Random Questions and such

first off let me say i love the new CS you guys have going. I wanted to point out that there are some gramatical errors and things you may want to revise.

First off, i wanted to point out that despite being the only small race, halflings have no mount for combat. In the players handbook 3.5e page 131, it states that horses are suitable for all medium sized races and ponies for small, aka halflings and gnomes. Being as you have None listed for warponies, it is not expected for a halfling to be a warrior off the bat or not anytime early in his career as a pony must be bought and then trained which could take more time then he has to wait. In addition you did not list the riding dog. At the time of this writing i lack access to my monsters manual to read more information on them but players does say it is a suitable mount for small humanoids.

On that note, the availability chart completely is not clearly explained. What does None mean? Is that indicative that they are no warponies to be found but can be requested and trained? Or would it be hard pressed to have that without having a player with the skill to train the pony for war? You have the locked gauntlet also listed as locked, could the player "get an idea for a new gauntlet" and in turn have an armorer make them or is that beyond the scope of the technology in the time.

Further more, on your ranged weapon list, you also did not list sling, throwing axe, darts, or net. Should these be treated as normal? Since they are not listed, similiar to the riding dog, and you do not have any supplimental information for these tables, i am unsure as to what exactly to do. It suggess that anything not listed is fairly common anywhere. In the case of riding dogs though, being that halflings are not prevalent everywhere, why would we have a mount suited for combat being trained in every land when only three human cultures have light war mounts?

A gramatical error can be found on page 10, chapter two. left column near the bottom of the page it reads in my download, "either to their heir or to into the land itself if they had no designated a heir." The line could go one of two ways, but keeping with the consistancy of the sentence should read; "either to their heir or to the land itself."

Ive been skipping back and forth through the book depending on what i need to learn next so i am not finding these things in page by page fashion. If i find anything else, ill post about it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by nemowolf
    first off let me say i love the new CS you guys have going. I wanted to point out that there are some gramatical errors and things you may want to revise.
    Welcome.

First off, i wanted to point out that despite being the only small race, halflings have no mount for combat. In the players handbook 3.5e page 131, it states that horses are suitable for all medium sized races and ponies for small, aka halflings and gnomes. Being as you have None listed for warponies, it is not expected for a halfling to be a warrior off the bat or not anytime early in his career as a pony must be bought and then trained which could take more time then he has to wait. In addition you did not list the riding dog. At the time of this writing i lack access to my monsters manual to read more information on them but players does say it is a suitable mount for small humanoids.
    That is because there is no halfling "cultural" region on Cerilia. They are natives of the Shadow World and transplants to the Cerilia. There is a single province in Brechtur listed as a halfling run one. Because of this there has been no historical "breeding" of war ponies so they are not "available". War horses are bred from the cultures that have a history of mounted combat - Anuirean, Khinasi and the Elves. The Vos have their own "special" mounts, the Varsk. This also explains the missing entry on riding dogs - they just weren't developed because there was no need for them. If I was to make an entry for them it would say "none" for that fact.

Goblins have wolf riders, but those mounts should probably be considered "special" to the point of being unique to the goblins and handled when the goblins are covered in the d20 Atlas. The same with Orog lizard riders.

On that note, the availability chart completely is not clearly explained. What does None mean? Is that indicative that they are no warponies to be found but can be requested and trained? Or would it be hard pressed to have that without having a player with the skill to train the pony for war? You have the locked gauntlet also listed as locked, could the player "get an idea for a new gauntlet" and in turn have an armorer make them or is that beyond the scope of the technology in the time.
    None means that they aren't available for sale. Some items are just not generally available at all (like the exotic weapons listed in the text) due to the "style" of the setting. Now some character could conceivably "create" an item not available, but I would caution on doing that. If for no other reason then the setting will start to lose its unique aspects and merely become another "generic" D&D setting - or even "Realms Right".

