Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rome!

Rome!

Ok, I don't know what other forum to put this into so here it is.

Does anyone have a good d20 suppliment that they like to use for running a Roman RPG? I figure with Birthright, someone else has had to have thought about this?

Downloads
    Uploads
    you are right
    Birthright is your solution my friend
    i worked on a antic campain for birthright for 3 years now
    it is perfect
    simply turn the gold bars into copper bars and reduce rule book prices to copper instead of GP.
    it is a great game you look forward
    i would like to play
    lol
    but im stucked in Canada
    lol

Birthright is THE game for the real players...

Downloads
    Uploads
    lol
    the best woould be on Djapar

Birthright is THE game for the real players...

Downloads
    Uploads
    There used to be an old AD&D suppliment, I think it was "The Glory of Rome campaign suppliment". It was great fun from what I remember, but I let a friend borrow it back in the 90's and that was the last of that.

http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=5165& Green Ronin publishing has a d20 campaign setting called Eternal Rome. I haven't actually read it, but from what it is supposed to include it sounds like a good book. They also have a book called "Testament", and "Trojan War" that sound good if you want to go even further back into ancient times.

I've often thought of running a BR campaign set back before the days of Michael Roele and giving it a strong ancient world feel, but when I look at a lot of the documents pertaining to Cerilia in the 0-1000 HC days, it doesn't seem to have that much of and ancient world feel from what I could tell.

If any one else has happened to buy any of these books and could talk about them, it would be good to hear.
    Regards,
    Ausrick

Downloads
    Uploads

Glory of Rome

I have the Glory of ROme supplement and have played it.

I did not acutally create d20 rules for the game but I did use the chariot feats from sword and fist with the gladiator games in my campaign.

If you have any questions, I can try to help you with them.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I picked up Testament at a bargain price a while back.

I'd reccomend it for players interested in playing inancient times - be that on Earth or Aebrynis. It even has a fairly simple, but useable mass combat system. In many ways the setting reminds me a bit of BR - there is great focus on different cultures and the conflicts between them, battles and nations etc.
    Cheers
    Bjørn
    DM of Ruins of Empire II PbeM

Isn't the Glory of Rome suppliment a d20 3.5 game?

Does it go into good depth about the military units of Empiral Rome? Can you give me a quick review on what it includes and your thoughts on it please, stv2brown? I'd appriciate it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Glory of Rome

It's a 2nd edition game with chapters covering the following: Intro, history of Rome, characters, magic and religion, armies and enemies, The Games (gladiator and chariot racing), Roman culture, and a gaxetteer of the Roman world. I bought it online for just a couple of bucks and it's worth it for the games section alone.

We only played it 3-4 times because my players didn't like the fact that the only race is human and it's a very low magic setting. Also it has the politics of the Roman senate built into it, which I liked a great deal but the world felt a little flat, since I don't have much background information to help make the politics work.

Your idea for including into a Birthright setting I like alot. I'd be willing to help you with this if you'd want. Did you have any particular area in mind to setup a Roman type empire?

Avanil really always struck me as just the perfect place to do it. If the proper political background took place, then a senate type leadership could come up there and begin rebuilding the empire. This is just in the brainstorming stages really, but it strikes me as the place to run with it.

Also I have thought about maybe starting our game a little after the Senate is in power and such. I have to admit the books by Conn Iggulden have an influence on my thoughts, it really gives a decent feel for what it would be like in the Empire at the time.

Downloads
    Uploads

Avanil as the setting

Isn't the imperial city close to avanil? If it is then that would make the perfect Rome (city). Maybe the senate came to power in the imperial city and the prince of avanil is the first monarch to adapt to the new system of government. This would spite the arch duke of bourine (?) who couldn't join the senate now because he would feel like a come-lately.

Or the senate starts in Avanil and the imperial city, seeing a way out of centuries of feudalism and warfare decide to join in. Either way the prince of avanil now becomes a senator and can begin changing local governments from feudalism to a republic. Imagine the apprehension of neighboring domains at the tought of giving the commoners a say in how they are ruled.

Thread Information