Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: House Rules

House Rules

Just wondering what house rules (if any) people are using in their Birthright campaigns - obviously with the intention of nicking any that sound cool.

In our campaign, we're playing about a century after the standard time period; the Gorgon has recently swept through the continent that comes with the boxed set killing virtually all of the regents and leaving the lands in disarray. We are playing all elves (well, two elves and a half elf), in Erebannien, and we've claimed Calrie, Dhoenel, and Banien's Deep as well; the realm is called "New Erebannien". The half elf is the matriarch (realm and law regent); the two elves are in charge of the guilds and the sources.

These are the house rules we're using:
    • All scions are gestalt characters, as per Unearthed Arcana.
    • We're not using alignments.
    • We're using the expanded wonders house rules that are available at http://home.earthlink.net/~birthright/id11.html
    • We're using Monte Cooke's sorcerer and bard from the Book of Eldritch Might 2.
    • From the BRCS, we're using the variants that add some druid spells to the arcane lists and the free bodyguard rules from chapter 8.
    • We're pretty much allowed to take any feat from a reasonably authorative up to date 3.5 source, but we're (currently) restricted to spells and magic items from the core rules (plus the BRCS), as we've had some issues with some of Monte's in the past, among others.

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm using a modified combat system and magic system.

The combat system is a work of my own creation, similar to the Grim'N'Gritty rules. It's intent is to make combat a more serious affair, and more realistic. Armor gives DR, characters have far fewer hit points, etc.

The magic system is based off the magic system used in the Midnight setting (great setting btw). It's a point-based system, so the traditional memorize-forget system is gone. (Thus, i don't have a need of the sorcerer class.)

Both seem to work well.

-Fizz

Downloads
    Uploads
    MAGIC
    I use a spell point system. First add all spell levels you can normaly memorize to a pool of spell points (lvl 0 spells = 0.5 point in cost/gain).

To cast a spell you roll spellcraft dc 11 + spell lvl*3.
    You can take 10 or 20 in situation were it is not critical to success, but it takes more time to do this.

DICE
    We use the sum of 2d10 instead of d20. This is to make the impact of skill larger as 2d10 give results centered around 10 rather then a even distribution of d20

FINANCE
    Working on a new finance system... not decided yet.

SKILL TRAINING
    It is possible to spend a month training. To increase a skill you need to spend the same amount of months training as the rank you want to achieve.

You can also learn a skill through exposure, but not higher than rank 2.

For instance Bob does not know how to ride. He and his friends is going on a 1 month trip (riding). In the end of that month he has Ride 1. His friend Kåre that already have Riding 2, does not lear anything about riding from this experience. If he wants to learn more he needs to dedicate the month to learning, and is unable to travle or do much of anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by akalars
    DICE
    We use the sum of 2d10 instead of d20. This is to make the impact of skill larger as 2d10 give results centered around 10 rather then a even distribution of d20
    Sorry to be pedantic, but technically it centres the results around 11, not 10.

I personally think that 2d10 avoids a lot of the pitfalls of skill use with d20, but on the other hand I can see why they went with d20 as the standard - those to hit rolls are just too ingrained in us old timers.

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gazza666
    I personally think that 2d10 avoids a lot of the pitfalls of skill use with d20, but on the other hand I can see why they went with d20 as the standard - those to hit rolls are just too ingrained in us old timers.
    Hmmm, i like that idea of 2d10. Would really cut down on the pure randomness of d20. Would make actions more consistent.

Of course, you could reduce the randomness even more too. 3d8. 4d6. 5d4. Not exactly a 2-20 range but it'd really sharpen than gaussian curve.

-Fizz

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizz
    Hmmm, i like that idea of 2d10. Would really cut down on the pure randomness of d20. Would make actions more consistent.

Of course, you could reduce the randomness even more too. 3d8. 4d6. 5d4. Not exactly a 2-20 range but it'd really sharpen than gaussian curve.

