Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What's canon regarding Aduria?

Hey gang,

Just updating my Aduria section for my campaign sourcebook. What do have for canon regarding this continent?

Is most of the stuff we have from Ian and others here? Or did Rich Baker have some lost files that filled in most of the blanks that we have...?

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by masterdaorin View Post
    Hey gang,

Just updating my Aduria section for my campaign sourcebook. What do have for canon regarding this continent?

Is most of the stuff we have from Ian and others here? Or did Rich Baker have some lost files that filled in most of the blanks that we have...?
    That's a good question. To my knowledge, the only thing official is what was in the original Boxed set: the small piece of geography across the Straights of Aerele. I don't offhand know of any supplements that have more about it. (That said, i don't have all supplements.)

The novel Greatheart has a chapter that is set way in the past (before Deismaar) in Aduria, which can give some clues as to what is there.

-Fizz
    Last edited by Fizz; 04-09-2022 at 06:39 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    There is a little about the Yakmen and their Yikarian Empire. There are references somewhere I think to the beastmen. There is a conceptual map of Aduria (from one of the key BR designers) but little was marked on it other than the Anuirean "colonies". I'll look for more later.

Sorontar
    Sorontar
    Information Communication ILLUMINATION!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you read the wiki page about Aduria, it links to the discussions about the "official" and "editted" maps of Aduria

Looking at the original Dragon article about the Yikarian Empire "The Roof of the World", I would place it on and west of the mountain range that the Aduria map labels as the Mountain States.

I am not sure whether the Anuirean colonies in northern Aduria even got any canon details or history to them.

Sorontar
    Sorontar

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    From where did this notion of Aduria having Yak-Men and the Yikarian empire come? The Yak-men, Yikaria, etc are all from the Al-Qadim setting (which in turn is part of Forgotten Realms, not Birthright).

So somewhere along the line, it seems someone moved Yak-men / Yikaria etc as part of Aduria. Nothing wrong with that per se, but it can't be considered canon, can it?

How did this crossover to the Birthright wiki happen?

-Fizz

Downloads
    Uploads
    The article from Dragon #251 that describes the Yikarian Empire places it in various campaign settings, including Birthright.

The relevant bits are on the Internet Archive:

https://ia800907.us.archive.org/Book...ale=8&rotate=0

https://ia800907.us.archive.org/Book...ale=8&rotate=0

For the Br wiki, I have taken that as canon as they are from Dragon and rewritten it and the rest of the article.

Sorontar
    Sorontar

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorontar View Post
    The article from Dragon #251 that describes the Yikarian Empire places it in various campaign settings, including Birthright.

For the Br wiki, I have taken that as canon as they are from Dragon and rewritten it and the rest of the article.
    Interesting. I only knew the Yak-men from Al-Qadim, and wasn't aware they had made adaptions for various worlds. I just found the complete article online- that is a keeper.

Now, in Al-Qadim, the yikaria could command dao (earth genies) as the result of an ancient pact (or something like that, can't quire recall). That aspect feels a bit out of place to me, but of course Dao are not at all common (at least not on Cerilia). Either way, a good reason to not migrate back to Aduria.

-Fizz
    Last edited by Fizz; 04-17-2022 at 10:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fizz View Post
    The novel Greatheart has a chapter that is set way in the past (before Deismaar) in Aduria, which can give some clues as to what is there.

-Fizz
    Cool - any idea, offhand, which chapter? Save me some time...

If you read the wiki page about Aduria, it links to the discussions about the "official" and "editted" maps of Aduria

Looking at the original Dragon article about the Yikarian Empire "The Roof of the World", I would place it on and west of the mountain range that the Aduria map labels as the Mountain States.

I am not sure whether the Anuirean colonies in northern Aduria even got any canon details or history to them.

Sorontar
    Actually, after I perused the article in Dragon #241, my first gut instinct was to place the Yikarian Empire in the Sere Coast (specifically, in the mountain chunk within the south of that area demarcated on Ian's map - it looks close to the map in the article). And I'm going to amalgamate that with the "Beastlands" chunk (and Nehalim will claim the southern plains/jungles of within the Beastlands area on Ian's map).

I'm going to make the beastmen referenced in the canon source material (I think the Atlas mentions them) and retcon them to be Yak-men. And, also, that Yak-men are minotaurs (that way, I don't have to create a whole new race).

Some scholars wonder if they were one of Azrai's beast-men but the yikaria actually evolved from an Adurian awnshegh. Their shape was originally the consequence of a blood form, but is now regarded as an inbred nature rather than a blood ability.
    I also think I'm going to retcon this idea and change that awnshegh to be one of the Lost. I'll have to reread the Yikaria article in more depth first, before I commit to this change, however....

I think it fits well... anyone see any problems with that fix?
    Last edited by masterdaorin; 04-19-2022 at 03:26 PM.

Sorontar
    Where is that article that you have rewritten? Any major changes from the source material? (Is that the same article I just quoted from in the above post)?
    Last edited by masterdaorin; 04-19-2022 at 03:31 PM.

Thread Information