Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Logically you could have dozens of cultures all over cerillia ... when the anuireans conquered a big part of it, they certainly sent some colonists which influenced the life-style of the local residents... On djafar you could have a realm influenced by the masetians from the early beginning wich ended in a - Ancient greece or Athenian - Kind of people... Depending on your view about the masetians... Something simillar could have happened in aduria wich could have modified the modus vivendi of the new "oriental" peoples...

Downloads
    Uploads
    On Wed, 4 Dec 2002, Athos69 wrote:

> The Orientals are ruled by a single God-King and a ruling caste of Yuan-ti.
    > The God King was granted a good portion of Azrai`s essence

Regardless of whether one thinks OA cultures and classes are nifty (I was
    fond of the 1e version, but haven`t seen the 3e one; and I never liked
    monks much at all), I definitely think that somewhere on Aebrynis there
    has to be a society of evil snake-people worshipping Azrai (whose totem
    animal is the snake). The Serpent is a good start, but I really do like
    groups of Yuan-ti as intelligent monster villains.

Ryan Caveney

************************************************** **************************
    The Birthright Homepage: http://www.birthright.net
    Birthright-l Archives: http://oracle.wizards.com/archives/birthright-l.html
    To unsubscribe, send email to LISTSERV@ORACLE.WIZARDS.COM
    with UNSUB BIRTHRIGHT-L in the body of the message.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think that looking at the world map of Aebrynis that a Japanese or Chinese flavored campaign is absolutely possible!

Who better than the Feudal Japanese to have a "Living God" as their Emperor and to have various other lords ruling fiefs for him; but warring constantly against each other.

As for explaining the bloodlines of these various royalty and nobility; you could easily have had many present at Deismaar...magic does wonderful things and a band of adventurers could have easily been present at the battle that were from the "Oriental" area. Their bloodlines might not be quite as powerful as even a True bloodline...but even this could have happened if some scion of a noble house of Anuire sporting Haelyn's True Bloodline had at some point gone adventuring, to find himself on the end of the blade of a mighty proto-samurai warrior in some far land.

I myself have a very detailed plan for how I was going to make an Asian styled campaign centered on a Japanese type culture. However, I wasn't going to rely on the typical bloodlines...I had made up my own Pantheon, decided that the Emperor WAS a direct descendant of the Emperor of the Pantheon and was the divine ruler of the "earth" as his greatest grandfather was the Emperor of Heaven. The various noble houses were going to be related to the Emperor's house, or other gods of the Pantheon by direct blood descent as well...and even some that were NOT noble (such as peasants who were also Ninja) would have bloodlines as well.

Non-Human races would have been available as well, on a limited basis, because the Spirits (Si, Dwarves, etc.) would be available in such a setting.

I think Fuedal Japanese culture made an excellent source for this...but I never got around to it.

Ehrshegh of Spelling Thelandrin's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Caelcormac, this thread is nearly six years old! Your opinion is valued, but perhaps a newer thread might have been more useful

Ius Hibernicum, in nomine juris. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Actually, it's more than 7 years old, but it's ok, time passes differently in elven realms.
    Never too late for good ideas.
    Rey M. - court wizard of Tuarhievel

Downloads
    Uploads
    Aye, the age of a thing doesn't matter if everyone is now back to seeing it.

I'm an avid reader of all things...so going back in history is one of my favorite things to do.

Also, I didn't want to start yet another thread when this one would suffice.

So, on the topic:

Ninshon looks like it would be a very good place to have an Asian Styled game. The mountains in the center of the Australian Sized continent would make for a great place for the Dwarves (as Korabukuru, sp?) to hail from...or even for the Emperor to make his central holdings. The Si (sorry I like to use the Irish word for Fey) would easily find holdings within the same highland woodlands perhaps, and other races of a faerie nature, considered spirits, could live scattered about the islands. The lowland/coastal provinces would be dominated by various warlords each vying for control of the Emperors Coart as "Shogun" but none of them realizing that perhaps the Emperor simply allows them their excesses, but could crack down at will because of his immense power/bloodline.