-Fizz
    or the 3d6 Bell Curve rolling system prsented in Unearthed Arcana (pg 132) {complete with how to modify threat ranges for weapons).
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads

Mass-Combat

In my campaign I use a mass combat system I believe was originally deviced by Green Knight (if he's who I think he is) and a friend of ours for a P'n P campaign back in the days of AD&D.

*Edit: Yup. He's the one. I browsed the Ruins of Empir forum the oter day, and it is as I suspected*

It has been revised a couple of times since then, but the core is still the same.

You lay out the battlefield using A4 sheets of paper with the terrain drawn on them. This makes it easy to incorporate almost any type of terrain, such as forests, rivers, mills and what have you. A "square" is 250 meters across.

Each unit of about a hundred men is represented by a small piece of paper (4x6 cm) with stats for Melee, Missile, Morale, Move, Charge, Armor, and Cost. Special abilities and information is also written down here. Characters is usually marked by coloured paper-clips.

Each combat ability (e.g. Charge) is ranked from 1 to 6, and compared with the corresponding ablility from the target unit (e.g. Armor). Modifiers from terrain, magic, and monsters is also calculated in here. This gives a difference of -6 to +6. To resolve the attack, we roll 2d6 and reffer to a table. The result can vary from the total destruction of the enemy unit, to massive commotion within own ranks.

I've also created rules alowing commanders to order his units into formations, rally retreating troops, and have light cavalry harass units of foot without becoming locked i melee.

This system makes it vital for the commanders to out-smart and/or out-maneuver his opponent in order to gain an advantageous position during deployment. The flexibility of the terrain also makes it possible for a commander to maneuver his opponent into a terrain where units such as cavalry is king, or perhaps seriously hindered by obstacles.

the two main strrengths of this system is its versatility and the fact that its cheap.

I've also used the same system scaled down to resolve scirmishing actions with a couple of hundred men on each side. In such cases, the battlefield is smaller, and each unit-cart represents ten to fifty men.
    Last edited by The Swordgaunt; 08-09-2006 at 05:39 PM.
    -Harald

Today, we were kidnapped by hill folk never to be seen again. It was the best day ever.

Blog

House Rules -character creation

I have house rules for both character creation and bloodline abilities. The following is cribbed from my character creation handout, as a tool for players both unfamiliar with the setting (which was most of them) and to work in options from other sources.

Races
    The primary races of the Birthright setting are typical for Dungeons and Dragons based game-worlds: Humans, Half-Elves, Halflings, Dwarves. Birthright doesn’t include Gnomes or Orcs, and I’ve decided to continue leaving them out; Elves distrust and despise humans, and thus I’m taking them out of the playing field. Each of the Cerilian races differs from the equivalent race presented in the Player’s Handbook.
    • Humans in Cerilia are split into five distinct subraces, each representing a different culture. Human characters must be from one of these five cultures. Details on these cultures can be found in the BRCS.
    oAnuirean: Similar in many ways to Renaissance-era Anglo/Normans, though lacking firearms and retaining more customs that are feudalistic.
    oBrecht: Think early-Renaissance Germans with Dutch mercantile instincts, though again lacking firearms.
    oKhinasi: Similar in many ways to the Africans of the early Songhai Empire; the universities of Khinasi are the finest in Cerilia.
    oRjurik: Semi-nomadic tribesmen who prize their families and freedom, they are similar in many ways to the late Dark Age Irish, Lapps, and Wendlanders.
    oVos: Something like the Dark Age Slavs of eastern Europe, Vos inhabit the colder northeastern portion of Cerilia.
    •Half-Elves should choose one of the human cultures to represent their human parent’s culture. There is only a single race of elves in Cerilia, though, so choosing an elven subrace is unnecessary. Half-elves are rare enough that only one player in the group may choose to play one; Kevin has dibs on this one.
    •Halflings are a race native to the Shadow World, a fey realm that parallels Aebrynis. I’m changing them from a race living on the edges of human civilization, as presented in the BRCS, to a race of gypsy-like itinerants constantly on the move.
    •Dwarves are a gruff mountain folk, whose bodies are twice as dense as other creatures, weighing 350-400 pounds despite averaging only 4-4 1/2 feet tall.

