Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Outside of conventions our group mainly plays 3.5e D&D. We have a long running BR game, a 3.5e game in a homebrew world, and I DM short Eberron one-shots when the whole crew cant make it to play one of our regular campaigns.

In the past ive played; Shadowrun, Cyberspace, Dogs in the Vineyard, Paranoia, StarWars D6, Traveller, etc.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Other games I play? Where to start? In RPGs, I`ve picked up the
    Serenity RPG, and plan to run that in the next calendar year. I play `normal` D&D,
    as I seem to be the only one who runs BR, as well as Living Death. In the
    past, I`ve run and enjoyed Twilight:2000 a lot; and I belong to a group that
    dabbles in GURPS.
    I consider myself more of a board-wargamer than an RPG`er. World War II
    holds my interest the most, a series I can`t get tired of is Europa, a
    monster-sized operational level game; and its Glory and Great War cousins. Star
    Fleet Battles and its brothers, Federation Commander and Federation & Empire are
    also my constant companions. I have a lot more wargames in boxes and bags
    around, but those have been my consistent favorites.

Lee.

Downloads
    Uploads

Other RPG's

There's a Serenity RPG? I've just recently become addicted to that series! Refreshingly original (I presume we're talking about Firefly and the Serenity movie).

Has anyone else played Eden Studios games Witchcraft or Armageddon? I prefer those settings to White Wolf's World of Darkness. They're even more clever at working in actual mythologies, and they're not so overwhelmingly oppressive and focused on evil. Inquisition can be fun.

As a side note, Eden Studios kinda ripped off a lot of Birthright ideas to put into their Fields of Blood d20 domain game and warfare book. They did have some interesting new ideas, though, including military unit maneuvers and governing styles.

Also, Fantasy Flight Games has several settings that I haven't yet played, but look awesome: Midnight, Fireborn, Grimm, and Spellslinger.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan
    There's a Serenity RPG? I've just recently become addicted to that series! Refreshingly original (I presume we're talking about Firefly and the Serenity movie)...<snip>...
    Yep and Yep.
    I've had a quick look through the rulebook and it does seem to capture the feel of the series. However, it does also have the feel of being pushed through the editing process to soon (check out the back cover to see what I mean), I've not had the chance to play it yet. I guess it may have been rushed given that the series was axed after only one season. For those not familiar with the series, its a western Blake's 7 stretching an MA rating - great characterisation, great background plot, great stories... but unfortunately not to the tastes of those who do the funding

Just while I have the floor (and before I digress further off topic), Other games I play... almost any system put in front of me if its at a convention - and I do try to dabble in as much new stuff as I can. For wargames I prefer the simpler stuff - Dawn patrol and Mordheim, for RPG it will often depend on the crowd I'm gaming with - Vampire and Hunter I like and for D&D 2ed over 3.0 and 3.5. At the moment due to my irritation with the 'broken' bits of the systems I play (that usually need at least several house rules to either clarify of fix any base rule set), I have started to write up my own for the next campaign I run. Odds of finishing it - fairly low.
    Last edited by Doyle; 12-12-2006 at 10:57 AM.
    Doyle

Downloads
    Uploads
    In a message dated 12/8/06 1:02:20 AM Eastern Standard Time,
    brnetboard@BIRTHRIGHT.NET writes:

<< There`s a Serenity RPG? I`ve just recently become addicted to that
    series! Refreshingly original (I presume we`re talking about Firefly and the
    Serenity movie). >>

Right. Margaret Weis Productions. So far, it`s only the rulebook, GM
    screen, and one module (riddled with typos, but a fantastic town setting). The
    game seems neat (haven`t run it yet). There probably won`t be any more
    product, due to licensing issues, but check out the website/forum "Waves in the
    black" for a community as supportive as this one.

Lee.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hordes of minis...

This is a slight digression, but, considering the wargames and other RPG's, has anyone found a good place for cheap miniatures?

I don't paint minis, nor collect them, but they're nicer than counters or dice on a battle map. I've done some looking in wargame miniatures and elsewhere and haven't yet quite found what I'm looking for.

What I'd really like to find are cheap plastic minis. You know, like the plastic army guys we had when we were kids. Why doesn't someone make packs of orcs, goblins, human troops, etc like that? I'd love to be able to put up a little horde of zombies, skeletons, goblins, orcs, soldiers, or what have you.

Any ideas?

other games

Well let's see I play in the old 2ed games, I'm a long time forgotten realms DM who has just started DMing a birthright game. I also GM an old D6 Star Wars game modified to account for the new movies. In addition I have an extincive Rifts collection although I've never had the time to get a true game going.

Downloads
    Uploads

minis

Quote Originally Posted by Rowan
    This is a slight digression, but, considering the wargames and other RPG's, has anyone found a good place for cheap miniatures?
    ...<snip>...What I'd really like to find are cheap plastic minis. You know, like the plastic army guys we had when we were kids. Why doesn't someone make packs of orcs, goblins, human troops, etc like that? I'd love to be able to put up a little horde of zombies, skeletons, goblins, orcs, soldiers, or what have you.
    Any ideas?
    For cheap metal mini's I use Euraka Miniatures and they probably do ship outside Australia.
    Bulk plastic ones - usually box sets, especially the ones to go with a new wargaming system that didn't take off or are old and replaced. Sometimes the price drop makes it worth buying the starting set just to get the mini's. 2nd hand copies of Warhammer quest for example.
    Another option at the moment would be the collectable stuff from Wizards. Like most collectable series there are a pile of 'commons' that collecters wind up with that they never wanted (like those that buy 20+ boxes to get a particular 'rare' and wind up with 30 scorpion clan dark elves - I've never purchased a box and yet have 40+ of the things from RPGA events I've attended). If you don't have acces to the collectors, try the hobby stores that sell the boxes, because just like with the 'magic the blathering' sorta thing, there should be piles of 'commons' going cheap.

HTH,
    Doyle
    Doyle

Downloads
    Uploads

Other games

I enjoy the old Greyhawk setting in AD&D tremendously. I also play Element Masters and Star Wars. But, my biggest favorite of all time that is very close to Birthright is Star Frontiers. I have of course modified it tremendously, but it is the groups favorite remembered campaign.

Audric

I personally prefer Cyberpunk (but since I have mixed it w/ Call of Cthulhu quite liberally, I guess it's actually Cthulhupunk, but much more than monster hunting)

I GM Birthright because D&D is the only system that seems to survive the long haul. I keep away from kingdom and realm work as I have yet to see PC that actually function well at this point (and yes, I've been GM/DMing since the early eighties and this is STILL true).

I also Love It Came From the Late Late Show and Paranoia, but alas that tells of my age....

'Nuff said

Public

Thread Information