Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Since not all magic-users are allowed to use realm magic and only those that are true wizards are allowed to wield it, what do people think about multiclass wizards being allowed to use realm magic?
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the
    United Provinces of Cerilia
    "May Haelyn bring justice to your realm"

Birthright Developer Raesene Andu's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I see no reason why not. However, 3E games do have a problem in that multi-classing is now a lot easier. Every regent will want to become a multi-class fighter/rogue/wizard to take advantage of the benefits each class can give.

My solution so far has been to only allow multi-classing to wizard if the regent is willing to spend a couple of years at the college of sorcery learning the ways of magic. However, you can multi-class to a sorcerer, but I have restricted the number of realm/battle spells a sorcerer can learn, so this is not as good.

Also I'm using a rule where a regent only gains full RP from his favoured class (class he has most levels in) and every other class only gets 1/2 RP benefits.
    Let me claim your Birthright!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think the ease of becoming multiclass and the overwhelming advantage of it is exactly my problem with allowing them to cast realm magic. I guess if I made some of the restrictions you do that would help.

Anyone else have any thoughts?
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the

Downloads
    Uploads
    So far in the campaign I run only one player has any multi classed characters.... my Fighter/Priest lord, and his Half-Elf brother a Fighter/Mage...

No one else has multi classed, and I've only seen one relm spell even used so far.

Special Guest (Donor) morgramen's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I use this rule, which is directly copied from my PbeM. So far, it seems to have cut down on multiclass characters (I don't have a single one yet out of 30 something players.)

In order to determine how many "unspent" RPs you may carry over to the next turn (or otherwise bank), you divide your bloodline strength by the number of classes you hold (rounding up). Thus, a Fighter/Thief/Mage ( levels 6/4/3) with a bloodline of 32, is able to bank only 11 RPs each turn. Any additional RPs are lost if not spent. This bank may grow to be any size the player wishes, but he can never actually add more than 11 RPs each turn. It is more beneficial to be a single classes character in terms of RP wealth!
    "You need people of intelligence on this mission... quest... thing."

Special Guest (Donor) morgramen's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Oops... hehehe... pressed OK before finsihing my post. :)

In relation to multiclass and realm spells, I would allow it. Since a multiclass regent also needs to hold mulitple holding types, he's got a lot tougher time trying to maintain his domain and keep his holdings intact.

Since he will need a source holding to cast his spells, he has to compete with the single class wizzies. Since he might also be a thief, he's got to compete with the other guilders for market shares. Same with law holdings and temples.

The key here is for hte DM to be certain that his NPCs aren't stagnant, and to keep his multi class player busy busy busy with defending his mega corporation of cross class holdings intact.

A multiclass regent who trys to hold multiple holding types is spreading himself thin...
    "You need people of intelligence on this mission... quest... thing."

Downloads
    Uploads
    In regards to collecting RP the characters first class they chose is what they will recieve full RP's in, and only half RP's in whatever other class they have multiclassed into.
    As far as multiclassing into a wizard and casting realm spells, as see no problem in it after all a wizard is a wizard. I just wish I would have thought about making the person in my group attend the college of sorcery before I let him multiclass into a wizard.
    As far as maintaining multiple holdings, the bigger you are the more of a target you become for competition.
    Cattle die and kinsmen die,
    thyself too soon must die,
    but one thing never, I ween, will die, --
    fair fame of one who has earned.
    HAVAMAL

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like a lot of these ideas because they all agree that something has to be done to cut down on the number of multiclass characters. I really like the idea of the larger and more successful you are the more people are gunning for you and challenging you.

The one statement I disagree with is the statement after all a wizard is a wizard. There is a difference between a true wizard and other magic users according to the rules. Only true wizards can cast realm spells.
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the

Downloads
    Uploads
    I should explain what I mean when I say wizard.
    I call all true wizards wizards, and all other mages, it keeps me from getting confused. As for as multiclassing into a wizard, if your blooded or an elf why multi into a mage when a wizard is more powerful, but they should go to an appropriate school or teacher.
    Cattle die and kinsmen die,
    thyself too soon must die,
    but one thing never, I ween, will die, --
    fair fame of one who has earned.
    HAVAMAL

Downloads
    Uploads
    I understand now. It does tend to get confusing. I would have to agree that multiclassing into a mage and not a wizard doesn't make sense from a why would you want to do that standpoint but on the other hand it should be harder to become a wizard expecially a multiclass one.
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the

Thread Information