Question Cooperating Regents

Hello, I got a question that we ran into with our regular campaign that we really couldn't find an answer for after picking through the 3/3.5 edition rules.

What would be the best ruling when concerning Regents cooperatively casting in a Domain spell?
    I'd assume the first prerequisites would be the ability to cast either arcane or divine spells, as well as an amount of Ritual Casting.
    Or could a bunch of Regents work together as long as they all have Ritual Casting and assist the original Regent casting the actual spell?
    How would the Regency cost be divided?
    And would they be able to raise the caster-level of the actual spell being cast?

I could see a couple of Regents getting together after a Ley-line has been forced into an opponents Domain and unleashing such a massive Raze that basically devastates the entire Domain it targets, and not just a single type of Fortification.

Our group thought it might be interesting to toss this out on the Birthright forums and see what other players, DM's and the developers have to say about it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The rules don't allow for cooperative casting of realm spells. A source can only be used once in a domain round so this will limit options regardless. This is due the month long casting time which involves getting attuned to the source used to "power" the spell.

The rules also don't allow for temporarily transfering sources or ley lines between regents.

Ritual Casting is an variant system hence the BRCS doesn't address it all. IMO it should not be used for arcane spells since they are basically a lone caster with assistants (basically to handle the expensive material components). It might be viable for divine casting however.

If you really want to do some sort of cooperative effect I would go along this line which parallels the Aid Another actions from the PHB.

Each caster casts a spell (should either be the same spell or a similar one) instead of doing the damage/effect of that spell the caster chooses to aid another caster by either giving him a +2 to the save DC of a realm spell he is casting or a +2 to another effect (spell dependent).
    Duane Eggert

So, technically though, multiple Source Regents could assist one another as long as they have access to their own holdings to draw the power from.

But this would amount to them each casting their own spell in turn. Three regents cooperating in a Raze would not be much different as each casting it at the same target. It would just need some effort of coordination.

Though possibly three regents cooperating with two aiding a third in a Scry Province attempt would be useful, if it is that important that a lot of information is gotten.
    Am I on the correct track here or did I make a wrong conclusion?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Pretty accurate.

Remember it was ony a suggestion.

I myself wouldn't bother with cooperative realm magic - it is far too subject too abuse. Generally each wizard acting independently with a common goal would have a better effect overall. Realm spells are real powerful in and of themselves.

Not very many realms could withstand the onslaught of 3 wizards focusing realm spells on them. But if the province had a Protection from Realm Spells from a high level wizard in effect things are different.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by irdeggman

The rules also don't allow for temporarily transfering sources or ley lines between regents.
    You could in the second edition though and I dont see why it wouldn't be the case in 3rd ed. Maybe it should be added to the sources and magic sections.

As for cooperating on the spell I dont know if it would have much of an effect on a realm spell. Battle spells are another matter often requiring large amounts of materials and people. You could make up rules in your game maybe they each have to cast raze but by cooperating they cast the spells at the same time for a greater effect. Say it is cast on the equinox and they all work up to that it costs the same as if they each did it seperatly at different times but might have a greater effect. Or have them research spells that require more than one wizard , source or leyline. Maybe they have to examine the ancient elven standing stones or other relics that have an effect like a source. Maybe threw this they learn enough that they can cooperate like the elves of old on their magic or can tap into an ancient leyline or caerbhaighlien. Its your game do what works for you.
    MORNINGSTAR

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by graham anderson
    You could in the second edition though and I dont see why it wouldn't be the case in 3rd ed. Maybe it should be added to the sources and magic sections.
    In 2nd ed Cooperative magic was on pg 84 of the Book Of Priescraft and from the AD&D Tome of Magic.

It applied only to priests of the same deity and followed the rules from the ToM. It didn't cover realm magic and did not apply to wizards. Basically it wasn't a BR specific rule and has not been carried over into the 3.5 ruleset, except possibily in some of the spellcasting variants that have been coming out.

This was why I had mentioned possibly via ritualistic magic for divine casters in my earlier post.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    What I mentioned was the temporary transfer of sources in the book of magecraft for 2nd ed which is why I quoted part of your answer.
    MORNINGSTAR

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by graham anderson
    What I mentioned was the temporary transfer of sources in the book of magecraft for 2nd ed which is why I quoted part of your answer.
    That is very true and is something that should be updated with the rest of the chapter.
    Duane Eggert

Thread Information