Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gazza666
    I would go further and explicitly point out that the XP reduction isn't balanced at any level. At low levels it fails to punish at all; at high levels it punishes too harshly.

However, in the interests of fairness, it should be pointed out that there is a built-in "catchup" mechanic that RaspK fails to note; a lower level character receives more XP for the same challenges as a higher level one. In practice this rarely serves to catch up completely, but I suspect it would be probable that a scion was never more than 1.5 levels behind.
    Actually, you mentioned that earlier, so I didn't bother mentioning it; on the other hand, let us look at this aspect of the game for a while...

In all honesty, all characters generally get an equal amount of XP should they all participate in the same encounter; however, a lower-level character gets more XP from the same encounter, meaning that he increases the party's total XP (for dropping the average level of the party, especially if half the party is comprised of scions) as well as getting more XP in individual encounters. His greatest benefit, though, is that, while the DMG suggests an amount of wealth per level, he will be more prone to exceed for participating in encounters that will award more treasure/[other rewards]. In effect, he gets fewer XP compared to someone of his level, but he will tend to get an extra couple XPs every now and then, which gets even more dramatic at mid-low levels, when a sudden pump at his XP can actually raise his level. *POOF* Instant chaos.

Furthermore, let us consider the most apparent magic item creators, clerics and wizards: if there is one class that loses the most from a loss of XP, that's someone who makes magic items. In effect, you are further postponing their already slow progress, making them less viable...

Birthright Developer
    Downloads
    Uploads
    On 9/12/06, Gary <geeman@softhome.net> wrote:
    > >It was, way back when people started working on this. Or the inverse,
    > >that non-scions in a scion-based game get a bonus to XP, since that`s
    > >the way it worked in second edition. It wasn`t used because that was
    > >a kludge in 2e, and 3e offered a built-in way to handle it, LA and
    > >racial/class levels.
    >
    > Well, this is the first I`ve heard of it.

It`s been, what, 6 years? I could be misremembering, but I`m pretty sure.

> I would also suggest that the description of 3e having a "built in"
    > way of handling bloodlines is something of a
    > mischaracterization.

Not that it has a built-in way of handling bloodlines. 3e has a
    built-in way to handle characters which are inherently more powerful
    than others, and balance them with baseline characters.

--
    Daniel McSorley

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm going to close this thread for the following reasons.

1. It has strayed way off topic of what the OP had posted.

2. It has gotten extremely long in so doing.

If people want to continue this discusssion then start another post and try to keep it more specific.
    Duane Eggert

Thread Information