Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks again for the answers! I'm starting to understand, finally.

Three further questions, and probably the last ones:

1. So, in reply to your answer so I'm clear, a Guild/Temple Holding regent could technically raise troops and occupy a province from the province regent if they choose to waste GB in such a manner?

2. Would a regent who controls Guild/Temple holdings in a province controlled by a ruler have to pay a tribute and/or taxes to that ruler? Or are they completely independant?

3. And finally, how would you calculate Regency for a ruler who controls a province and different holdings?...if he had that much power.

Example:
    Province 7
    Law Holding 5
    Guild Holding 2
    (All controlled by the province ruler/regent who has a decent bloodline score)

Thanks again, I love this board!!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sorry, I answered question #1 by reading over chapter 6 once more. I see now that they can muster armies, but it is quite difficult for them if there is opposing Law Holdings in the same province...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gazza666
    According to chapter 6, he cannot in fact raise an army if he doesn't control any law (or guild) holdings. Perhaps he could draft, but he can't actually raise "real" troops - whereas the regent that controlled the law holdings in the province can, and could feasibly use them against the landed regent.

Have I missed something?
    Yes. Only a province rule can draft conscripts (and they have no muster GB cost so no equivalent Law holding level prerequisite).

Drafting conscripts

Peasants and other common-folk may answer their liege's call to arms as part of their feudal duty or in defiance to a common enemy. Only a province ruler can call a draft. Such a call to arms may affect province loyalty.

Units listed with the special ability draft represent units made up of the common-folk of a region. When a draft is called, a province produces (at no cost to the regent) a number of regionally conscript units equal to the province level. Thus, a draft in an Anuirean province (4/1) produces 4 units of levies.
    Although there is no normal muster or maintenance cost for drafted units, drafting common-folk can have a significant impact on a realm's economy. Since militia units or levies are composed of people who have other jobs, raising militia applies a –1 penalty to the province’s level for most purposes. The province can still be ruled (using its true value) and the maximum level of holdings within the province are not decreased, but the province is treated as being effectively on level lower for most other purposes. This penalty to effective province level cannot be removed until after all drafted units are disbanded or destroyed. If all drafted units are disbanded in their home province, the province level returns to normal in one month. This recovery takes an additional month per drafted unit that was destroyed or disbanded outside of the province.
    Last edited by irdeggman; 08-16-2006 at 01:39 PM.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Arken2011
    Thanks again for the answers! I'm starting to understand, finally.

2. Would a regent who controls Guild/Temple holdings in a province controlled by a ruler have to pay a tribute and/or taxes to that ruler? Or are they completely independant?
    Not automatically.

No regent pays another a tribute automatically. It requires some soert of agreement between the two in order to happen. This can be an oath of fealty (ie.e., a vassalege) or a simple diplomatic agreement (e.g., "in exchange for protection a guilder agrees to pay the province rule X GB per season" or similar.)

3. And finally, how would you calculate Regency for a ruler who controls a province and different holdings?...if he had that much power.

Example:
    Province 7
    Law Holding 5
    Guild Holding 2
    (All controlled by the province ruler/regent who has a decent bloodline score)
    You need to use the formula for skill ranks and apply it to each holding type. They each gain regency separately. But the total RP limit a regent can gain in a season is limited by his bloodline score.

IMO you seem to be approaching things as if certain conditions automatically provide an interaction and agreement. This is a false basis to use. The game is about forming and developing conditions and interactions - hence the almost limitless variations that are possible.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, I see that now. There are so many variations, just these ones were unclear to me. I'm not saying that these situations will arise, but I'd like to know how to deal with them in any case. By asking these questions it's giving me a better understanding on the system and how it works.

I love what I've read thus far and I'll be trying to grab as many birthright products as my wallet will allow, just to read the background to give myself an even further understanding.

Btw, anyone have or know how to get, an example of play for birthright? I'd love to read one and see how some gaming groups go through the Domain Actions and whatnot. Just curious.

Again, thank you very much for all your help.

