Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I fully support the idea of separating the priesthood, in the nature of Wizards and Magicians.
    Explain how this is a signature, its not my handwriting.

The hardest part was teaching the bunnies to hug. -Duke Phillips

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you look at the descriptions of Battle-specific spells, they have many annoying requirements that are meant to justify the low level they are at.

Material components can cost around 1-2 GBs, you often need assistants to spread material components through the unit for beneficial spells, and they all have incredibly long casting times (measured in Battle Rounds or something). I don't believe that they should be uncastable outside of battle, I just believe that they are unwieldy outside of battle.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Orginally posted by Arch-Sorcerer Gargamel

If you look at the descriptions of Battle-specific spells, they have many annoying requirements that are meant to justify the low level they are at.

Material components can cost around 1-2 GBs, you often need assistants to spread material components through the unit for beneficial spells, and they all have incredibly long casting times (measured in Battle Rounds or something). I don't believe that they should be uncastable outside of battle, I just believe that they are unwieldy outside of battle.
    If, however, one were to cast Battle Magic outside of battle, does it not then cease to be battle magic?
    This is an adventure dammit! I expect to be rewarded for acts of homicide!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Okay, I believe it is called Battle magic because that is the best time to use it.

Birthright Developer
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I am of the school that battle magic should removed. With some creative use of regular spells, a wizard can already be incredibly useful on the battle field as is.

Battle magic also infringes upon realm magic - some realm magic spells become nigh useless with battle magic around. I always felt realm magic added flavor, whereas battle magic falls more into the 2e category of filler, or, more specifically, "filler we put in this book so you can pump up your character and make him more powerful and really make you want to buy this book."

I don't have any issue with the balance between clerics and wizards. Sure, a wizard can take stuff apart faster than clerics can fix it, but that's just a general rule - it's easier to break something than make something. I think it's called entropy, and has to do with the second rule of thermodynamics. Or something. I could go on about this, actually. How clerics are the most powerful class in the system as is - they get a lot of spells. They get a lot of USEFUL spells in their domains. They get good hit points, good saving throws, good fighting ability. Wizards get none of that. A wizard without spells is like a fish on land. A cleric without spells is still a decent combatant. While I might think knocking clerics down a peg or two in general might be a good idea, that's just me. I think they're fairly well balanced. They both become relatively more powerful than the other classes in Birthright. If anything, it's fighters and rogues that need a little extra. Which, incidentally, they get.

So it's all good.
    Jan E. Juvstad.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Most battle spells that are similar to realm spells have a far lesser duration and power. That's like saying that charm person infringes upon mass charm because they both charm people.

While it may be true that higher level wizards can already be quite effective on the battle field, most wizards don't make it that far. Thus battle magic is a way of involving all wizards in combat that doesn't give them too much power for the cost. Also, not all wizards want to waste high-level spell slots on attack spells, many wizards prefer to use indirect spells, none of which can affect an entire unit (unless they move around in tight 40' diameter balls, or 10x10 cubes).

Also, there aren't very many wizards that exist, thus most combat is done without magical support anyway.

As for battle-magic being cast outside of battle, why do you need to cast these kinds of spells outside of battle? If you cast them, you are usually in some sort of battle, where taking the long time to cast them has been determined to be neccesary to acquire the effect that you want. I guess you could put on some good pyrotechnics outside of battle for a big celebration, if you wanted.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Orginally posted by Lord Eldred
    Would they then wield more powerful magic?
    Yes, that would be the idea. Much like the comparision of magicians and true Wizards. Both have access to magic one just gains greater power.
    Servant of the Most High,
    Lawgiver

Isaiah 1:17
    Learn to do good; Seek justice, Rebuke the oppressor; Defend the fatherless, Plead for the widow.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Once again I have to lend my support to Mark's arguments!

As for the argument that they don't stand in tight 40' diameter circles, I would have to disagree. Battlefield fighting is very close quarters. A fireball would wipe out a significant part of a unit and thus justify a hit, the ensuing chaos from people jumping away from the blast would add damage and the few that survive but are lit on fire spread fire. Not to mention smoke inhalation damage to people who are in the area. I would compare it to a catapult slinging flaming death but instead it came from a wizard.
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the
    United Provinces of Cerilia
    "May Haelyn bring justice to your realm"

Birthright Developer
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok, for a lengthier treatise upon this, see the other thread.

Most battle spells that are similar to realm spells have a far lesser duration and power. That's like saying that charm person infringes upon mass charm because they both charm people.

No, it isn't. The effects of the one is significantly stronger, and you don't get it until you are much, much higher in level. In this case, the cost in terms of time and resources for casting a subversion or mass destruction is far higher than for casting a battle spell that accomplishes a similar purpose, and the net effect may end up the same.

While it may be true that higher level wizards can already be quite effective on the battle field, most wizards don't make it that far. Thus battle magic is a way of involving all wizards in combat that doesn't give them too much power for the cost.

So the argument here is, just because someone is not of a high enough level to cast a given spell, we'll simply give him a lower level version of that spell? Since a 1st-level spellcaster can't teleport, we'll make teleport a first-level spell?

Also, not all wizards want to waste high-level spell slots on attack spells, many wizards prefer to use indirect spells, none of which can affect an entire unit (unless they move around in tight 40' diameter balls, or 10x10 cubes).

It's called "prioritizing," not "wasting." If you want to cast a spell, you'll have to choose it over another. You don't get it essentially for free just because you don't want to face a tough choice. There are many indirect spells that can be hideously effective. Not every spell can be useful in every situation. If you happened to have prepared a cone of cold when what you really need is a teleport, or vice versa, then, well, tough luck. And military units do move in formation, you know. Often pretty tight formations.

Also, there aren't very many wizards that exist, thus most combat is done without magical support anyway.

So then, why all this hassle about wanting special rules for those very few wizards?

As for battle-magic being cast outside of battle, why do you need to cast these kinds of spells outside of battle? If you cast them, you are usually in some sort of battle, where taking the long time to cast them has been determined to be neccesary to acquire the effect that you want. I guess you could put on some good pyrotechnics outside of battle for a big celebration, if you wanted.

Ummm. Because you can? I mean, isn't that why wizards use spells in the first place? They use the best available tools for the job. It's a pity they don't always have the right tools, though. But a clever wizard makes do with what he has. Now. If you assume the existence of battle magic and such - it should be part of any wizard's dungeon crawl repertoire. How about a battle spell version of summon monster? It's in the book. Lots of cheap cannon fodder to keep the enemy busy, and no experience penalty (summoned monsters don't have any effect on that, very clearly stated). You could cast this prior to a given encounter, and use it to clean house pretty fast. Why not a battle spell version of burning hands? Oh wait. That's called a fireball. There are many ways the battle magic system can be broken by "creative" players, despite the attempts to prevent this in the BoM.

Want battle magic? Take a look at the War Magic cards - cards #94-100 in the Birthright box. These show how to adjudicate the effects of ordinary spells on a battlefield. There are a lot of spells there that causes significant battlefield effects. Your DM is quite unreasonable if he does not apply those effects. Adding another category of magic is just redundant cheese; especially so in a 3e environment.
    Jan E. Juvstad.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I happen to believe your posts ARE redundant cheese. You don't like battle magic so you won't be producing it in the 3e version. Fine, I will still use it in my own campaign, and that can't be stopped.
    Cattle die and kinsmen die,
    thyself too soon must die,
    but one thing never, I ween, will die, --
    fair fame of one who has earned.
    HAVAMAL

Thread Information