Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    There are many different interpretations of elves out there. I'd like to hear some of them.

Here is my version:
    1. Elves are Fey, not Humanoid.
    2. As fey, they have a special connection to nature/mebhaighl and are able to use true magic.
    2a. They still have to be blooded to use battle/realm magic.
    2b. Their fey nature makes them especially well suited to druidic magic, although they are not limited to it.
    3. As fey, they are unable to worship gods/the gods are unable to be worshiped by them.
    3a. They didn't worship Azrai, but were seduced by his words.
    4. When they die, they just return to the elements.
    4a. No afterlife. No ressurection or raise dead either.
    Cheers
    Bjørn
    DM of Ruins of Empire II PbeM

Downloads
    Uploads
    Please forgive my ignorance but define "fey"
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the
    United Provinces of Cerilia
    "May Haelyn bring justice to your realm"

Downloads
    Uploads
    3E puts all creatures into categories. Humans, orcs, goblins, dwarves etc. are humanoids. Elves are fey (not really, just IMO). The various categories have some basic abilities.

What are fey? Creatures closely connected to nature and who have magical powers.
    Cheers
    Bjørn

I the Shadow World sourcebook, doesn't it talk something about elves and what they are in the Shadowworld?

I'll have to download it again...
    The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of God stands forever.
    (Isaiah 40:8)

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would have to say they are not fey......fey are immortal,and really only exist on the Prime through portals and conduits to the Realm of Faeirie.If you were to truly make them fey,you would have to raise their ECL as a race.

Now if you get into mythology,there are actually only two types of fey,Seelie and Unseelie.But that is basically a factor of alignment,Unseelie tend to be evil.Overall the Fey are only one race.But in all mythology,Seelies tend to pattern themselves after humanity,albeit always in a warped sense.Fey have no feelings,no emotions.And they usually don't live on this plane.

I don't see elves to be like true Fey.
    "Victory has a thousand fathers,defeat is an orphan."

Downloads
    Uploads
    There are Norse gods of the fey. They are twins Frey and Freya. I am sure you have heard of them.
    Abbess Allessandra
    from the United Provinces of Haelyn
    "On your knees...to pray!"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Myself,I was going for the Celtic fey.

But wasn't Frey and Freya the Norse gods of fertlity for men and women respectiviley?????But the Norse did have elves,the alfar(there is one of those Norse double umlaut thingies somewhere in that I beleive).

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Sidhelien ARE immortal.

3E definition: A fey is a creature with supernatural abilities and connection to nature or to some other force or place. Fey are usually human-shaped. Unless noted otherwise, fey have low-loght vision.

Realm of the Faerie??? Sounds very "Manual of the Planes" to me. Neither does portals have a prominent place in Cerilia.
    Cheers
    Bjørn

Downloads
    Uploads
    But Fey also tend to have some pretty heavy resistances,and few drawbacks,one of which is cold-iron,and considering most people have no idea what cold-iron is,let alone how to use it,it really isn't a drawback.

Just because elves are "immortal" with low light vision is not enough to make them fey.Elves have too many emotions to be such.

Going by your definition,Rjurik can be said to be fey,for they have a deep connection to nature as well.

A lot of what I am going by is actual "real-world" mythology,which D&D isn't.However that doesn't mean that it sounds right to me...

Downloads
    Uploads
    :P

OK, I'm into DnD here. You are into "real-world" mythology. We're not even speaking the same language.

What I'm trying to do is make a distinction about between the sidhelien and the more mundane humanoids. To me, the 3E description "fey", works quite nice. The sidhelien are no less fey, than say, 3E dryads. I'm not at all suggesting that the sidhelien are very much like your celtic fey.

Your "argument" about the Rjurik was pretty lame ;)
    Cheers
    Bjørn

Thread Information