Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Berserkers

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads

Berserkers

Hi all-

Who here is familiar with the Berserker class from the Viking's Campaign Sourcebook (AD&D 2nd edition)?

I am debating using the berserker class in my campaign. For those of who you don't have it, the berserker has similarities to the 3E barbarian (mainly the whole rage thing), but at higher levels has the ability to shapechange; into a wolf at low levels and a cave bear at higher levels.

My worry is that shapechanging might be a bit overtly magical for Birthright. However, the Rjuriks have their Dooms, of which shapechanging is one, and the Vos berserker kit (2nd Ed) mentions that every berserker has a totem animal (though it has no game effect).

With those points in mind, perhaps this berserker could work. What do you think? Thanks for the input!

-Fizz

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am aware of a certain Huntsman class that may want to do a little resurfacing here.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I added a feat that allows Barbarians to used their numbers of rage per day to shapechange instead. Its only available to Rjurik. Substitute one rage for a shapechange.

Keep in mind the Rjurik battlecard that has shapechangers.

Since there is a nice class, Barbarian, that does much of the same stuff, I prefer to find ways to use Barbarian to get to Berserker rather than make a new class that would duplicate a lot.

Whether Vos shapechange (or what the effect of the totem animal is) I leave to others who have played Vos campaigns.

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by RaspK_FOG
    I am aware of a certain Huntsman class that may want to do a little resurfacing here.
    OK, you must elaborate for those of us who don't know what you're talking about...

-Fizz

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by kgauck
    I added a feat that allows Barbarians to used their numbers of rage per day to shapechange instead. Its only available to Rjurik. Substitute one rage for a shapechange.

Keep in mind the Rjurik battlecard that has shapechangers.

Since there is a nice class, Barbarian, that does much of the same stuff, I prefer to find ways to use Barbarian to get to Berserker rather than make a new class that would duplicate a lot.

Whether Vos shapechange (or what the effect of the totem animal is) I leave to others who have played Vos campaigns.
    Yeah, i wouldn't have both classes- there's too much overlap. My next campaign may be run in 2nd Ed, so i wouldn't have the barbarian as a standard class.

-Fizz

Downloads
    Uploads
    Osprey had written up a Huntsman class that pretty much does what you refer to: a totem warrior with class features such as bonuses to skills and change to the shape of his or her animal totem.

Downloads
    Uploads
    There's a prestige class called Bear Warrior that seems aimed at the barby class...can't remember off the top of my head where it is, but it includes shapeshifting, first to a black, then brown, etc... as levels progress.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Oriental Adventures, then revised for a more generic D&D/barbarian feeling in Complete Warrior.

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reading it some more, i'm thinking i'll allow it, but only for Vos. The Rjurik already have a unique class, while the Vos essentially only allow warriors and priests. They need a class of their own too. I do like the shapechanging ability, so i'll tweak to appropriate animals the Vos would like.

Both the Rjurik battle-ragers and shapechangers are meant to be class-independent. Not sure how that affects balance, but there it is.

-Fizz

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Berserk PrC is in Dieties and Demigods in the Norse Pantheon section.
    Peace is a lie,
    There is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

Thread Information