Further more, on your ranged weapon list, you also did not list sling, throwing axe, darts, or net. Should these be treated as normal? Since they are not listed, similiar to the riding dog, and you do not have any supplimental information for these tables, i am unsure as to what exactly to do. It suggess that anything not listed is fairly common anywhere. In the case of riding dogs though, being that halflings are not prevalent everywhere, why would we have a mount suited for combat being trained in every land when only three human cultures have light war mounts?
    If there is no entry then the item is generally considered available everywhere - specifically for weapons and armor of simple design (e.g., simple weapons fall into that category).

Arms and armor of relatively simply design that are not listed below are generally available everywhere

In general, all of the weapons, armor, and equipment in the Player’s Handbook are available somewhere in Cerilia. However, not all equipment is available everywhere. For example, only Khinasi have a preference for curved two-handed swords, so falchions are typically sold only in Khinasi cities. The following tables list the availability of arms, armor, and mounts in each Cerilian culture. If a desired item isn’t available in a character’s region, the character must travel to that locale, or locate an importer or trader who deals in the item.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    Are darts, nets, and slings really weapons? They seem more like
    improvised weapons they could be found anywhere along with pitchforks,
    torches, rope, and other farm-related nastiness. : )

On 9/22/06, irdeggman <brnetboard@birthright.net> wrote:
    > This post was generated by the Birthright.net message forum.
    > You can view the entire thread at:
    > http://www.birthright.net/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=3125
    >
    > irdeggman wrote:
    > ------------ QUOTE ----------
    > first off let me say i love the new CS you guys have going. I wanted to point out that there are some gramatical errors and things you may want to revise.
    > -----------------------------
    >
    >
    >
    > Welcome.
    >
    >
    >
    > First off, i wanted to point out that despite being the only small race, halflings have no mount for combat. In the players handbook 3.5e page 131, it states that horses are suitable for all medium sized races and ponies for small, aka halflings and gnomes. Being as you have None listed for warponies, it is not expected for a halfling to be a warrior off the bat or not anytime early in his career as a pony must be bought and then trained which could take more time then he has to wait. In addition you did not list the riding dog. At the time of this writing i lack access to my monsters manual to read more information on them but players does say it is a suitable mount for small humanoids.
    >
    >
    >
    > That is because there is no halfling "cultural" region on Cerilia. They are natives of the Shadow World and transplants to the Cerilia. There is a single province in Brechtur listed as a halfling run one. Because of this there has been no historical "breeding" of war ponies so they are not "available". War horses are bred from the cultures that have a history of mounted combat - Anuirean, Khinasi and the Elves. The Vos have their own "special" mounts, the Varsk. This also explains the missing entry on riding dogs - they just weren`t developed because there was no need for them. If I was to make an entry for them it would say "none" for that fact.
    >
    > Goblins have wolf riders, but those mounts should probably be considered "special" to the point of being unique to the goblins and handled when the goblins are covered in the d20 Atlas. The same with Orog lizard riders.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > On that note, the availability chart completely is not clearly explained. What does None mean? Is that indicative that they are no warponies to be found but can be requested and trained? Or would it be hard pressed to have that without having a player with the skill to train the pony for war? You have the locked gauntlet also listed as locked, could the player "get an idea for a new gauntlet" and in turn have an armorer make them or is that beyond the scope of the technology in the time.
    >
    >
    >
    > None means that they aren`t available for sale. Some items are just not generally available at all (like the exotic weapons listed in the text) due to the "style" of the setting. Now some character could conceivably "create" an item not available, but I would caution on doing that. If for no other reason then the setting will start to lose its unique aspects and merely become another "generic" D&D setting - or even "Realms Right".
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Further more, on your ranged weapon list, you also did not list sling, throwing axe, darts, or net. Should these be treated as normal? Since they are not listed, similiar to the riding dog, and you do not have any supplimental information for these tables, i am unsure as to what exactly to do. It suggess that anything not listed is fairly common anywhere. In the case of riding dogs though, being that halflings are not prevalent everywhere, why would we have a mount suited for combat being trained in every land when only three human cultures have light war mounts?
    >
    >
    >
    > If there is no entry then the item is generally considered available everywhere - specifically for weapons and armor of simple design (e.g., simple weapons fall into that category).
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Arms and armor of relatively simply design that are not listed below are generally available everywhere
    >
    > In general, all of the weapons, armor, and equipment in the Player`s Handbook are available somewhere in Cerilia. However, not all equipment is available everywhere. For example, only Khinasi have a preference for curved two-handed swords, so falchions are typically sold only in Khinasi cities. The following tables list the availability of arms, armor, and mounts in each Cerilian culture. If a desired item isn`t available in a character`s region, the character must travel to that locale, or locate an importer or trader who deals in the item.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

