Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatSeanGuy
    I really feel that was more of a way to balance out the /huge/ power boost you get from Blood Abilities and ruling a bloody kingdom, more than anything. I mean, lets not forget that regent heroes start out with, unless your rolls sucked, usualy two to three blood abilities, ten extra hit points, a whole load of followers and henchmen, a magical item or whatever equipment they wanted and whatever resources their domain happened to have.
    IMO it wasn't as much of a balance issue on that because:

Table 12: Blood Ability acquisition Table

Score (0-10) – 90% chance of no blood abilities
    Score (11-19) – 15% chance of no blood abilities
    Score (20-28) – 10% chance of no blood abilities
    Score (29-35) – 50% chance of no blood abilities

{I actually think the % for 11-19 and 29-35 were mixed up.}

From Table 10 (Bloodline Strength)

There was 25% chance you were tainted (4d4) {avg strength – 8} and a 40% chance you were minor (5d6) {avg strength 15}.

Wizards and bard regents could not get followers.

The "balance" for being non-blooded was supposed to be the extra 10% bonus - which was a substantial thing in 2nd ed. Combine that with the 10% bonus for high stat in primary ability and suddenly a 20% bonus. Very significant for classes with a quick advancement (like thieves).
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    I mean...that's a pretty good deal, no?
    Actually, I do like the deal, even though most of my players aren't regents.

On the XP bonuses, I also give a 5% bonus if I am presented with an in-character diary of the last session - which doubles if only one player has written a diary entry for that session.
    Doyle

Wizards and bard regents could not get followers.

The "balance" for being non-blooded was supposed to be the extra 10% bonus - which was a substantial thing in 2nd ed. Combine that with the 10% bonus for high stat in primary ability and suddenly a 20% bonus. Very significant for classes with a quick advancement (like thieves).
    Fair enough point, I suppose!

Not to go on a tangent but, man, they really screwed Bard regents over in 2E. I mean, /wow/. Personaly, I always house ruled gaving Bards half-Regency for Temple and Law holdings in addition to Guild holdings, to represent the Bard's interest in keeping the cultural and educational level of their domain high. I mean, you'd think a Poet-King would get regency for making sure the kingdom remains civilized, right?

Downloads
    Uploads

Not to go on a tangent but, man, they really screwed Bard regents over in 2E. I mean, /wow/. Personaly, I always house ruled gaving Bards half-Regency for Temple and Law holdings in addition to Guild holdings, to represent the Bard's interest in keeping the cultural and educational level of their domain high. I mean, you'd think a Poet-King would get regency for making sure the kingdom remains civilized, right?
    Ahh 2nd ed was all about "balance"
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads

Well, didn't the bard get quite the shaft, anyway? Still, it's my favourite class theme-wise alongside the druid, wizard and magician classes (in BR in particular).

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by RaspK_FOG
    Well, didn't the bard get quite the shaft, anyway? Still, it's my favourite class theme-wise alongside the druid, wizard and magician classes (in BR in particular).
    Bards have always been one of my favorite classes for role-playing. I hated them in 2nd ed core since a bard throwing around fireballs just didn't seem right to me. BR got it right as far as I was concerned with capturing what a bard should be like and 3.0 pretty much validated the BR themes (I only wish they didn't add in the cure spells - but it is a minor cost).
    Duane Eggert

Thread Information