Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    OK, the Book of Regency lists Training as one of the optional domain actions for your regents. However, I want to know how this takes affect under the 3E rules.

Do you just gain a certain amount of experience per action, or do you instead gain an amount of skill points or even a new feat?

Are there any rules listed for this anywhere, or do you have any house rules that you have been using?
    Arlen Blaede-Blademaster
    Regent of Myddjarna
    First Lord of the Giant Downs

Downloads
    Uploads
    In order to advance in levels you must train. The training must take up a domain action for regents or the equivalent time for non-regents. I believe training can also be used to improve certain attributes but I would have to check my books to be sure. All the Book of Regents is trying to tell you is that in order to advance, you must train and if you are training you don't have time to do other domain actions.
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the
    United Provinces of Cerilia
    "May Haelyn bring justice to your realm"

Downloads
    Uploads
    OK, no problem there. However, my GM has instituted some rules on training that grant specific benefits.

When training for skills you gain 2 skill points per domain action used. These can be spent on any skill allowed by the GM. You are still limited in the maximum number of ranks by your level.

For Feats he has instituted a different system. If you spend a domain action training for a feat you then roll a d6 to determine your progress. You must accumulate 30 points on these die rolls in order to gain the new feat. So even if you rolled amazingly well, it would still take you atleast 5 domain actions to acquire a new feat this way. However, this will let those pesky mages and clerics acquire a few more of the many metamagic feats that are available.

Do you see anything broken with this or do you have any better ideas.
    Arlen Blaede-Blademaster
    Regent of Myddjarna

Downloads
    Uploads
    Doesn't sound like a bad idea..........However while you are off training your realm might just fall down around you.
    "Victory has a thousand fathers,defeat is an orphan."

Downloads
    Uploads
    Orginally posted by Arlen Blaede

OK, no problem there. However, my GM has instituted some rules on training that grant specific benefits.

When training for skills you gain 2 skill points per domain action used. These can be spent on any skill allowed by the GM. You are still limited in the maximum number of ranks by your level.

For Feats he has instituted a different system. If you spend a domain action training for a feat you then roll a d6 to determine your progress. You must accumulate 30 points on these die rolls in order to gain the new feat. So even if you rolled amazingly well, it would still take you atleast 5 domain actions to acquire a new feat this way. However, this will let those pesky mages and clerics acquire a few more of the many metamagic feats that are available.

Do you see anything broken with this or do you have any better ideas.
    Are these feats above and beyond the ones you already earn?

If so I would not have a problem with the amount of time that is being invested because it is creating the equivelant of earning the experience to get the feats the good old fashion way.

If not than I think it is way too much lost time.
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes Lord Eldred, these feats are above and beyond any you may earn through gaining levels in your chosen class.

Oh, I have definitely seen how this could take a hoard of time to complete. I don't see myself spending at least a six months out of the year trying to gain a new feat.

But lets say that your regent got tossed out of power some how and spent about five years doing nothing but hiding, training and building a small corp group of completely loyal companions?

Kinda leaves you sitting there gasping when you realize how many feats you could acquire in this manner.
    Arlen Blaede-Blademaster
    Regent of Myddjarna

Downloads
    Uploads
    The idea of training for feats is a bit flawed if you allow Train to be used to gain level. You get a new feat every 3 levels of experience. it would be faster and BY FAR more beneficial to train for XP levels. To get a new feat you need only 3 train actions and you not only get a feat but the benefits of 3 XP levels.

I personally have restricted the use of Train all together for gaining levels. You can use it to get a flat number of XP (1000). IMO its illogical for a high level character to be able to Train for a single month and go from 16th to 17th level.

I have also implemented XP rewards for nearly all other domain actions (except stuff like Move Troops or Finances) so that regents need not go on adventures or train to get XP.
    Servant of the Most High,
    Lawgiver

Isaiah 1:17
    Learn to do good; Seek justice, Rebuke the oppressor; Defend the fatherless, Plead for the widow.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Lawgiver, I may have misread something, but did you say there was a rule somewhere that says that 3 train actions will give my regent an increase in level? That just seems way too powerful to me and I agree with getting rid of it.

Right now, I don't believe my GM is letting us gain levels/experience through the train action. As for experience for other types of domain actions I am not sure. We haven't really gotten to do a lot in the way of domain turns because we are suffering through a rather painful adventuring phase.
    Arlen Blaede-Blademaster
    Regent of Myddjarna

Downloads
    Uploads
    PS Hey Lawgiver, do you happen to have a list up somewhere of the XP rewards you use for domain actions?
    Arlen Blaede-Blademaster
    Regent of Myddjarna

Downloads
    Uploads
    Orginally posted by Lawgiver

The idea of training for feats is a bit flawed if you allow Train to be used to gain level. You get a new feat every 3 levels of experience. it would be faster and BY FAR more beneficial to train for XP levels. To get a new feat you need only 3 train actions and you not only get a feat but the benefits of 3 XP levels.

I personally have restricted the use of Train all together for gaining levels. You can use it to get a flat number of XP (1000). IMO its illogical for a high level character to be able to Train for a single month and go from 16th to 17th level.

I have also implemented XP rewards for nearly all other domain actions (except stuff like Move Troops or Finances) so that regents need not go on adventures or train to get XP.
    I did not interpret the ability to train as the ability to gain experience points. I argue that if you have enough experience points to go to the next level, in order to get there you must train. This training would include honing the skills of the new feat you will get, any new skill points, beefing up to get more hit points, etc.

I would never allow training in and of itself to allow the increasing of levels without having earned the experience points the normal way.
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the

Thread Information