Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I like it in principle, and Respect for the creativity, but there is an aspect I don't like, and maybe that's the thing that bothers some of the above posters.

There is no "chance" in finding any (significant?) magic item. None. Not that that's a "bad thing", esp in the BR gameworld, but it does go against concepts that exist in most adventuring (and when we're talking "finding magic items", it is more or less adventuring.)

In order to plunder the equivalent of a dragon horde, EVERY item is either pre-destined for the finder(s), or they are predestined to lose it. Altho' a GM controls everything anyway, this emphasizes the point to the players, really shoves it in their face.

It also takes away a huge amount of the sense of Free Will that many Chaotic-preference Players enjoy- "Maybe I'll kill the wizard, and take his stuff!"... not unless it's predestined, you don't!

Now, predatory behaviour and adventuring are not part of every game and character- but they are of some, and some groups more than others. And even tho' BR is a low-magic game, this might become just a little too restrictive for some players.

But a great idea for those campaigns where that wouldn't be a problem!

These things also work nicely in reverse.

We are playing a Birthright game which does not take place in the original lands, but the low-magic setting on a whole is very present, and what magic there is is closely controlled by the temples and churches.

Playing the only 'true' magic user of the entire party, I was quickly badgered into making a magic this, a magic that... etcetera.
    I have actually taken the item-creation feats to do interesting things with, but because the DM has noted he might want to take the setting and run it once again way in the 'future', either with us or with other people, I have been taking great care in doing two things.

1. Not oversaturating the party with huge-effect magic items. Actually, weapons and armor are limited to a +2 total bonus (per item) and any wondrous item has to be cleared on a case-by-case basis.

2. Make a 'three-dimensional' item. A good name goes a long way, a bit of a description added is better and if you make a little list of the most noteworthy things you did with it completes the process.
    In the end you don't have a 'Maul, +1 and Sonic' but
    "Mertheals Roaring Hammer;
    a stout maul made entirely of steel. The head and the shaft fused into one. The head has been carved to depict the panoramic view as it once was from the highest tower of Mertheals castle and the shaft is wrapped with leather cured from a boar, the owners' family-crest animal. When it is wielded, it will emit a roar that strikes fear into the enemy.
    It is said that this was the very weapon that struck down the witch that tried to take over and controll the Iron Lands."

Thread Information