Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Realm Point Build System

This is a system that was used in a game I played in. I liked it and wanted to share it with others and perhaps tweak it a little to work better than it did.

Ok Here goes.
    ---

Each Player starts with 45 points to spend on their realm, this number is then modified by class, with some point distribution restrictions. Point total can be lower if the DM wants a lower level game.

Class Bonus
    * Noble or Aristocrat 10 points for Province, Law holdings or Contacts
    * Fighter or Warrior 10 points for Military/Naval units or Law
    * Cleric or Paladin 10 points for Temple or Law holdings
    * Wizard 10 points for Source holdings
    * Rogue or Guilder 10 points for Guild Holdings, Trade Routes or Contacts

* Province - Level 0 = 2 points.
    o +1 province level = 2 points, 1 for Noble/Aristocrat, 1.5 Fighter/Warrior
    * Holding - level 0 = 2 points.
    o Law Holding = 1 point, 0.5 Noble/Aristocrat
    o Guild holding = 2 points, 1 Rogue/Guilder
    o Source holding = 2 points, 1 Wizard
    o Temple holding = 2 points, 1 Cleric
    +1 point if the province or holding is not in contact (touching or in a province controlled by the player). These type of holding are considered Enclaves.

Remaining point's may spent as follows:

* 0.5 point = 4 GB worth of Military/Naval. Use purchase price as if mustering.
    * 2 points = Embassy or Spy Network in foreign Province.
    * 1 point = Fortify a Province or Holding
    * 1 point = 1 Lieutenant per point spent. Start 2 levels below PC.
    * 1 point = Raise one of your province's Loyalty to high. 0.5 points per additional province.
    * 0.5 point = One-way trade route between any two Guild Holdings.
    o Land Route Includes a Road. Sea Route does not include anything.
    * 1 point = Seaport in a province, additional seaports cost 0.5 points each.
    * 1 point = 5 GB Treasury
    * 1 point = +1 Class Level. Starting level = 3rd.
    * 1 point = Regency Points Equal to Domain Power. Only 1 point can be spent here.
    * 1 point = Ley line from one source holding to another, 0.5 cost per holding linked in the line
    "The Light Grows Dim, Darkness seeps in the cracks."

Downloads
    Uploads
    did every realm have the same number of provinces or were they all different?

i'm thinking of some examples from southern Anuire, with Medoere having 3, Ilien 1 and Roesone 7 (i think!)

The game was not set in the base setting, and from what I saw of the game it was actually random. I simplified it and made a standard point system that would allow for more equal realms, though it all really depends on what the points are spent on, since you could make a realm that had one province and a lot of Units (At least till you had to pay upkeep for them).

I had 2 characters in the game and each started with around 50 points. So I picked a starting point around that. I had thought of a few extra things that one could spend points on, but couldn't recall them off the top of my head this morning. I will see if I can find my notes and add them later though.

Downloads
    Uploads
    i understood that it wasn't in the base setting but with 45+ points and only a single province you could have it as a high level province and a power in its own right especially if you control all the holdings. whereas a player with 7 provinces would have lower provinces levels and less "power" to start with.

i think there is a system in the back of the 2nd edition set that might be worth looking at to.

Yes you could make one really powerful province. That is a real drawback to the system if you have to worry about players that are going to abuse the system, but if you have good players that should never be a real problem.

I will look into the system you mentioned, though I don't recall it. Will have to dig out my old books and look for it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Me too.

If i was creating a game "World" for this i'd make sure all the realms were different sizes. to much similarity between realms size would imbalance the game IMHO.

I agree completely. If ever realm is one province in size and is maxed to the teeth in everything, then the game is rather dull.

I find that most players do not have to same ideas of what they want their realm to be. Yes you might get a twink that just wants a realm that is 1 godly powerful province, but you may also get a realm that is 10 level 1 provinces.

People can be very unpredictable at times.

Here is the basic info on the realm I built using the system.

---

Organisation: Kingdom of Greece (Grc)
    Character name: Antaios Menoikeus, King (Nob6, An, major, 29)
    Character race: Human
    Character gender: Male
    Court Level: 4
    Liege: Constantine V Isaurian (Byz)
    Know Lieutenant's: General Balinark - War Council (hm F2, Br, Minor, 14)
    Family Members: Akantha (fH, Nbl-1, unblooded), wife
    Hirelings: 1 Cohort (Noble-4), 1 Champion (Fighter-2), 4 Followers (Noble-1), 2 Informants- (Experts-1), 1 Thug (Warrior-1), 1 Spy (Expert-1)
    Estates: 2 in ? (3/5th of a GB total)

A noble of a small (but well developed) kingdom, the character recently inherited the throne and all the responsibilities that go with it. Antaios knows the ways of the court, from growing up at his fathers side, and hopes to bring his own touch to the kingdom, with peace and prosperity for his people. He knows that war is an inevitability though and has kept his fathers trusted military adviser in office to assist him in that area, which he himself knows little.

Province Law Temple Guilds Source Ruler - Loyalty Race Terrain
    Achea (3/4) Grc(3) PoC(1) -- -- Grc (High/Helpful) Human Plains, Coastal
    Athens (5/3) Grc(5) PoC(1) -- -- Grc (Avg./Friendly) Human Highlands, Coastal
    Fish - Grc
    Morea (2/6) Grc(1) PoC(0) -- -- Grc (Avg./Friendly) Human Forest, Coastal
    Herd Animals- Cattle
    Trade Goods- Leather

Holdings in the Realm: Unclaimed
    Domain Attitude: Poor/Unfriendly
    Province Law Temple Guilds Source Ruler - Loyalty Race Terrain
    Thebes (0/6) -- -- -- -- ?? - Occupied by Grc Human Hills, Coastal

Grc : Antaios Menoikeus (PC)
    IMO : Galenus Tatronus (NPC)
    PoC : Anastasius (NPC)

Known and Developed Resources:

* Fish in Athens
    o Grc
    o 5 GB to develop
    o +1 GB income
    o protection vs. Famine
    * Herd Animals- Cattle in Morea
    o Anyone can develop
    o 5 GB to develop
    o +1 GB income
    * Trade Goods- Leather in Morea
    o Any Guild may develop
    o 5 GB to develop
    o +1 GB income

Downloads
    Uploads
    the original point buy system is on page 95 (i think) of the rule book.

I'm at work right now so I can not look into that, but I have the box set at home somewhere, if I can not find it I have a copy on disk for ease of use as well.

Thread Information