Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ascension

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by falamar
    My question is to the developers is wiether or not their bloodlines will change how they ascend. If I can't get an answer other than "Don't let them ascend" I will cont. on my own accord.

Then the answer is no their bloodlines do not change. They also cannot ascend - not per the BRCS rules.

I gave examples of where you can find information that might help you develop something for your game, but for the BRCS a scion cannot ascend.

A character likewise cannot raise his bloodline to True.

In order to have a True bloodline a scion must have been at Deismaar, in close proximity to the gods and be philosophically closest.

From Chap 2 (sanctioned) of the BRCS:
    True bloodlines are unique. Only the greatest heroes of Deismaar, those who were both physically and philosophically closest to the expiring gods, were granted True bloodlines. Only these surviving heroes or their direct heirs through bloodline investiture have True bloodlines. There are believed to be less than a dozen true bloodlines in existence.
    All known True bloodlines are currently possessed by powerful awnshegh or ehrshegh. These individuals are near demigods and are rumored to be able to grant a divine connection that allows their followers access to divine magic. Some True scions are rumored to have other divine abilities beyond the ken of most mortals

I believe you making many false assumptions, as has been pointed out.

When the current gods ascended (ones at Mt Desimar) I have always asumed that the reason they ascended to the Lvl of Greater gods was because of the release of all the old gods blood. And the one that ascended after that went straight to lesser gods was acounted for because they wear blodded people. Any way they skipped Demi god status. If this is so them how would my people ascended? One comes from a True Bloodline and all the others have maxed their blood long ago. When they ascended will they skip Demi-god status? And if so by how much?
    Who ascended to godhood after Deismaar?

I know of none - they all happened at that time.

There are 3 children of the present gods (Eloele, Laerme, and Cuiraecen) not to be confused with newly ascended gods.

I also pointed out the error in Greater godhood and relative "power" of the gods.

I suggest using the Deities and Demigods information, especially that about killing the old gods and also imparted divinity. A type of "Investiture" might work well.

You have to remember that the present gods "replaced" existing ones, except for the children. IMO this is similar to a type of "Investiture".
    Last edited by irdeggman; 11-17-2006 at 09:13 PM.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads

celticbears missing post

celtibear wrote:
    I would think it depends on where you want to go from here. If you want to run a sequel game, where the new gods/former PCs are trying to build their worshippers, then I'd go with Lesser. When a cleric regent rises to power, or a nation declares one of them as a state religion, then they get promoted to Greater.

On the other hand, if you plan on running even occasional adventures for them after they ascend, then I'd go with Demigod, as they would be easier to challenge.

This, of course, assumes I were running the game- your mileage will vary. (Personally, I might let one or two of my players acheive ershelein [sic] status or sainthood, but not godhood. Just my opinion, of course.)

Also, elves being the atheists, I would say they don't get godhood, at all. But again, just my opinion.
    Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You seem to belive that I am confused. It is blantantly obvious that the book of immortals isn't BR. But with any world when you travel the plane or crystal sphere's any thing and everything is possible.

Like I said I have one person who is palying a elf that was at the Battle of Mt Desimar. The others have raised their bloodline scores. I eother have overlooked or can't find the rules for raising thier bloodlines fro great to true.

If what you are saying that is what I need to do to stay with the flavor(and I am) then explain somemore to me about that.

But Now lets break away from that mindset for one moment PLEASE
    and help me with my question.

Which is....
    Say for the moment I have 2 fledgling godlings
    Both on the path of trancendance.
    A procces that takes 8 challanges and 4 Great challanges
    One is a Blooded toon one not, from Greyspace lets say.
    Both ascend at the same time.
    Would the one with the bloodline get a boost in his godhood over the other?
    There are distinct rules for the generating and lvling gods
    Gods rate from 0-Hero/godling such as what the group is now
    then 1 for demi-god status up to a 20 for greater gods.
    Lvl 21+ gods are for the like of AO who no longer need worshipers

This has been my question

Downloads
    Uploads
    That question is more a personal preference IMO.

Bloodline and Strength are week compared to the personal power characters of 30+ level would have.

So, the answer to your question is up to you.

