Downloads
    Uploads

Black Strike Suggestion

I was looking over the BRCS download, and one point stuck out to me. The Black Strike feat seemed to be off to me at first.

I thought it was it had basically been usurped by two-weapon defense, but worse still, it stacks with two-weapon defense.

Someone can get a +3 AC (+2 dodge, and +1 shield) combining these feats. And with a main-gauche, and expertise, it goes up to +5 minimum. Admitedly +5 from 3 feats isn't that great, but the dex requirement makes it +7 or better, and it stacks with other dodge bonuses, like from dodge.

Haven't run all the numbers yet, but a Brechtish Swashbuckler wearing studded leather can have a rediculous AC pretty quick.

So here is my suggestion

Black Strike
    Region: Brechtur
    Prerequisites: Two-Weapon Fighting, Two Weapon Defense

Benefit: A character with black strike retains the Shield Bonus to AC from Two-Weapon Defense even when attacking with their off hand.

This way you don't have stacking AC issues, and it makes continuing to the improved two-weapon fighting feats more attractive.

Just my thoughts
    Check Out Chronicles of the Neomyth for a unique RPG system authored by me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelphthal
    I was looking over the BRCS download, and one point stuck out to me. The Black Strike feat seemed to be off to me at first.
    And that is the main reason it was deleted from the sanctioned version of Chapter 1. (Check the pinned section at the top of this thread for the sanctioned versions of Chapter 1 and 2.)

Pretty much no matter how you try to rework the 2nd ed fighting style it still ends up be a subset of existing feats adn fighting styles (fighting defensively, two weapon fighting, dodge, etc.)
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well... I guess I sit corrected... oops
    Check Out Chronicles of the Neomyth for a unique RPG system authored by me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    No worries, mate. Irrdeggman is The Keeper of The Lore. I know I've made a few suggestions that turned out to be not so great (seen my exp for actions thread?).

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by irdeggman
    And that is the main reason it was deleted from the sanctioned version of Chapter 1. (Check the pinned section at the top of this thread for the sanctioned versions of Chapter 1 and 2.)

Pretty much no matter how you try to rework the 2nd ed fighting style it still ends up be a subset of existing feats adn fighting styles (fighting defensively, two weapon fighting, dodge, etc.)
    I'm a bit confused about this.

The suggestion was to make the Black Strike feat such that you don't lose the AC bonus when attacking with the off-hand weapon. That sounds valid to me.

But, looking at the Two-Weapon Defense feat from the PH, it makes no mention of losing the AC bonus when attacking with the off-hand.

So, what's the story here? Am i missing something?

-Fizz

Downloads
    Uploads
    In 2nd ed the Black Strike Fighting Style gave the character:
    Basically the character got an AC bonus due to Reaction Adjustment and one for using a main gauche (weapon automatically gave a -1 to AC). These Ac bonuses were based on character level.

Now in 2nd ed there was so dodge bonus nor was there a bonus for fighting defensively in the core rules.

In 3.5 a character can get +1 to AC when using a main gauche when fighting defensively or using the 2 weapon defense feat.

A character can also use the following feats:

Dodge (+1 dodge bonus to AC)
    Mobility (+4 dodge bonus to AC against an AoO when moving)
    Two Weapon Defense (+1 to AC when fighting with 2 weapons, +2 when fighting defensively or in total defense)
    Combat Expertise (up to -5 off of attack and gain the same bonus to AC, limited by BAB)
    Fight Defensively (-4 from attack and +2 to AC)
    Total Defense (+4 to AC but can’t attack)

From non-core books:
    Defensive Strike (CW)
    Greater Two Weapon Defense (CW)
    Improved Combat Expertise (CW)
    Improved Two-weapon Defense (CW)

Melee Evasion (PHB II)
    Combat Defense (PHB II)

So pretty much there are already in place a number of feats and combat maneuvers that come real close to duplicating the 2nd ed feat - so many that we dtermined it wasn't worth attempting to write another niche one. With PHB II and other supplemental books the choices become even larger.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    I liked the idea of the Blacksrtike so in my campaign I made it a prestige class instead of just a feat.

At the time of making the prestige class there weren't many 3.5e books out but my version ended up like the Swashbuckler prestige class which was brought out in a book later.

I don't have it saved as a document but I have a copy of it on paper. If enough people are interested I could type it up and post it.

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, i see that a separate feat for Black Strike is not explicitely needed, as other feats emulate the effects quite nicely. Indeed `Black Strike' could simply be the name for a collection of feats.

I just found the initial question and feat confusing- a recommended feat that allowed you to retain a bonus that wasn't taken away in the first place. That is- the propsed feat here retained the AC bonus, but the rules for Two-Weapon Defense don't say that you lose it anyways.

So, i thought i was missing something. Guess not. Heh.

-Fizz

Thread Information