Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Asset Question

Downloads
    Uploads

Asset Question

Not sure if I'm reading this right...

If a province ruler is to build/raise his Provincial Fortification from 2 to 3, it will cost him 24GB? 8GB x Level?

Downloads
    Uploads
    No, I it is a simple cost per level, not a multiple. Raising from 2 to 3 should cost 8 GB, I believe.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, that makes more sense, otherwise it's quite expensive to build a fortification...I just saw the 'x' and assumed it was a multiplier. Thanks for clearing that up.

Downloads
    Uploads
    hmmm, I always thought it was the other way also.

Yeah it is expensive, but it's supposed to be. Ever Built a castle using the castle builders guide, hundres of thousands of gold are involved.

Quote Originally Posted by ploesch
    Yeah it is expensive, but it's supposed to be. Ever Built a castle using the castle builders guide, hundres of thousands of gold are involved.
    There are many cases where GB and gp just do not interchange. Compare the cost of 200 suits of banded mail to what it costs to get a single unit of heavy infantry, for example.

It's pretty clear that it isn't intended to be a cumulative cost here.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The text is not clear on whether it should be cumulative or not.

My opinion is that it should not be cumulative and use the adding magic properties to an item guidelines for the costs of increasing the "value" of something. At least a similar type of comparison in RAW.

DMG pg 288 adding new abilites (you subtract the previous cost to determine the cost that must be paid now).
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, it looks like everyone is opting for the lower cost, fine by me. My players will be happy to hear it. LOL

I understand that GB do not match GP, and that a unit isn't ussually 200 soldiers, and that it is significantly less expensive to buy the raw materials and hire people to make armor than to buy the finished goods.
    When you play the game of thrones you win or you die.
    George R. R. Martin - A song of Ice and Fire

If it is supposed to be cumulative, then it definitely needs to point out that you can't buy level 2 before buying level 1 (for example). That's why I say that it is clear to me that it isn't - because there is nothing to say that lower level fortifications are prerequisites for larger ones; there's just a cost for the level you want. If you decide to build a level 3 province fortification from scratch, the formula tells you that the cost is 24 GB. If it's supposed to mean that the real cost would be 48 GB, then some sort of footnote to the table would be needed.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I suggest that that would be prohibitively expensive, not to mention time consuming.

Downloads
    Uploads

Talking

I swear I had posted this before....

I went and read through the rules again, and it does seem to indicate that it is not a cumulative cost. I'm fine with that, as it was very, very expensive before. I can't find the exact quote that changed my mind.

It's funny how you can play a certain way for years, and no one ever bothers to see if it's right. I guess we all accepted it because of the cost of Building castles in castle builders guide.
    When you play the game of thrones you win or you die.
    George R. R. Martin - A song of Ice and Fire

Thread Information