Additionally, I’m allowing a few races from other sources, though only one player in the group may play a member from any of these given races.
    •Giantborn: The rare viable offspring of a human and a hill, frost, or fire giant, Giantborn are on the large side of Medium size, generally 7-8 feet in height. Their racial traits are:
    o+4 Strength, +2 Constitution, -2 Intelligence, -2 Wisdom, and -2 Charisma
    oMedium size, 30’ base land speed
    oLow-light vision
    oChoose a giant parent, and apply the appropriate following ability-
    •Fire Giantborn: Fire subtype. Immunity to fire, vulnerability to cold (take +50% of all potential cold damage, regardless of whether a saving throw is allowed, or if the save is a success or a failure).
    •Frost Giantborn: Cold subtype. Immunity to cold, vulnerability to fire (take +50% of all potential fire and heat damage, regardless of whether a saving throw is allowed, or if the save is a success or a failure).
    •Hill Giantborn: Unlike other Giantborn, the subtype of the Giant parent does not preclude the possibility of the blood abilities.
    •Half-Ogres: Half-breeds of Orogs and humans, these strong but ugly brutes are capable of being civilized, but not many are encountered in human lands. They cannot be blooded scions. (RoD)
    •Illumians: the Illumians have a colonial foothold on Dantier Island, off the west coast of Cerilia on the edges of the Sea of Storms. Illumians appear much as other humans, but glowing glyphs move and shift beneath the surface of their skin. Being recent colonists from the Shadow World, Illumians do not carry any bloodlines, but due to their unique nature may still become Wizards or Sorcerers. (RoD)
    •Sharakim: Once believed to be human, these creatures are orc-ugly yet erudite. While they can manifest bloodline powers, they are unable to manifest major or great blood abilities. (RoD)

Classes
    Though all the core classes can be adapted to a Knightly campaign, some are better suited than others. There are also a few core classes not in the Player’s Handbook that are suitable for the campaign, and still others that have changes in the Birthright setting.
    •Bard (PHB/BRCS): Bards in Cerilia are welcomed through most lands as historians, troubadours and itinerant newsmen. Like Magicians, Bards utilize lesser magic, combining the same arts of the Magician with their own musical training.
    •Magician (BRCS): Although the study of lesser magic is less demanding than the pursuit of true magic, magicians cannot afford to depend on their art alone to provide them with safety and a livelihood. Magicians develop a wide variety of skills that make them invaluable companions, advisors, healers and teachers. Magicians are quite flexible and each one develops those skills and abilities that they find most useful in meeting their duties and obligations. Magicians usually come from the wealthier parts of society.
    •Monk (PHB): The path of the Monk is known only among the Illumians; the other races of Cerilia lack the cultural referents and history to produce Monks.
    Noble (BCRS): The noble class is the PC class counterpart to the NPC Aristocrat class presented in the Dungeon Master’s Guide. Just as the warrior class represents experience, but not the sophisticated training in fighting possessed by Fighters, the aristocrat class represents experience, but not sophisticated training a Noble receives in the art of command.
    Paladin (PHB/BRCS): In Cerilia, Paladins are warriors who uphold the virtues of their gods, but different gods require different standards of behavior and alignments, and grant different powers as rewards to their chosen. Only the gods Haelyn (LG), Avani (LN), Cuiraécen (CG), Nesirie (NG, females only), and Moradin (LG, dwarves only) accept paladins into their service. All paladins must serve one of these five deities.
    Sorcerer (PHB): In Aebrynis, only blooded scions, half-elves, and Illumian PCs wield the greater magic of Sorcerers.
    •Tantrist (BoEF): Like the Monk, the path of the Tantrist is known only among the Illumians; the other races of Cerilia lack the cultural referents and history to produce Tantrists. Tantrists channel their Constitution and the energy of sex into arcane magic of the Greater path.
    Wizard (PHB): In Aebrynis, only blooded scions, half-elves, and Illumian PCs wield the greater magic of Sorcerers.