--
    ROLL THE DICE: Dedicated to the exploration of ideas and concepts in
    Game Design and Theory.
    http://lordrahvin.wordpress.com

Birthright Developer
    Downloads
    Uploads
    On 9/22/06, Lord Rahvin <lordrahvin@gmail.com> wrote:
    > Are darts, nets, and slings really weapons? They seem more like
    > improvised weapons they could be found anywhere along with pitchforks,
    > torches, rope, and other farm-related nastiness. : )

A net is a hunting tool pressed into service in combat.

A dart in D&D refers to small spears, historically hurled by atlatls
    (often before the invention of bows; bows impart more force to the
    arrow, and so you don`t see atlatls after bows much); it`s basically a
    stout arrow, not the little 5 inch job people throw at targets while
    drinking at bars.

A sling is definitely a weapon, and requires a reasonable amount of
    training to hit anything with. Bows are intuitive; look down the
    arrow, and you can hit the broad side of a close target with a couple
    minutes of practice. A sling fires on a tangent vector to the circle
    you`re swinging it in, and is hard to aim. I made a sling last year
    and still can`t reliably hit much of anything with it. I`m very
    impressed by people who can.

The reason a sling is simple in D&D is probably because it`s cheap and
    easily available, so most peasant children could have played with one
    and learned to use it.
    --
    Daniel McSorley

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey, cool. Thanks.

On 9/22/06, Daniel McSorley <mcsorley.1@gmail.com> wrote:
    > On 9/22/06, Lord Rahvin <lordrahvin@gmail.com> wrote:
    > > Are darts, nets, and slings really weapons? They seem more like
    > > improvised weapons they could be found anywhere along with pitchforks,
    > > torches, rope, and other farm-related nastiness. : )
    >
    > A net is a hunting tool pressed into service in combat.
    >
    > A dart in D&D refers to small spears, historically hurled by atlatls
    > (often before the invention of bows; bows impart more force to the
    > arrow, and so you don`t see atlatls after bows much); it`s basically a
    > stout arrow, not the little 5 inch job people throw at targets while
    > drinking at bars.
    >
    > A sling is definitely a weapon, and requires a reasonable amount of
    > training to hit anything with. Bows are intuitive; look down the
    > arrow, and you can hit the broad side of a close target with a couple
    > minutes of practice. A sling fires on a tangent vector to the circle
    > you`re swinging it in, and is hard to aim. I made a sling last year
    > and still can`t reliably hit much of anything with it. I`m very
    > impressed by people who can.
    >
    > The reason a sling is simple in D&D is probably because it`s cheap and
    > easily available, so most peasant children could have played with one
    > and learned to use it.
    > --
    > Daniel McSorley
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

--
    ROLL THE DICE: Dedicated to the exploration of ideas and concepts in
    Game Design and Theory.
    http://lordrahvin.wordpress.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Man, those are almost the exact same answers I gave you!

Nemowolf is one of my players.

Welcome to the BRCS forums man. LOL
    When you play the game of thrones you win or you die.
    George R. R. Martin - A song of Ice and Fire

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by ploesch
    Man, those are almost the exact same answers I gave you!

Nemowolf is one of my players.

Welcome to the BRCS forums man. LOL
    Oh then let me add this one. . . .

Your DM is always right (for his/her game). He/she can change his/her mind, but the DM's rulings always are the answer you must follow.
    Duane Eggert

Thread Information