My, admittedly limited, knowledge of 3E godhood tells me that the god rank (greater, intermediate, lesser, demi) is based on the God level, and nothing else. So, whether a player is blooded or not, the first level of godhood would make them a Demi-god regardless of whether or not they are blooded.

On the other hand, I think the God level would strengthen/boost their Blood powers. Since they are sparks of divine essense, gaining ful godhood would likely make the powers highly potent. Either making them at will, very difficult to resist, or having a greater effect. I'd say that would be a GM preference thing.
    When you play the game of thrones you win or you die.
    George R. R. Martin - A song of Ice and Fire

Downloads
    Uploads

Like I said I have one person who is palying a elf that was at the Battle of Mt Desimar. The others have raised their bloodline scores. I eother have overlooked or can't find the rules for raising thier bloodlines fro great to true.

Andrew: I think that there are very deliberately NO such rules as most BR games are low level. I would suggest that the PC must slay a being with a true bloodline and gain their bloodline (I note that these are mostly powerful awnsheghlien), or raise a great bloodline to a score of say 50+ and perform some legendary feat sch as re-unifying the anuirean empire.

Falamar: If what you are saying that is what I need to do to stay with the flavor(and I am) then explain somemore to me about that.

Which is....

OK. BR rule changes: You need to remove the one increase in bloodline strength per generation, permit a great bloodline to be increased to true, and set conditions for doing so, I would suggest that the challenges you mention would be a good starting point for increasingly the bloodline in such a fashion.

I would say that having a true bloodline should be a pre-requisite for godhood in BR - any other means is basically ignoring the setting special rules, so the player without a bloodline is temporarily stuck (although an epic charactor should be able to womp anything short of a dragon / the toughest named awnshegh without breaking a sweat - with bloodtheft a bloodline is a snap for that type) or they could be invested with a bloodline. Alternatively after completing a challenge they could gain a bllodline score as a long dormant bloodline is awakened by the glorious activities of the PC.

While I don't know the rules re: challenges, I would suggest that you could merge the BR and the godling rules and say that to raise a major bloodline to great requires a challenge or two, to raise great to true requires 1-2 great challenges, your non-blooded PC could be chosen as a champion of a faith for their exploits and be invested with a bloodline by the priests for example if they have already 'done' their challenges.

In that way both will be blooded when they ascend and the question of the blodline impact won't arise.

Alternatively the unblooded godling could be called an elemental spirit / demon / etc and gain from different powers from the blooded godling to reflect that their power is arises not from the ancient gods of the humans, but from some wilder source - its a flavour point only but one which could profoundly impact the types of priest they empower.

Personally I would also make the Gorgon, Rhoubhe, The serpent etc godlings of some sort - everyone needs a good challenge. I'm not quite sure how the elves would do as gods, although if they saw themselves as paragons to be emulated rather than father-types to be obeyed it might well work in BR.

Andrew

Downloads
    Uploads

Which is....

There is no connection between bloodline strength and godhood at the points you are talking about.

Bloodlines are a "spark of divinity".

Once you have started any type of ascension, as you have indicated the PCs have, all bets are off.

From that point on things progress outside of bloodlines.

You also need to remember that bloodlines are tied to a specific deity so any ascension based soley on bloodlines would have to follow the bloodline's predisposition.

That is Andurias would be rulership, law and good. Things like that. The old gods were never documented very well (that question has come up before). You would have to make connections with Haelyn and Roele in order to sufficiently connect to what made Andurias tick, IMO.

The same would have to be said of the other bloodline derivations.

As I pointed out earlier there is no connection between deity strength (as in greater to minor deity) for the present gods and all of them ascended at the same time under the same conditions. Hence there is no connection for any new type of ascensions.

I am sorry but I have no idea of the rules under which you are playing so I cannot phrase my answer in a way that is conducive with them.

All I can do is answer IAW with the BRCS (and 2nd ed rules) and some other WotC sources that I have access to.

As far as elves go. Really there is no reason for them to be deified. They are truely immortal and have lived as long as any of the gods. Because of their immortality they do not "worship" any deity in a manner that would increase that deity's power and thus they would not be "worshipped" in a manner that would increase theirs.