Prestige Classes
    With the campaign’s focus on Knighthood and Chivalry, the following Prestige Classes are available to player characters who meet the requirements. Some of these classes have additional or altered requirements, as appropriate to the setting.
    •From the Dungeon Master’s Guide: Arcane Archer, Archmage§, Duelist, Eldritch Knight, Heirophant, Shadowdancer†, Thaumaturgist*
    •From the Book of Exalted Deeds: Anointed Knight, Exalted Arcanist§, Skylord, Swanmay
    •From the Complete Arcane: Arcanamach* (called Suel Arcanamach in the book), Elemental Savant*, Geometer§
    •From the Complete Warrior: Bladesinger, Cavalier, Dervish, Halfling Outrider, Justiciar, Spellsword, Stonelord, Tattooed Monk§
    •From the Book of Erotic Fantasy: Divine Celibate, Dominator, Harem Protector, Knot Binder
    •From the Races of Destiny: Loredelver, Menacing BruteҖ, Scar Enforcer, Shadow Sentinel

* additional requirement: Ability to utilize Greater Magic
    † additional requirement: Shadow Walker feat
    § additional requirement: Illumian
    Җ altered requirement: Half-ogre or Giantborn rather than Half-orc.

House Rules -scion feats

Bloodline Feats and Power Selection

Blooded Scion (Scion);
    Prerequisites: Human, Dwarf, Half-Elf, Halfling, Hill Giantborn, or Sharakim of 1st level, or upon being invested/performing usurpation
    Benefit: Choose a derivation. Gain one Minor blood ability. If your Charisma bonus is +2 or greater, you also gain one new Minor blood ability each time you gain a new character level, until you reach your limit, which is a total number of Minor abilities equal to your Charisma bonus.
    Derivations and Minor Abilities
    Anduiras: The blood of Anduiras, the old god of noble war runs through your veins. Minor Abilities: Animal Affinity, Bloodmark, Courage, Detect Lie, Detect Life, Healing, Heightened Ability: Charisma, Heightened Ability: Strength, Iron Will, Long Life, Major Resistance: Charm, Resistance.
    Azrai: You have the blood of Azrai, the old god of shadows and evil running through your veins. Minor Abilities: Alertness, Alter Appearance, Animal Affinity, Bloodmark, Death Touch, Detect Illusion, Detect Life, Fear, Heightened Ability: Charisma, Heightened Ability: Intelligence, Iron Will, Long Life, Major Resistance: Charm, Major Resistance: Poison, Poison Sense, Resistance
    •Basaïa: You have the blood of Basaïa, the old goddess of the sun running through your veins. Minor Abilities: Alertness, Animal Affinity, Bloodmark, Detect Illusion, Detect Lie, Detect Life, Healing, Heightened Ability: Intelligence, Light of Reason, Long Life, Major Resistance: Poison, Resistance
    Brenna: You have the blood of Brenna, the old goddess of commerce and fortune running through your veins. Minor Abilities: Alertness, Alter Appearance, Animal Affinity, Blood History, Bloodmark, Detect Illusion, Detect Lie, Detect Life, Heightened Ability: Dexterity, Long Life, Major Resistance: Charm, Major Resistance: Poison, Resistance
    Masela: You have the blood of Masela, the old goddess of the seas running through your veins. Minor Abilities: Animal Affinity, Blood History, Bloodmark, Detect Illusion, Detect Lie, Detect Life, Direction Sense, Long Life, Major Resistance: Poison, Resistance
    Reynir: You have the blood of Reynir, the old god of nature running through your veins. Minor Abilities: Alertness, Animal Affinity, Bloodmark, Detect Illusion, Detect Lie, Detect Life, Direction Sense, Forest Walk, Healing, Heightened Ability: Constitution, Iron Will, Long Life, Major Resistance: Charm, Major Resistance: Poison, Poison Sense, Resistance
    Vorynn: You have the blood of Vorynn, the old god of the moon and all things arcane running through your veins. Minor Abilities: Alter Appearance, Animal Affinity, Blood History, Bloodmark, Detect Illusion, Detect Lie, Detect Life, Heightened Ability: Wisdom, Long Life, Mebhaighl Sense, Resistance