Quote Originally Posted by irdeggman
    Yes. Only a province rule can draft conscripts (and they have no muster GB cost so no equivalent Law holding level prerequisite).
    Err... that would be a "no", then, since I noted that the province ruler could draft ("Perhaps he could draft ..."), but not actually muster troops.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Not that this would ever be the case, but....

If I have a Province 5/1, but no other holdings in that province, I cannot muster troops in that province?

It Seems to me the province level should act as a holding, especially for this purpose.

To Arken: As mentioned earlier, it is better in Birthright to have a co-operative game. Im the 5+ Birthright games I've played the PC's have almost always been regents of different aspects of the realm. Priests with Temple Holdings, a Warrior Landed and holding Law, A rogue controlling the guilds, and a wizzard the sources. If they are all in the same Country/Province(s), then their fortunes are inter-connected, so they are almost forced to cooperate, although there is always a choice. Only in one game I've played has there been more than one landed regent at the beginning of the game, and even then we formed an alliance during our first active season which stood until the game ended.

Sure, you can have a competitive game, but that puts allot more strain on the PC's, as generally only a few regents will be active during any season, while with PC's they are going to be active much more often and so tax eachothers resources more, leaving themselves more open to the designs of an NPC regent. I would suggest to them that they should work together, and have 2 NPC regents be active for each PC, this will keep them on their toes, but they always have a choice.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gazza666
    Err... that would be a "no", then, since I noted that the province ruler could draft ("Perhaps he could draft ..."), but not actually muster troops.
    Well drafting is a "special muster" and the effects are that the province's level is lowered for most purposes - one that should specifically happen is the province level as used to determine the maximum number of units able to be mustered during a turn.

So a province ruler can "remove" the capability of a law regent from being able to raise effective troops by calling to muster his levies.

This will, however, have other effects too - like reduced income, domain attitude, etc.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ah, yes. The reason I'm asking all these 'competetive' type questions is because I want to know what the NPC's can do in these situations to keep the PCs on their toes. My players may well be landed-regents, but they will be allied and bordering each other from the get go. It depends on what type of game my players want...and one of them has played birthright before.

So, thanks for all your help guys and if I have more questions I know where to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Arken2011
    Ah, yes. The reason I'm asking all these 'competetive' type questions is because I want to know what the NPC's can do in these situations to keep the PCs on their toes. My players may well be landed-regents, but they will be allied and bordering each other from the get go. It depends on what type of game my players want...and one of them has played birthright before.

So, thanks for all your help guys and if I have more questions I know where to come.
    Well, they can do anything, really...

Consider your Province of 7. And you have a Regent-priest who's getting into the Temple holdings.
    In your Province there's a bishop, and the good man has 3 of these holdings under controll, but your PC priest finds that after claiming 2 temple holdings for his own, there is no more room to gain further influence... In effect, the holdings are all taken. He or she will soon point out that there should be 2 left for grabs because only five of them are taken.
    The last two, however, belong to the Landed Regent who runs the place, who aparently thinks that the clergy to $God-of-choice is all good and well to believe in in public, but that another Deity has their loyalties for real, and he has some covert holdings in priests and followers who feel the same.

This could lead into a lot of different directions. The Regent can leave both the PC and the Bishop alone as long as their goals don't interfere with his. Or he could decide that one of two is getting a little too mouthy in his Realm and come up with the following ploy:

He can start agitating his own covert holdings. Spread rumors of a cult going on. Of course, he'll expect full cooperation of the two temple holders when his law enforcement goes to town, and they crack down on some guild warehouses and some other locations and, coincidentally, raze the Bishop for one level of Temple Holding.
    Then inform the PC, when they think they can 'pick up' the dropped level of holdings, that that one has already been taken somehow.

This could easily turn into an attempt of the landed Regent to covertly convert more and more people to their own religion, or they keep it up, sneak one more level off of the two other regents and then go overt, and force a religious revolution.
    This will at the very least tickle the players' curiosity to possibly find out where all those Temple Holdings are going, and maybe a plot to unveil a secret Cult brewing in the streets of their own hometown.

Thread Information