Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Downloads
    Uploads
    In my last gome game, which lasted over twelve BR years, I had instituted a home system for about every unclear rule we found. I made a very simple system to clarify the xp training action, which went as follow:

A character that had a teacher at least 1 level higher than him, could gain a level in a number of training action equal to his next level. If the teacher was at least 3 levels higher than the character or twice his level(whichever was higher), the training took half the normal time. And if the character could find no teacher of sufficient skills, the time would be doubled.

It would thus go as follow:
    A level 1 fighter wants to go up in level, but doesn't want to adventure on his own yet, so he decides to train instead.
    If he can find a trainer who is at least level 4 fighter, a month of training will be enough to advance to level 2. If he can find a trainer who is level 2-3 fighter, it will take him two months of training to advance to level 2. And finally, if he can't find a trainer, or wants to do it on his own, it will take him 4 months of training to advance in level.

A level 11 fighter wants to do the same. If he can find a level 22 fighter trainer(unlikely in Birthright!!!), he would have to spend 6 month of training. With a level 12+ fighter as a teacher, it would take him a whole 12 month, which is a lot, and its still very unlikely that a major NPC like that would want to spend a whole year training the character. Since the character will likely have to rely only on himself, it would take him a whole 2 years of training to rise up in level! He's probably better off adventuring....

In 3rd edition, it would convert as follows, thanks to the easy to remember xp scale:

Training on your own: 500 xp
    Training with someone of higher level: 1000 xp
    Training with an exceptional trainer(level +3 or level x2, whichever is higher): 2000 xp

Here is the tricky part however!

Under 2nd edition, the xp scale was based on the level in the new class, not so in 3rd edition! Which means that if a fighter 11/mage 1 wants to raise in mage, it will take him no less actions than for gaining another level as a fighter, except that, he would only have to get a teacher level 4 mage to drastically reduce the time needed for the training.
    Other rules I use in my 3rd edition game now:

Feat Training: Requires 6 months of training to gain an extra feat if one can find a trainer, double if training on your own.
    Skill Training: 1 month of training = 1 free rank in a skill.

I might allow someone to gain ranks beyond his normal level maximum, but I haven't decided on how to handle that yet. My reasoning is that its possible for a level 1 commoner to be an exceptional craftsmen, etc... though it would take a much longer time to gain a single rank, so its unlikely it would be useful for Player Characters.

Any thoughts?:)
    Respectfully submitted,

Temujin,
    Would-be ruler of you all. =)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes the max rank rules for skills still applies.
    The reason for allowing GBs to be spent to increase chance of success is to find a better teacher, and training equipment therefore improving his chance of success. Even half a GB bar is a lot of money for a teacher.
    The one thing I don't like about Temujin Khans version is the length of time it takes, four weeks of constant training on one thing is a lot of time. Besides the PCs in my campaign rarely have the time to take a training action lest their realm may fall into jeopardy.
    Cattle die and kinsmen die,
    thyself too soon must die,
    but one thing never, I ween, will die, --
    fair fame of one who has earned.
    HAVAMAL

Thread Information