Renowned Scion (Scion);
    You have unlocked the major abilities of your divine blood.
    Prerequisites: Blooded Scion feat and either character level 9+ or bloodtheft of an Renowned or an Exalted Scion
    Benefit: Gain one Major blood ability. If your Charisma bonus is +4 or greater, you also gain one new Major blood ability each time you gain a new character level, until you reach your limit, which is a total number of Minor abilities equal to your Charisma bonus minus two.
    Derivations and Major Abilities
    •Anduiras: Major Abilities: Animal Affinity, Battlewise, Bloodtrait, Courage, Detect Life, Divine Aura, Enhanced Sense, Healing, Long Life, Major Resistance: Charm, Protection from Evil, Resistance, Unreadable Thoughts
    •Azrai: Major Abilities: Animal Affinity, Battlewise, Bloodform, Charm Aura, Death Touch, Detect Life, Divine Aura, Enhanced Sense, Long Life, Major Resistance: Charm, Major Resistance: Poison, Major Resistance: Non-magical Attacks, Persuasion, Resistance, Unreadable Thoughts, Wither Touch
    •Basaïa: Major Abilities: Animal Affinity, Bloodtrait, Character Reading, Charm Aura, Detect Life, Divine Aura, Enhanced Sense, Healing, Light of Reason, Long Life, Major Resistance: Poison, Protection from Evil, Resistance, Unreadable Thoughts
    •Brenna: Major Abilities: Animal Affinity, Bloodtrait, Character Reading, Charm Aura, Detect Life, Divine Aura, Enhanced Sense, Home Hearkening, Long Life, Major Resistance: Charm, Major Resistance: Poison, Major Resistance: Non-magical Attacks, Persuasion, Protection from Evil, Resistance, Unreadable Thoughts
    •Masela: Major Abilities: Animal Affinity, Bloodtrait, Detect Life, Divine Aura, Enhanced Sense, Long Life, Major Resistance: Poison, Major Resistance: Non-magical Attacks, Protection from Evil, Resistance, Sea Song, Unreadable Thoughts
    •Reynir: Major Abilities: Animal Affinity, Bloodtrait, Detect Life, Divine Aura, Enhanced Sense, Forest Walk, Healing, Long Life, Major Resistance: Charm, Major Resistance: Poison, Protection from Evil, Resistance, Unreadable Thoughts
    •Vorynn: Major Abilities: Animal Affinity, Bloodtrait, Character Reading, Detect Life, Divine Aura, Enhanced Sense, Long Life, Mebhaighl Sense, Protection from Evil, Resistance, Unreadable Thoughts

Exalted Scion (Scion);
    You have unlocked the great abilities of your divine blood.
    Prerequisites: Renowned Scion, Regency, and either character level 15+ or bloodtheft of a Regent with the Exalted Scion feat.
    Benefit: Gain one Great blood ability. If your Charisma bonus is +6 or greater, you also gain one new Major blood ability each time you gain a new character level, until you reach your limit, which is a total number of Minor abilities equal to your Charisma bonus minus four.
    Derivations and Great Abilities
    •Anduiras: Great Abilities: Animal Affinity, Bloodtrait, Courage, Detect Life, Divine Aura, Divine Wrath*, Elemental Control, Enhanced Sense, Healing, Long Life, Major Resistance: Charm, Major Resistance: Magic, Protection from Evil, Regeneration*, Resistance
    •Azrai: Great Abilities: Animal Affinity, Berserker’s Blood*, Bloodform, Charm Aura, Detect Life, Divine Aura, Enhanced Sense, Invulnerability*, Long Life, Major Regeneration*, Major Resistance: Charm, Major Resistance: Poison, Major Resistance: Non-magical Attacks, Major Resistance: Magic, Regeneration*, Resistance, Shadow Form, Touch of Decay, Travel, Wither Touch
    •Basaïa: Great Abilities: Animal Affinity, Bloodtrait, Charm Aura, Detect Life, Divine Aura, Divine Wrath*, Elemental Control, Enhanced Sense, Healing, Invulnerability*, Light of Reason, Long Life, Major Resistance: Poison, Protection from Evil, Resistance, Travel
    •Brenna: Great Abilities: Animal Affinity, Bloodtrait, Charm Aura, Detect Life, Divine Aura, Home Hearkening, Long Life, Major Resistance: Charm, Major Resistance: Non-magical Attacks, Major Resistance: Poison, Protection from Evil, Resistance, Shadow Form, Travel
    •Masela: Great Abilities: Animal Affinity, Bloodtrait, Detect Life, Divine Aura, Divine Wrath*, Elemental Control, Enhanced Sense, Long Life, Major Resistance: Poison, Major Resistance: Non-magical Attacks, Protection from Evil, Resistance, Travel
    •Reynir: Great Abilities: Animal Affinity, Bloodtrait, Detect Life, Divine Aura, Elemental Control, Forest Walk, Healing, Long Life, Major Regeneration*, Major Resistance: Charm, Major Resistance: Poison, Major Resistance: Magic, Protection from Evil, Regeneration*, Resistance
    •Vorynn: Great Abilities: Animal Affinity, Berserker’s Blood, Bloodtrait, Detect Life, Divine Aura, Enhanced Sense, Invulnerability*, Long Life, Major Resistance: Magic, Mebhaighl Sense, Protection from Evil, Resistance, Travel

