holdings), or target level GB
    + RP (for provinces).

In the 3rd edition rules, this changed slightly. Create Holding is
    unchanged, 1 GB. Ruling up a holding costs 1 GB or (target province
    level) GBs, and has an escalating Rule check DC. DC 11 for level 1,
    DC 12 for 2, and so on. You can spend RPs to bring the DC down, but
    you are not required to.

So an unblooded person could theoretically rule a domain. He wouldn`t
    get any RP income, just the GBs, and he`d be at a disadvantage because
    he wouldn`t ever have RPs to spend, but he could do it.

Which is probably my favorite change in the 3e draft rules. Small,
    but it opens up possibilities.

--
    Daniel McSorley

Downloads
    Uploads

temple holdings

I was wondering about temple holdings starting up. If a priest wanted to try and gain power and recognition in a province that is already full of temple holdings (particularly for the state religion), can he/she set up a holding(0)? I imagine this is a small set of secret worshippers who have their own private shrines and rarely (if ever) meet as a community. If so, does that mean that the priest is a regent? Or does the priest have to somehow go straight to holding (1) before they can be regarded a regent?

Sorontar

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizz
    Because you mention it, does this mean that in 3E you don't have to be a scion to have holdings? I realize you still would need to be a scion to control a source though, but are other holdings open to non-scions? Does this mean they gain 0 regency? How would that work?

Clearly i need to brush up on the 3E domain rules.

I recall that Abominations mentions the Gorgon's priest, who apparently had holdings but `could not be blooded because the Gorgon would have consumed her long ago'.

-Fizz
    yes you can.

But in order to gain any of the regent benefits (like bonus hit points) you need to have a level of scion class. And in order to take a level of scion class you have to be a scion.

Also as has been pointed out you can only gain GB but not RP unless you are blooded.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorontar
    I was wondering about temple holdings starting up. If a priest wanted to try and gain power and recognition in a province that is already full of temple holdings (particularly for the state religion), can he/she set up a holding(0)? I imagine this is a small set of secret worshippers who have their own private shrines and rarely (if ever) meet as a community. If so, does that mean that the priest is a regent? Or does the priest have to somehow go straight to holding (1) before they can be regarded a regent?

Sorontar
    In order to be a regent you only have to have a holding. It doesn't matter what level the holding is. Now in order to have any influence - you need to have a holding with greater than a 0-level. You can use that 0-level holding much like you could in 2nd ed as a base through which to poor RP in order to perform domain actions.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    Let me further my question at another level.

Does the above discussion conclude that a blooded character with a holding
    (0) could gain the extra hit points (10) owing to the fact that he is a regent?

If so, this benefit is extremely good for any player characters ... no cost to maintain the domain, no responsibility to rule, nothing to lose ... only a net gain of 10 extra hit points. It seems to me it is a kind of "reign without rule" or a kind of King Errant mentioned in the Book of Regency(p.94-5).

M.A.

In 2nd Ed, yes, hands down if you are blooded and have a province or holding of any kind or level, you get the extra HP

in the 3.5 revision, there's a bit more qualification necessary, breaks down like this if i remember correctly

1 - Unblooded character (Peons fresh off the farm, random guardsman, etc)
    Can theoretically establish and run a domain, but odds are slim as there's not much chance of coming up with the cash required. Can (and almost guaranteed will) be completely crushed out of hand by the first blooded character who they come up against.

2 - Blooded character with Minor bloodline, or Major/Greater bloodline but no levels in Scion character class (The majority of the regents in BR)
    Can establish and run a domain, but does not get bonus hit points. Note that Major/Greater bloodlines who don't have Scion class levels also miss out on most of the non-regency based benefits of their higher strength.

3 - Blooded character with Major/Greater/True bloodline and levels in Scion class (Major NPCs, all regent Awnies, any PC the GM allows to start with or earn)
    Can establish and run a domain, gets bonus HP and other benefits (see the Scion class table specific to the character's bloodline derivation)

Downloads
    Uploads
    manetherin got it right.

Something that also happened with the BRCS (make sure to get the sanctioned chapters 1 and 2) is the scaling of the bonus hit points.
    Bonus Hit Points: A scion receives bonus hit points each season based on the amount of RP he receives up to a maximum of one-half his blood score, rounded down – minimum of one.

The fact of the sudden +10 hit points with a 0 level holding had a lot to do with this mechanic. It also rewards those who maintain a high level of domain strenght and bloodline score.
    Duane Eggert

Thread Information