You might want to look at Blood Spawn (a free BR download from WotC) that addresses the "history" of the elves from before the world split. The sidebar on pg 5 talks about how two worlds were one and something about the relationship of the elves is in there. Also on pg 27 there is information on the relationship between the elves, the faerie and the Sie. It might be an idea to have the elf meld with his twin faerie and rebecome a Sie instead of the normal deity.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you for the input. In this time frame we play the gorgon and manslayer are demi-gods. And the 1 elf has achieved sainthood. And doesn't consider himself a god(this is the one from Mt Desimar) and doesn't wish to be worshipped but still will gain the power of one when he ascends. The remaining elf was turned to the evil side but was sanctified by the saint "Sanctify the wicked spell" And since his arival in greyspace has considered taking worshipers.
    It says that elf for the most part are not religious and the ones that are keep it to them selves, So that leaves an opening for his to gather a small following on Cerilia.
    Their goal is to return to Cerilia

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you for the input. In this time frame we play the gorgon and manslayer are demi-gods. And the 1 elf has achieved sainthood. And doesn't consider himself a god(this is the one from Mt Desimar) and doesn't wish to be worshipped but still will gain the power of one when he ascends. The remaining elf was turned to the evil side but was sanctified by the saint "Sanctify the wicked spell" And since his arival in greyspace has considered taking worshipers.
    It says that elf for the most part are not religious and the ones that are keep it to them selves, So that leaves an opening for his to gather a small following on Cerilia.
    Their goal is to return to Cerilia
    Its your game, but I would totally disagree with the elf deity issue.

Have you read/played the 2nd ed material or are you basing everything on the BRCS?

In the BRCS (Ch 3):
    Elves cannot advance as clerics except under the most unusual of circumstances. The elves can call upon the forces inherent in wood and water, field and air, but have never worshiped deities. They are aware that the gods of Deismaar existed and that new gods were created, but they do not pay homage to them. Particularly after their deception and betrayal by Azrai, the elves have been adamant in their refusal to worship human gods. To the elves, spiritual development is the responsibility of the individual and not based upon the judgment of external powers.

and Chap 1:
    The elves are aware that gods exist, but they do not pay homage to them. Particularly after their deception and betrayal by Azrai, the elves have been adamant in their refusal to worship human gods. To the elves, spiritual development is the responsibility of the individual. The path that an elf takes is a decision that only he or she can make. So strong is this belief that if an elf chooses to worship one of the human gods, so be it. The only restriction placed upon such rare individuals is that they not discuss their religious ideologies within elven realms.

They are also extremely unlikely to pick up worshippers from other cultures:

• Infamous reputation: Elves are infamous for pursuing campaigns against entire races, including dwarves, gnolls, goblins, and even humans in many regions (including most of Anuire). Elves receive a -4 racial penalty to Diplomacy, a -4 racial penalty to Gather Information, and a +4 racial bonus to Intimidate in areas where they have an infamous reputation.
    They have, as a race, been at war with just about every race on the surface of Cerilia at one time or another - so this reduces the chances of finding any worhippers, IMO.

Just because it seems logical or nice to have elven gods doesn't mean it fits the setting (from a RAW standpoint that is).
    Last edited by irdeggman; 11-18-2006 at 04:05 AM.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    Damn dude you absolutly proved my point for me with that second quote.
    It says they can worship!
    It is a choice they make.
    I may argue my point but I appreciate the input
    Last edited by falamar; 11-18-2006 at 06:01 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Damn dude you absolutly proved my point for me with that second quote.
    It says they can worship!
    It is a choice they make.
    I may argue my point but I appreciate the input
    The emphasis is on "rare".

In general that means singular (or so close to it that they might as well only be singular).

There are also several quotes referencing "adamant in their refusal to worship human deities".

Like I said I am unaware of the rules source you are using for ascension. I do not know if it has a tie of deity power to the number of worshippers. Most of the WotC sources do (or have a strong implication of that). To me this makes having an elven deity so rare (because fo their refusal to worship - except is rare cases) that there would be insufficient number of followers to supply the "power" needed for ascension.

Since you have already decided on this ascension - I would make the elven ascension much different than the others. Elves have (and have never had) gods in Cerilia. This is an important issue that should be reflected in any sort of ascension you have planned. I still think tieing them into the Sie would be sufficiently epic (and different enough) to make for a very interesting "path". It also ties things into the Shadow World (which is always interesting).
    Duane Eggert

Thread Information