Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Birthright and other games.

The reason for why we all read and post in this forum is rather obvious: we enjoy the Birthright setting. This also means that we play roleplaying games. As a matter of curiosity, I would very much like to hear what other games you play.

I'm a sucker for the statesman-adventurer theme of the BRCS, and the mythical, low-magic aspects are part of the selling point. The mix of intrigue, personal heroism, lingering fear of things dark and evil, and the elements of straregy are what appeals to me. I tend to go for some or all of these elements in my other games as well.

I would have to divide my list in two, one for the games I GM, and one for those I play.

As a Game Master:
    I really like historical settings, sometimes with a touch of magic or the occult, thus White Wolf's Storytelling system will rank highest on the list.

Continuing on the same line, Mage: the Ascencion (especially Technocracy), and Vampire: the Dark Ages tends to return again and again.

What's cooler than starships and lightsabres? Star Wars is a long time favourite, and even if the canon opens up a lot of storylines, the expanded universe is the real carrot. You can play almost any scenario and genre in a single campaign.

Sometimes you just need machineguns and high-speed pursuits. Although the setting is more than a little dated, with a little bit of work, Cyberpunk can really spice up the day! Of course, the Storyteling system can give you this, but imo it's a weak combat system.

Call of Cthulhu would be the favourite for horror and the macabre. I've recently started a Carnivale-inspired game running on the d20 sytem... So far, it looks like it'll work fine.

There are a few older games I must mention, even if I haven't played them in a long while. The Vietnam War game 'Nam and the expansion RECON has served for a briliant ear and a half of good gaming. Another golden oldie is Twilight 2000, it's dated but nukes of fun. I'll add a final game, The Aliens roleplaying game, and even if I haven't managed to get more than a few scenarios out of it, these were worth remembering.

As a player:
    Vampire; the Victorian Age would be my current favourite. A friend of mine runs a game, and she's a brilliant Storyteller.

Star Wars is probably the game I've played the most, and it's bombad fun!

I'm mostly GM'ing, and it's been a while, but Ars Magica really let you play the powerful magician.
    Last edited by The Swordgaunt; 12-01-2006 at 03:32 PM.
    -Harald

Today, we were kidnapped by hill folk never to be seen again. It was the best day ever.

Blog

Other games I currently enjoy: three different home-brew setting 3rd/3.5 edition D&D games, BESM, and Mutants and Masterminds. RPGs of the past include D&D, AD&D, 2nd ed AD&D, Top Secret, Villains and Vigilantes, Champions, Mage, Werewolf, Changeling, Rolemaster, MERP, and GURPS. I also seek out Four Colors al Fresco at GenCon every year.

Boardgame- and Card Game-wise, Munchkin, Candamir, Settlers of Catan, Starfarers of Catan, Carcassone, Puerto Rico, Cranium, Trivial Pursuit, Mah Jongg, Canasta, and various styles of solitaire are my faves.

I also play City of Heroes/City of Villains, and Guild Wars online, and have played in the past World of Warcraft, Everquest and EQII, and Dark Age of Camelot.

Downloads
    Uploads
    currently only playing World of warcraft since my friends which i played DnD with are so as well. so we still have our 2-3 times a week come togethers.. only the game changed :P
    Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm an old school player.

So, Champions, D6 Star Wars, the D20 version just doesn't do it for me. Call of Cthulu is allot of fun, but no one else is willing to GM, Cyberpunk is also a great game. I also love Rifts.

Those are all the games I've played in the last couple years, but if you name a game there is a decent chance I've played it at least once.
    When you play the game of thrones you win or you die.
    George R. R. Martin - A song of Ice and Fire

Downloads
    Uploads
    I`m very interested in ways people have found of manipulating conventional
    roleplaying traditions, so the indie RPG market really appeals to me. And
    just about anything from Mongoose Publishing - even if it doesn`t "work"
    very well, sometimes the experiments are good for their own sake.

My current fascinations are with Green Ronin`s Mutants & Masterminds, Lumpy
    Games` Dogs in the Vineyard, and Luke Crane`s Burning Wheel.

I`m facinated with the video games Alpha Centauri, Master of Orion III, and
    X-com Apocalypse because of their "domain level" components.

Downloads
    Uploads
    One of the settings I don`t care a great deal for is
    the Kingdom`s of Kalamar...decent setting; I just
    never latched onto it...BUT

The Atlas that was published for it was FANTASTIC.

If someone could put a book out like that for
    Birthright I would simply probably NEVER play another
    campaign world again...for a while...at least a
    year...maybe less... =)

Anthony Edwards

__________________________________________________ __________________________________
    Want to start your own business?
    Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business.
    http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/r-index

Mostly we play our 'homebrew' Birthright game, it's been running for over 2 years now too. On the side I run an Eberron game and we occasionally side-track into 'Strike Force Zero', 'Wasteworld' and some assortment of White-Wolf games.

Mostly Birthright though, we're even going to set up a secondary campaign with non-blooded in the same world as our scions.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Can't say that I actually find time to play it very much, but GDW's 2300AD is a long-time favourite of mine. Fairly hard-science sci-fi setting. A more modern sci-fi setting which I enjoy is Transhuman Space. Transhuman is GURPS-based whild 2300 AD has its own system; I like neither system very well, byt the settings are great.

For fantasy I enjoy the odd game of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay. The new edition is aqutally quite good; keeping the good features of the old system and fixing what was badly broken.

Fun to play a non-D20 games.
    Cheers
    Bjørn
    DM of Ruins of Empire II PbeM

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would say the big three I play, run and or love are fading suns, birthright (Heavily modified), mage the ascension and Artesia.

Honourable mentions should be given to Burning empires, metabarons, game of thrones, deryni, fvilminata and probably a hundred other things I dont remember just now.
    MORNINGSTAR

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    On my group we play Birthright (renamed to Statecraft, and very modified),
    Alternity and DnD 3e (Forgotten Realms).

All three of them have great memories and moments in their respective
    campaigns

Regards!

Vicente

Thread Information