Thread: Oriental

Downloads
    Uploads
    I remember some talk
    "I am the Servant of the Flame of Arnor"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sorry!
    Something got screwed in the first mail. The question is: Does anyone thing an Oriental "BirthRight" setting ould be a good idea. I know that we still need to make the "oOccidental" BirthRight setting, but the idea struck me.

What do you think?

Baragos

Downloads
    Uploads
    It depends on what it is you have in mind.Do you wish to introduce an Oriental style culture to existing BR,or do you want a BR inspired Oriental style game??

If the former I would have to say bad idea.If it is the latter I would say it is worth a go,as long as the players understand the differences in Eastern influenced games and Western....
    "Victory has a thousand fathers,defeat is an orphan."

Downloads
    Uploads
    idem
    answer varies !!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think an oriental culture in Birthright would be possible, but there are already enough cultural difference in Birthright. I was more thinking of doing a seperate world/continent with oriental cultures (Chineses, Mongolian, Japanese, Indian, etc). Perhaps instead of Bloodlines people would have Honour ratings. These could give special powers? One's honour would affect how much regency one collected. And even rogue (Ninja) regents would have honour, even though their loyalties are different.
    Any suggestions for races/cultures?
    Bloodline or Honour?
    Should Honour give special powers?
    Other comments, please!

Baragos

Downloads
    Uploads
    Honor giving special "Blood" abilities,no.But if you have a high/low Honour,it could give bonuses/penalties to certain actions such as Diplomacy,Decrees and what not.

But honestly,I beleive that Eastern cultures would not lend itself over well to a BR-style game.Subterfuge would be a must have ability.I beleive that there would have to be some major work to make it fit right with an Eastern setting.
    "Victory has a thousand fathers,defeat is an orphan."

Downloads
    Uploads
    Of course intrigue and subterfuge would be important, but I don't think they would be the only areas of a BR-like Oriental campaign. The Shogun-like warlords, fighting for control of the Celestial Empire would need some espionage, yes. But Diplomacy, "Resource management" and direct war-fare would also be important. To give the campaign a further plot element, perhaps "European" travels have made contact with the oriental world. Every regent would have to consider the possibilities of alliances with the foreigners.
    Another thing. The oriental setting presented in Oriental Adventures (which would be necesarry for this campaign) features a "shadow world", with dangerous Oni (demons) who try to corrupt mortals. I think that sound rather like the corrupting influence of Azrai's blood and the dangers of the dark Shadow World.
    For cultures I would suggest: Chinese-like culture (great monarchy with different clans fighting for the political power), Japanese-like (several minor lords also fighting for power), Mongol-like (the Vos with a slight twist), and a couple of demi-human cultures, e.g. dwarven-like Korobokuru and the rat-like scavengers Nazuni. The other "traditional" oriental races (spirit folk, hegeyokai and the monkey-men, as well as nagas and tengus) are IMO unsuitable as regents, except in very rare circumstances.
    The rules will have to be looked at, yes, but I think most of it can be used as is. I think Honour is better than Bloodline, unless the campaign is set in the same world. Ancestry will still be important, as your families honour is more important than your own. I think you're right Riegan. Honour should not give special powers, but should aid in governing, diplomacy, etc.

Baragos

This sounds pretty interesting, I feel another big project coming on.:)

I think this would work well as both a separate world or in the present setting. It would fit well in eather place.

The Honor belief would really be the bloodline, but since these people were not at the great battle this has been distributed differently. Have the land far from Anuire and may never deal with it as of yet. Add it by the Dragon Islands that have been talked about by others.

I thought there was some sort of Map of the whole BR world around somewhere does anyone know where that went?
    The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of God stands forever.
    (Isaiah 40:8)

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like the idea of a n asian culture. Though, I'm not sure where they would fit into the present world.
    I'd add it either as a far eastern continent or as a seperate continent on the totally opposite hemisphere. (dig a hole through the earth to China kind of thing...)
    Servant of the Most High,
    Lawgiver

Isaiah 1:17
    Learn to do good; Seek justice, Rebuke the oppressor; Defend the fatherless, Plead for the widow.

Downloads
    Uploads
    1) Personally I think it could work well if it was a far off continent. Perhaps some people from Aduria have discovered it, but the journey takes several months by ship on a storm-wrecked ocean. Therefor the contact would be minimal.
    2) Honour/Bloodline: These could be the same, just viewed differently by the oriental people. To the Chinese and Japanese Fate decided which families had great potential and which didn't. Those deemed to have great potential (in the eyes of the oriental) would be those with a high honour/bloodline. Thus it would be the deities who "decided", just as the former deities' blood fueled the ruling families on Cerilia. It would be possible to "carve one's own destiny", i.e. start without much honour/bloodline strength and then acquire it through deeds later in life.
    3) Sources (rules): I believe it would be easiest to use the classes, etc. presented in Oriental Adventures. Except perhaps for the samurai they are all very nicely done. The samurai could be changed, or the class could have some regency benefits (most Japanese lords were samurai of some kind). The oriental people should probably have their own gods, even though they might just be other aspects of the same gods as the Cerilians worship. Animisn, the belief in natural spirits, would also work well in a BR-like campaign. It is fundamentally the same belief as that of the elves.

Baragos

P.S. If anybody shares the feeling of another big project, please feel free to come with suggestions.

Thread Information