Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Swordhawk

Downloads
    Uploads
    These are the stats I'm using in a certain PBem where I'm playing our friend Karl Bissel, would you suggest any adjustments?

Karl Bissel, The Swordhawk
    Ruler of Massenmarch
    Large Awnsheghlien (Humanoid)
    Fighter 18

Hit Dice: 18d10 (172 hp)
    Initiative: +16
    Speed: 55 ft (110 item); Fly 60 ft (Average)
    Armor Class: 30
    Attacks: (Large Sabre +1) +24/+19/+14/+9; (Dagger + 3) +24/+19; (Beak) +18
    Damage: Sabre 1d8+8, Dagger 1d4+8, Beak 1d8+5

Special Attacks: -
    Special Qualities:
    Human (Brecht) Qualities
    Su- Voice of the Raptor
    Su- Immunity
    Ex- Heightened Vision

Blood Abilities:
    Minor - Alertness
    Minor - Heightened Ability
    Major - Detect Life
    Major - Bloodform
    Great - Berserker's Blood

Spell Resistance: 17
    Alignment: Chaotic Evil
    Str: 20
    Dex: 24
    Con: 12
    Int: 19
    Wis: 10
    Cha: 13
    Bloodline: Azrai, Major 39 (20)
    Fort: +12
    Refl: +16
    Will: +6

Speak/Read/Write: Anuirean, Low Brecht, High Brecht, Vos

Strategy +19, Hide +19, Move Silently +29, Jump +17, Disguise +18, Spot +29, Listen +22, Intimidate +18, Handle Animal +7, Tumble +15, Climb +9

Dodge, Improved Initiative, Skill Focus (Move Silently), Skill Focus (Hide), Expertise, Mobility, Lightning Reflexes, Alertness, Two-Weapon Fighting, Spring Attack, Weapon Focus (Sabre), Ambidexterity, Weapon Specialization (Sabre), Whirlwind Attack, Military Commander, Combat Reflexes, Improved Critical (Sabre), Improved Two-Weapon Fighting

Silent Full Plate +3 of Spell Resistance, Heart Spike (Dagger +3 Life Stealer), Ring of Evasion, Boots of Striding and Springing

The Swordhawk is the ultimate predator. He has been transformed into an eight foot winged humanoid monster. Originally one of the Gorgon's favored assassins, he slew the ruling family of Massenmarch and took its rulership, after his participation in the destruction of Kiergard. However, while he is very cunning and scheming, he is prone to rages of irrational violence that have been detrimental to many of his long-term plans.

Karl Bissel towers over most men, at over 8 ft. He has large black feathered wings and his head is that of a large black hawk, though he still communicates as well as he ever did. Wearing special silver and black armor crafted to fit his body, he is dreadfully impressive to behold and screeches can often be heard from him while hunting, especially in the mountains of Massenhode. His prefered prey is blooded adventurers, though he'll settle for large game.

In combat, Karl prefers ambushes conducted as surprise diving attacks (charge). He uses his superior speed and skill to the greatest advantage, often employing hit-and-run techniques against multiple foes that could harm him. He wields a large sabre +1 and uses his beak in combat, however his most deadly weapon is his dagger. The dagger, Heart Spike, is what he always makes his killing blow with, often much sooner than the victim expects. It acts as a nine-lives stealer (no charges) when struck through the heart. He suspects that his treasure is storing extra bloodline strength that he steals with it, though he's not sure what this means or how to access it.

(Su) Immunity - Due to his light and flexible bone structure, he has a damage resistance (-/4). In addition, he recieved his name from his immunity to slashing weapons. All slashing weapons are considered blunt weapons for any and all purposes, and they only deal half damage.

(Su) Voice of the Raptor - each part described below
    (Sp) Avian Friendship - Works just as with the spell, except it applies to any avian animals, but only avians. Useable at will.

(Su) Avian Tongues - He can understand and speak with any bird or bird-like creatures (i.e. Aarakocra).