Blood Focus [General]
    Your abilities are hard to resist.
    Prerequisite: Blooded Scion feat
    Benefits: Add +2 to the Difficulty Class for all saving throws against your blood abilities. You get a +2 bonus to your character level checks (1d20 + character level) to beat a creature's spell resistance.

Bloodline Prodigy [General]
    One of your blood abilities can be used more often and to greater effect.
    Benefits: All variable, numeric effects of the blood ability are increased by one-half. Additionally, if the ability has a limited number of uses over a given time period, the ability can be used twice as often.

Fitness of the Blood (Scion)
    You have learned to focus the power through your healthy constitution.
    Prerequisites: Blooded Scion feat, Constitution 13+
    Benefit: The maximum number of blood abilities, whether Minor, Major or Great, are based on your Constitution bonus rather than Charisma bonus.

Vigor of the Blood (General)
    You have learned to focus the power through your physical strength.
    Prerequisites: Blooded Scion feat, Strength 13+
    Benefit: The maximum number of blood abilities, whether Minor, Major or Great, are based on your Strength bonus rather than Charisma bonus.

Mixed Bloodline (Scion)
    You have a very rare facility due to a balance of two bloodline derivations
    Benefits: Chose a second derivation from a second old god. You may choose abilities from this alternate derivation as well as your original one, though your total number of abilities doesn’t change.

Dedicated Scion (Scion)
    You have found greater depths of your blood abilities.
    Benefits: You gain two additional Minor abilities, within your derivation, beyond your normal limit. These abilities are gained immediately upon taking this feat.

Devoted Scion (Scion)
    You have quested to tap even greater potentials.
    Prerequisite: Dedicated Scion feat, Renowned Scion feat
    Benefits: You gain an additional Major ability, within your derivation, beyond your normal limit. This ability is gained immediately upon taking this feat.

Master of the Blood (Scion)
    You have unlocked great secrets.
    Prerequisite: Devoted Scion feat, Exalted Scion feat
    Benefits: You gain an additional Great ability, within your derivation, beyond your normal limit. This ability is gained immediately upon taking this feat. You may only take this feat once.

House Rules -foot notes

Even I think all of this seems a bit over-powered, but I've balanced my game in a couple of ways:

1) Magic items are vanishingly rare; the party has three minor items at 6th level, split between 7 characters. They are all too busy taking scion feats to take item creation feats, and none of them appreciate the experience expenditure required for such endeavors, regardless (in fact, none of my players have created magic items since the advent of 3.0, in any setting).

2) Though there is a lot of combat, most of it so far has been of the knights-at-tournament variety, with a great deal of role-playing and politicking, romance and intrigue. None of the PCs are regents as of yet, and they don't have those resources to draw on either.

Thread Information