Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best pbem ever!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes its the same ROE but you cant please everyone the biggest problem and it did become a major problem was that the DM's had terrible email addresses that didn't seam able to get emails from anything. They insist that others change their email addresses but still cant get the emails and do nothing about what was a problem with their email adresses to begin with.

Nor am I the only one that has had trouble there. With the emails and the organisation. They were having some problems themselves when I played so maybe my view is a little skewed and when they are firing on all cilinders they might be better. They still realy realy need to get half decent email accounts though if they havn't already.

I felt that I should point out that not everyone thinks it is the best game.

They still get a lot of respect for keeping it running for so long though.
    MORNINGSTAR

Downloads
    Uploads
    Having been lurking in RoE for a while, I'll toss my 12.387 cents in.

The rules are complicated. The rulebook for RoE is 255 pages long (give or take a couple depending on formatting).

There are additional holdings: manors, trade. These add a variety of realism to the game.

Each realm has goals, a major one and several minor ones. Ignoring these goals causes bad things to happen. Succeeding in a goal has good things happen. You don't have to work only towards your goals.

If you expect to muster up massive armies and go a conquering real fast, as in some other games, forget it. It won't happen.

The game is more focused on people interacting. Slow, steady forces of change are more likely to succeed than sudden, powerful ones. I think it's a lot more like real world geopolitical/economics in this regard.

The game is about long term planning, not short term returns. The game is in turn 47, and most of the original realms are still there. Don't expect to join up and forge an empire very fast. If you are burning too bright, everyone will join forces against you.

I think RoE is a pretty realistic simulation of a fantasy world. My only, short attempt to actually play in it was disastrously aborted, and so I am still a lurker. It isn't for everyone, that is for sure.

My personal favorite game was run by Ian Hoskins (not his last one, the one before, that lasted a long time), the name of which I can't remember.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hoskins is a good Gm I can agree their,

I mgiht be a little unfair to ROE as I said they seem to have some good idea's and real dedication but there was a lot of problems when I was their, they were trying to decide what direction to take the game they were busy in real life, I was busy in real life and it was near impossible to play with there bad email addresses so it could take ages to get through to them if you did. You couldn't plan anything , didn't know if they had your emails or if it had been filtered into spam.

Does anyone know if their email addresses are OK now or still the ones they used to have.

It just wasn't workable for me unless they got new emails which they didn't seem to want to do even though I was certainly not the only one to have trouble with their accounts.

If they had things sorted and I had more time I might be even be willing to give it another go but they need to get a few things sorted from the last time I played (THE EMAIL ACCOUNTS).
    MORNINGSTAR

Downloads
    Uploads
    Co DM Even is a gmail account currently, and DM Bjorn is at the webserver that hosts the RoE Website, so depending on the dependability of their mail server. . . He hasn't seemed to lose any of my messages since I've been playing. But you are 100% right Graham in that it would be frustrating if not impossible to play a PBEM game if you EM didn't work right. Because then its just a PB??
    Regards,
    Ausrick

Downloads
    Uploads
    I dont think they had a G mail account before but it sounds like the other email might be the same.
    MORNINGSTAR

Downloads
    Uploads
    twilightpeaks.net
    Regards,
    Ausrick

Downloads
    Uploads
    Graham is correct in that there were some issues back then.

The real problem was that mine/Even's c2i (Local ISP) account didn't work well with Yahoo!. But that is very old news now. Even is a gmail, and I have a new one at the webserver.
    Cheers
    Bjørn
    DM of Ruins of Empire II PbeM

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok thats good to hear but you had some trouble with my G mail account too.

Good to know that there are new emails.
    MORNINGSTAR

Thread Information