Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Apparent Adobe Ver 6+/Older PC's conflict

I just posted this in another forum, but then realized there was probably a "correct" place to put it. I might be wrong, but I believe I've analyzed the problem correctly. Which is to say, "I'm sure I'm right, but I don't deny I may be wrong."

---------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by The Swordgaunt
    The link to chapter 2 didn't work, or, "the file was damaged and couldn't be repaired". Is this a real problem, or is it just in my mind?
    I've just experienced this as well, and believe there IS a problem, tho' it's not insurmountable, just needs to be addressed on the Admin end.

It appears that Chap 1 was saved with/as an Adobe ver 5 or lower, and Chapter 2 and etc were saved as Adobe ver 6 or 7 (current.)*

The only problem is... version 6 or higher system requirements are much more than what's required for Windows '98- won't even load on older machines. If ver 5 tries to open a ver 6 or 7 .pdf, it reports the "file was damaged and couldn't be repaired". Not very good foresight on the part of Adobe, but whaddya want from freeware?

So, anyone who still uses '98 (like me, for my desktop/web-surfing computer anyway), is screwed. (Anyone with a more modern machine but an old version of Adobe can download newer versions from Adobe or Tucows.)

Any chance those .pdf's can be "Saved As" an earlier version, so all can enjoy them without arcane computer contortions? (I think no relevant features are lost, unless a Chinese-font version exists, or one with movies instead of artwork is desired.)

------------------
    (*This is based on empirical experimentation only. I still can't open the damn thing to verify the different versions. When I can, come Tuesday, I'll only be able to open it on my work computer- not very handy for when I'm back home.)
    Last edited by Cuchulainshound; 09-04-2006 at 07:24 AM. Reason: thread title snafu

I had this problem, but I downloaded winrar, and now it all works fine. Try that?

Downloads
    Uploads
    (double post- pls ignore/delete)

Downloads
    Uploads
    winrar? vas es das vinrar?

A .rar file is a type of zip file, right? I have no (apparent?) problem downloading or unzipping the files, just opening the .pdf once I've got it.

Or are you saying the problem is in how it's unzipped?

I'll google for winrar, but if you could explain a little more, that'd be great- either way, success or no, thanks for the tip/effort.

(I still think it would be "nicer" if the files were saved in a more basic .pdf form so any old version of Adobe could handle them. It's a "save as" feature, iirc.)

Downloads
    Uploads

Try some of these to see if they work. IMO there will be other pdf files that you may need that won't be 5.0 or earlier (non- BR related).

Pdf makers (free). I can’t testify to how good these are since I haven’t used any of them. Normally use Acrobat Pro 6.0 Professional or ScanSoft’s PDF create 3:

http://www.pdf995.com/

http://www.openoffice.org/

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/pdfcreator/PDFCreator-0_8_0_AFPLGhostscript.exe?download

http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp

Here is a link to a “free” zip software.

It will allow opening up of rar files (but not creating them – too bad on that one).

http://www.7-zip.org/
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    Actually, irdeggman, wouldn't it simply be easier to make the PDF files Acrobat Reader 5 compatible?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by RaspK_FOG
    Actually, irdeggman, wouldn't it simply be easier to make the PDF files Acrobat Reader 5 compatible?
    I'm not certain if there will be "problems" with graphics in the future or not.

This was meant to be a more immediate fix (hopefully). It also might work to aid in downloading "other" pdfs from other sites that might cause problems.

I'll work on backfitting them to 5.0 though.
    Last edited by irdeggman; 09-05-2006 at 02:35 PM.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks- and I appreciate your suggested fixes, as well as efforts to make theese local .pdf's more accessable.

It seems that most of the above are .pdf "creators", and work on the premise that any document you open/can print can be saved as a .pdf, but (do you see it?)... I can't open the documents in question.

I'm looking for a .pdf Reader that can solve the situation- if I find it, I'll be sure to post it here and in the main thread.

Until then, flying blind,

CH

Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up

.PDF Reader Alternative: SOLUTION FOUND

Foxit Reader, freeware, an alternative .pdf reader to Adobe Acrobat.
    Foxit Reader runs on Windows 95/98/NT/2000/XP/2003.

File size- zipped, less than 1 MB, expanded, less than 1.5MB.

(Altho' Foxit has their own site, I found it easier to download from Snapfiles)
    http://www.snapfiles.com/Freeware/sy...wpdftools.html

Very fast download, no "registration" or e-mail addy's necessary, clean and functional. (And it loads faster than Acrobat!)

(Phew!)

Downloads
    Uploads
    You know, there are supposed to be some WORD versions of these documents. So, what's all the fuss about!?

Thread Information