(Ex) Avian Charisma - His interaction with avian creatures
    is considered blessed and he is revered by these creatures. He is considered to have a +10 Cha when dealing with Avians and their kin.

(Su) Avian Commander - Animal avians under the friendship spell consider his voice similar to the Command spell, and can understand and carry out complex tasks in this manner, with a limit of 15 words length. This is always active and has unlimited duration if neccesary.

(Su) Avian Lord - Intelligent avians and avian-kin consider his voice equal to a suggestion spell, and are loath to defy him. This is always active and has unlimited duration if neccesary.

------------------------------------------------------------------

This is how I've developed him. I personally think he is a little weak, not too weak, but a little weak. He would still be very difficult to kill, but he seems particularly vulnerable to spells that require Will saves. Besides his Will save, I think his magical items are a little low end for being an 18th level fighter, even in Birthright. Other than that, I like him. Does he need more description or anything else?
    Explain how this is a signature, its not my handwriting.

The hardest part was teaching the bunnies to hug. -Duke Phillips

Downloads
    Uploads
    Why make such a low modifier to his will save rolls? What is the explanation for that? I might make it higher to make it a little bit harder to defeat him. Or consider adding a magic resistance.

If he is ruler, his charisma seems awfully low but that is minor.

Great job otherwise thanks for taking the time to put it together. Have you thought about posting it in the Writers Guild?
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the
    United Provinces of Cerilia
    "May Haelyn bring justice to your realm"

Downloads
    Uploads
    The reason his Will saves are so low is because I created him as a character, then added a template that was approved by the DM in a pbem. I'll increase it a bit.

I could increase his Charisma a bit as well, it should be a bit higher in my opinion, anyway.

Plan on seeing this in the writer's guild soon.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks Gargamel, nice job.
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the
    United Provinces of Cerilia
    "May Haelyn bring justice to your realm"

Downloads
    Uploads
    And, The Swordhawk has been posted, I hope his modifications are enough.

Downloads
    Uploads
    First, its one of the better Awnshegh's I've seen created, but I hate that you gave in to the interuptation that he wasn't strong enough in his originally posted form. Especially since he has a base land speed of 55!?!? He also has been ruling for over 200 years, thus he should have the long life blood ability.

BTW: I've sent you a message Arch-Sorcerer Gargamel.

Downloads
    Uploads
    True, his speed is the main factor in his deadliness. If he's hunting for you, you aren't getting away. But if somebody got of one good spell that would require a will save, he didn't have much of a chance.

I wasn't sure if Awnshegh needed the Long Life blood ability to live for a long time, I don't believe the Spider has this ability, and he's been around since Deismaar. I was under the belief that Awnshegh didn't age like other creatures, because many of the Awnshegh have been around for hundreds of years, even without the long-life ability, and don't seem to be getting older. Just my interpretation, I guess.

the charisma adjustment was more of a rulership thing, than a power thing.

Another thing is, I haven't been able to edit the post to the writer's guild, even though I should own it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think you did an excellent job on his profile.

Well Done!
    This is an adventure dammit! I expect to be rewarded for acts of homicide!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well slade, who wrote Blood Enemies, clearly had no idea what Birthright was about. So you have to take the awnshegh in the book with a grain of salt. That's part of the reason I'm writing a document on awnshegh now. Should be done be with the first draft by the end of the week. With accidental luck, the Spider does happen to have the long life ability at great.

I thought him being an 18th level fighter would be deadly. As for his speed, would not his ability to fly at 60 be deadly enough? Why would being a high level fighter awnshegh necessarily improve his will save?

I'm not being critical. Just a few issues. I do like the overall job.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm not taking offense, I'm just reasoning my decisions. He is quite deadly, but I believe that certain weaknesses can harm a character's overall effectiveness, possibly to the point of nullifying him. Being an 18th level fighter wouldn't give him a better will save, being an awnshegh would enhance his saves.

Thanks for the complements and commentary. I really enjoy creating interesting characters.

Thread Information