I pictured that the Samurai could have evolved as the dominant warrior caste, but to be a member of this elite society you had to at least be "of divine heritage" and so we find many duels of honor between samurai who seek the death of their foes to increase their power. So Samurai would all be at least Tainted in blood strength. This might make for thousands of scions on the land; but since mostly they would only be tainted in strength (with few having strength above 5), only the mightiest scions would belong to the true noble houses and hold domains. The Samurai of Ninshon would be akin to the earliest Champion Warriors of Japan that fought primarily as individuals on the battle-field in the quest for glory and honor.

Meanwhile, the common man would indeed live in fear of the samurai because of their divine heritage and even actively worship the Emperor as the manifest will of the Celestial Emperor on earth.

Technologically, the people of Ninshon might be very advanced in certain areas; but lacking in others as it is "Against the Will of the Emperor" to leave the island nation. Their sword making, for instance, might be well in advance of the rest of the world because of their need to ensure an ability to properly harvest the power of a defeated foe...thus is born the Katana.

Because of strong ties to the Spirits, Ninshon would be a place where the land was greatly respected as well...and many Wu Jen would find instruction at the hands of the Spirit People who would guide them in magic that was less harmful to the lands.

The "underworld" would be dominated perhaps by less savory non-noble individuals still infused with bloodlines stolen by means of assassination. While not just Ninja, the criminal elements of Ninshon would be quite powerful as the various warlords often found that they were in need of funding to be gained in loans from these people, or perhaps even the warlords would exert power over the criminal elements through their own criminal agents. I don't picture trade being as pronounced in Ninshon because sea-going vessels (junks) would be used primarily for warfare...and there is a obvious lack of wagons, carts and the like because of the very mountainous/hilly terrain of the land.

Temple holdings would be very common here. Monks would indeed have a place in Ninshon, and might hold many of the Temple holdings as well. The often violent clashes between temples in feudal Japan would hold true here as well, often pitting them in wars against each other where Ronin were enlisted as mercenaries; or even whole Noble Families brought into conflict because of the will of some powerful Monk...who might be the uncle of the current Daimyo of the said clan. Monks were very often of nobility, choosing to join a Monastery to gain power if they were a second or third son.

Over all of this would of course be an Emperor who was considered both the military master and spiritual master of Ninshon...but in practice might be controlled by the most powerful factions and his holdings in truth quite limited despite his powerful True Bloodline...with Emperors often being "retired" when they reached the age of maturity (when their bloodline would begin to manifest) to be replaced by their most likely infant offspring as the new Emperor. Such retirees often found that they were now Monks, who had to forswear temporal power because of the religion they found they were no part of...but such men often became the master of their order because they had such a powerful bloodline.

The interlacing between how bloodlines work and the workings of a Japanese type nation can go on and on...

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Just a reminder that Ninshon isn't a part of what TSR/WOTC developed. It is a fan made cont(in)ent, but nevertheless usable and certainly recommended (since it was made by a member of BR community after all).

Well, instead of just pushing them all under the same Mt. Deismaar to have a little bloodline here, a little bloodline there, why not create a mirrored version (I'm repeating myself, I know) on the other side of Aebrynis to put together all the others. And develop a whole world in the end. At least with a general idea.

And yes, I'm in favor for other continent than Aduria for oriental adventures.
    Rey M. - court wizard of Tuarhievel

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've never dug into the archives much, so I don't mind frankenstein threads.

I toyed with a continent of the utter west, eqyptian and japanese natives who were partly conquered by the Anuirean Empire, and then 'liberated' by orog Janissaries who settled in as overlords.

Aduria was the home of the ancient tribes, so fitting in orientals might be tough, unless Azrai had another corrupted people beyond the Vos and beast-men.

I posted an outline of my thoughts in Sept 07 under the thread Other continents? :
    http://www.birthright.net/forums/oth...t=torele+roele

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have just uploaded the missing Aduria map to the wiki.

http://www.birthright.net/brwiki/ind...age:Aduria.JPG

Don't forget that someone has proposed a Dragon-based culture for the Dragon Isles that is very oriental.

http://www.birthright.net/brwiki/index.php/Dragon_Isles

Thread Information