Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Informing readers about the BRCS errata

The BRCS errata page (http://www.birthright.net/forums/sho...le=BRCS:Errata) is designed to help us know what errors and inconsistencies exist in the BRCS, should further revisions ever occur (unlikely). This is especially important where some chapters have been updated for D&D 3.5e and others are still D&D 3e. Since the br.net policy has always been to make sure that the BRCS pdf and wiki match each other, we can't simply fix the BRCS wiki pages. Hence, the errata pages can also inform readers about what needs fixing.

The problem is how to inform readers that the errata page exists. Currently, the link to the errata page is found on the main portal page for the BRCS wiki pages - http://www.birthright.net/forums/sho...BRCS:Main_Page . However, that is 1) not easy to get to from the front webpage for br.net, and 2) not necessary to visit in order to get to BRCS wiki pages.

So, how can we make it more obvious to readers that the errata page exists?

• Comments and link at the top of all BRCS pages?
    • Link on the BRCS box template?
    • Link at the bottom of all BRCS pages?
    • Link at the bottom of the intro/index pages for all BRCS chapters?
    • More links throughout the wiki, like the front page?
    • Something else?

Sorontar
    Last edited by Sorontar; 07-18-2021 at 11:23 AM. Reason: add link

It sure is hard to find the errata page on the main wiki. It is for me, at least.
    Maybe a small banner would catch the eye:

This Page contains errata

Check out the Errata page for more info.

Also, some info on "why we can't just change the wiki" would be nice.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks Witness3. That certainly is another very good possibility. Any other suggestions from anyone?

Sorontar
    Sorontar
    Information Communication ILLUMINATION!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorontar View Post
    Any other suggestions from anyone?
    Sorontar
    Do we have a BRCS that is edited and updated with these errata fixes? That would be the most useful thing to me a user. The pdf's can always keep records of the original, but publishers publish updated versions because it's a thousand times more user friendly than a list of error corrections they wished they made (errata).

So that would be my wish. Integrate the errata into an up to date version on the wiki and pdf, if there is still enough value to users in doing so (it's always hard to know what value there is in building more on a past edition of a game)..

Downloads
    Uploads
    The current BRCS pdf
    - has chapters that have not been updated from D&D 3e > 3.5e
    - has the errors identified in the errata page

There have been no efforts that I know of by the Br.net community at this stage to revise the pdf to account for these tasks. This is why the errata page is vital.

Sorontar
    Sorontar

Downloads
    Uploads
    Do we have the word files or just the pdf's? If we have the word files we could start updating them, might take a while (RL has me pounded for at least the next 1-2 yrs) but we'd get there in the end.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTall View Post
    Do we have the word files or just the pdf's? If we have the word files we could start updating them, might take a while (RL has me pounded for at least the next 1-2 yrs) but we'd get there in the end.
    I just checked my hard drive, and I still have downloaded copies of the BRCS Ch 1-9 as 9 individual word files.

Is there a place / way I could post them for sharing?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
    I just checked my hard drive, and I still have downloaded copies of the BRCS Ch 1-9 as 9 individual word files.

Is there a place / way I could post them for sharing?
    We can include them in the downloads. They would certainly help any future edits/extracts by the community.

Presently, the BRCS and its individual chapters are in Downloads as a tar file, which expands to pdf files (not sure why they are tar files). I suspect that we are using pdf because originally it had the advantages that 1) its harder to edit (so we remain in control of the content of any BRCS file that is shared by anyone), and 2) it is less susceptible to requiring readers to have a particular version of MS Word. PDF files aren't machine-readable but the wiki gets around that - so if people want to be able to write scripts to gather BR data/tables etc, they can do it from the wiki.

Sorontar
    Last edited by Sorontar; 07-30-2021 at 10:10 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am missing Chapter 8 for some unknown reason, grrr... Anybody else have a copy?

These are pretty old files, I am not sure if they are completely up-to-date on 3.5 conversions although I think chapters 1 and 2 are (?). I believe I got these from Duane at some point when working on parts of the chapters for revision.
    They are Word 95 files, OpenOffice or any current version of Word will read them fine.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you Osprey. I will be modifying some of the descriptions/filenames today to try to make it clearer what versions everything is of all the BRCS files in Downloads. Looking at the birthright BRCS 3ed and chapters, it seems that we have:
    • 58876-birthright-3ed-revision: All chapters D&D 3ed, tar file for pdf file
    • 61441-chap-1: one BRCS chapter, D&D 3.5ed, tar file for pdf file
    • 3.5 BRCS Ch 1 Word: one BRCS chapter, D&D 3.5 ed, Microsoft Word 97 - 2004 file

The Word and PDF versions of the single chapters seem to be the same, but they are different to the Complete PDF file. Memory tells me that this is because we have converted Ch 1-6 to D&D 3.5ed, but not Ch 7-9. Those chapters were seen as less vital to convert because they did not set down the core elements required to run a Birthright adventure or campaign.

The introduction is only available in the Complete 3ed file.

Sorontar
    ps. Checked ch1 and ch5, and they both seem the same in PDF and Word formats.
    Last edited by Sorontar; 07-31-2021 at 02:33 AM. Reason: as postscript
    Sorontar

Thread Information