• No

8 4.12%
  • Other suggestion

3 1.55%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Birthright wiki

Downloads
    Uploads
    Arjan - now I understand, and I change my mind .

You will have a lot of "fun" with folk like me who don't like "low magic, low level" vision of Brt and one will see C. Dosiere stats with 20 magic items and similiar weird things . IMHO it will be good.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just reading your post, Thomas, made me remember something. Some where I saw printed a campaign suppliment or whatnot that took an interesting approach. Each main villain or character had several different versions of them. And their equipment and level were varied. The purpose of this was for Game Masters who were running a lower powered campaign as opposed to those running a higher powered campaign.

Maybe with this wiki it could be similar. For example, if I am a DM, and I want to see some stats for the Gorgon. I could search the wiki and probably find several different versions, all of varying power level. I could pick the one that fits my view of Cerilia. And if my players also went to the wiki, they wouldn't know which one I picked. If they abused their player knowledge-character knowledge relationship they might be in for a sore suprise. Also, that might correlate real well to what the inhabitants of Cerilia might actually believe. You go into one tavern and hear stories about how Stoney-Butt is so unbelievably powerful, but is the 'Real' Stoney-Butt big enough to live up to the legend or is it an exageration? There is only one way to find out!
    Last edited by ausrick; 05-09-2006 at 12:21 PM.
    Regards,
    Ausrick

Downloads
    Uploads

what would you contribute?

I am yet to place a vote in the poll because most of the comments seem to be about how they expect most editors/contributers to behave and what people would like to see included on the wiki. But I am interested in what you, the BR subscriber, think that you would do if the wiki existed.

Myself, I am a AD&D player, not a DM, and haven't played much D&D3.5. So my main contributions would be editing to fix formatting, English spelling and grammar. That's mainly what I do for other wikis. I might also add background stories to components, areas and people and suggest plots and plot hooks.

Sorontar
    Sorontar
    Information Communication ILLUMINATION!!

I am somewhat undecided, honestly.

On the one hand, yes this may very well result in more rapid additions to the ruleset we accept as 'official' and would make things easier when it comes to providing an answer when someone asks a question that isnt quite covered in what is already there. This is, obviously, a very good thing.

On the other... the main downside to Wiki is that all 'facts' provided in Wiki have to be taken with a grain of salt. Since anyone can post their own data or edit someone else's, there is no way to be certain that when you look something up it hasnt been provided or edited by someone out there who is very, very wrong, which could result in some very game-breaking situations. Few things would rip my players out of an otherwise immersive game session more effectively than me as the DM having to go, "Wait a second, that cant possibly be right. We're gonna have to do that whole domain turn over again."

I havent actually managed a Wiki myself, so I'm not aware of potential admin tools. But if there is some means of having submissions either not show up, or go to an alternate location in the Wiki untill an admin can look it over and confirm, deny, or edit it before adding it to the official data, that would be ideal. This would prevent a great deal of errata as well as avoid another situation I've seen with Wiki (two individuals who both felt very strongly that their version of the same data was correct and the other's was wrong, constantly going back and re-editing each others post again and again).

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have tried a few wiki softwares and non of them had any moderation. But they have something called Recent Changes that show you exactly what was changed and who changed it. Using that it is easy for the rest of the community to se if some one did a change they do not agree upong.

Downloads
    Uploads

MediaWiki

As an administrator on a MediaWiki system (available on Sourceforge) I can
    * ban logins by specific urls or usernames
    * promote other users to admin status
    * "rollback" changes to any pages. This is a lot easier than having to manually edit the pages to undo someone's work.
    * edit the protected pages (like the MainPage, which is the equivalent of index.html)
    * delete pages (users might be able to do this too)
    * look at logs for the above

As an editor on the same system, I can
    * look at RecentChanges
    * edit any page (except the protected ones)
    * upload images (I think, never actually done it)
    * get a list of all the edits done by any editor

The sysop can also set up spam filters to block entire groups of urls from logging in and causing havoc to the system and restrict what edits can be on each page.

Sorontar
    Last edited by Sorontar; 05-11-2006 at 11:46 PM.
    Sorontar
    Information Communication ILLUMINATION!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Wiki software information

Here's a link to the wikipedia page that compares existing wiki software (I hope, looking at a wiki site about wiki software isn't too incestuous in a weird sort of away.) The links to the various sites and other pages also contain some very good material on what sorts of things are available. I particularly like the option of a WYSIWYG ability. If anyone is concerned about getting hardcopies of such material having the ability to format pages to fit standard printouts would be pretty cool....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari..._wiki_software

Gary

Downloads
    Uploads
    I can think of all sorts of things that would be exciting to find here that wouldn't necessarily be "important" enough or in the "scope" of the official pdf files.

As a DM, often I want or need to know things fluffy as the agricultural exports of Aerenwe or a history of the Emperors of Anuire. The wiki would be the place for it it seems.

And as to contribution, I would kind of handle it like how I do things here. I will ask a question or do a search, and if no one has an answer, I will make up one and post or submit it. Along with drawing maps and making images and such.
    Regards,
    Ausrick

Downloads
    Uploads
    It looks like the majority of us would like to see a BRwiki.
    I would like to start planning the implementation and strategy of the wiki. Are there any volunteers that would like to participate in that? preferable with some wiki moderation/implementation experience.
    If you think you want to help on this, send me a PM
    Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.

Quote Originally Posted by Arjan
    If no or other, pls tell us why or what
    I'm more inclined towards a more traditional website than a wiki. Maybe it's just me.

Thread Information