This thread has been started as an extension to a discussion that began in another thread. The discussion started in the thread titled Brosengaen (and some Taeghan history) under the forum BRCS- Atlas comments/discussion. Forum member Angelbialaska is the one who started the thread.

The discussion turned from the nicely written history of Brosengae/Taeghas to who and what were the Twelve original Duchies. To include some details:

Originally posted by Raesene Andu
I think the best way to resolve the 5 tribes vs. 12 tribes contradiction is to say that there were either five major tribes and 7 minor ones, or that the twelve tribes were loosely organized into five major alliance-groups (each probably named for the leading/largest/most powerful tribe). With such an arraingement it is easy to explain why the earliest documents refer to only 5 tribes when there were actually more than that.

I would nominate the following as candidates for the "major" tribes:
1. "Anwe/Aeloran"
2. Boru
3. Mhora
4. Elaime
5. Deretha

If we want to go with alliange-groups, these might make natural groupings:

1. Anwe, Gehaiste, Bheallach
2. Boru, Duireina, Brosen
3. Mhora, Elin
4. Elaime, Carel
5. Deretha, Aeren

And for those who were wondering.

Anwe = Avanil
Gehaiste = Ghieste
Bheallach = Dhalaene
Boru = Boeruine
Duireina = Osoerde
Brosen = Taeghas
Mhora = Mhoried
Elin = Elinie
Elamie = Alamie
Carel = Cariele
Deretha = Diemed
Aeren = Aerenwe
Originally posted by Angelbialaska
Where is it mentioned that Ghieste was one of the original duchies? We just know that there was a duchy within the area of Ghoere, but that could as easily be Bhalaene as Ghieste.

And why do everybody want 2 duchies in Ghoere? Ruins of Empire states that it was one and it even names the remaining 11 duchies. Does this mean that there was 13 duchies?
Originally posted by Raesene Andu
There were two duchies within the borders of Ghoere, Ghieste and Bhalaene. Ghoere was formed from both, which is what makes it such a powerful realm.
Originally posted by The incredible, edible Phil
There were 12 duchies. Offhand they are:

Aerenwe
Alamie
Avanil
Bhalaene/now part of Ghoere
Boeruine
Cariele/ruling family moved to Coeranys
Diemed
Elinie
Ghieste/now part of Ghoere
Mhoried
Osoerde
Taeghas/Brosengae
Originally posted by Angelbialaska
The Atlas in the boxed sets mentions 12 duchies too. These are:

Aerenwe
Alamie
Avanil
Boeruine
Cariele (Ruling family relocated to Coeranys)
Diemed
Elinie
Mhoried
Osoerde
Taeghas (Ruling family in Brosengae?)
Talinie
And one more Duchy which was located in what is now Ghoere.
Originally posted by Thorogood Roele
There is a map in the Novel "Iron Throne" that indicates the 12 duchies, in that Ghieste and Dhalaene are included.

Here they are according to that novel
Avanil, Taeghas, Boeruine, Alamie, Mhoried, Cariele, Elinie, Osoerde, Aerenwe, Dhalaene (part of ghoere), Ghieste and Diemed. It lists border nations as the following: Mieres, brosengae talinie the five peaks thurazor dhosone tuarhieval the gorgons crown murkilad markazor the sielewode coeranys.
I hope these are enough details to place the discussion in context. There seems to be conflicts as to who were the original Twelve Duchies. I'm not the only one who's trying to build a campaign, yet continuously being tripped up by what the "official" answers are.

To further bolster what Angelbialaska is leading on to, I have found the exact page in the original 2nd Edition Birthright Campaign Setting material that mentions who the Twelve Duchies were.

From the Birthright Campaign Setting boxed set, Book I, Atlas of Cerilia, I quote from p. 17, paragraph 5:
The former Empire was once made up of the Twelve Duchies of Anuire plus the lands conquered by the Roeles then. Today, eleven of the twelve realms still exist (in addition to younger Anuirean kingdoms): Boeruine, Mhoried, Diemed, Avanil, Alamie, Aerenwe, Elinie, Talinie, Taeghas, Osoerde, and Cariele. The lands that are currently controlled by Ghoere were also among the Twelve, but that name is of recent vintage.
Thus, are the Birthright Developers going to change this? Are they altering this original list so that two countries within Ghoere could have been part of the Twelve? As I said in the other thread, I greatly admire the work Bloodsilver.com did with Ghoere's history, but does that mean the Birthright Developers have decided to go with what Bloodsilver.com wrote? What's wrong with the idea that either Ghieste or Bhalaene was one of the Twelve, and the other was one of the lesser houses? That idea would seem to fit in with the original 2nd Edition Birthright Campaign Setting, and would not effect what Bloodsilver.com wrote too much. I am just suggesting some ideas, that's all. I am not sure how I am going to resolve this for my own campaign, yet.

So, I ask the Birthright Developers plainly, what is the "official" answer to this conflict? If you've already answered it somewhere on Birthright.net, please point me in the right direction. Or, am I yelling into the wind?

I greatly appreciate your knowledge on this.

Thanks,
LaeAndril Rayn