Thread: Running Alamie

Downloads
    Uploads

Running Alamie

My current realm:

THE DUCHY OF ALAMIE (as of 552 M.R.)

Monarch: Blaede Stiele-Alam (LE MAn F7 Kit: Warrior-King, Az 51: Major Resistance, Magic 25% - minor, Iron Will - minor, Battlewise - Major, Major Resistance, Non-Magical 50% - Major, Invulnerability - Great, Regeneration - Great)
    Proficiences: Leadership, Siegecraft, Strategy, Endurance, Riding (horse), Administration, Law, Intrigue
    Items of Note: wears Full Plate armor, “A Dark Word” is a Bastard Sword +2 of Life Stealing, “Rampart” is a Large Shield +3, “Lavalier’s Feet” are Boots of Speed, “Nightshade” is an Amulet vs. Detection and Location, well hidden by his mother is “Heart Reaver” the tighmaevril spear +5

Population: 79,000+/- (96% Human, 2% Halfling, 1% Goblin, 1% all others)

Kingdom Notes:

1.Duke Alam’s mother, The Black Princess, resides in the Fortress of Sorentier where she maintains her “court” currently. She is the defacto “Court Wizard” of the Duchy of Alamie now; but none know her true identity save her son and his immediate Lieutenants.
    2.The Western Imperial Temple of Haelyn is the State Religion (meaning Ally of the Duke). The Duke gives support to actions taken by the WIT in return for 2GB each turn.
    3.Endier’s Guilder Kalien and Duke Alam have an agreement: Kalien has support of the Duke in Guild Matters and Kalien pays Alamie 2GB each turn.
    4.Ghorien Hiriele has agreed to play licensing fees for his business interests in Alamie that amount to only 1GB each turn; though he offered more for Favored Status the Duke declined.
    5.Mheallie Bireon is currently attempting to bribe the Duke for Favored Status, but he only accepts 1GB at this time for licensing fees.
    6.The Celestial Jewel of Saramie must pay “Land Licenses” to be allowed to remain in the Duchy amounting to 2GB each turn, or the Duke has sworn their temples will be burned.

Lieutenants:

“Lord” Skalz (MGob Ftr 6, unblooded) is the general of Alamie’s goblin mercenary forces. He resides in a “ready camp” outside the walls of Sorentier

The Black Princess (FAwn F10/W10, Az 56: Enhanced Sense, Heightened Ability, Battlewise, Poison Sense, Iron Will, Charm Aura - Great, Travel, Long Life - Great)
    Spells: 1st: Charm Person, Hypnotism, Phantasmal Force, Rain of Magic Missiles 2nd: Detect Invisibility, First Strike, Invisibility, Rolling Fire 3rd: Dispel Magic, Lightning Bolt, Monster Unit Summoning I 4th: Minor Globe of Invulnerability, Polymorph Self 5th: Animate Dead Army, Domination
    Realm Spells Known: Dispel Realm Magic, Legion of Dead, Scry, Subversion, Summoning

Ruormad (MAn F3/T5, unblooded) is the Duke’s “firm hand” in places that the Duke can’t always be: alleyways, taverns and other secretive places. A former brigand, Ruormad owes the Duke a life-debt and so if the Duke needs a “thing” done he turns to this man to do the dirty work.

Henchmen:

Caern (M1/2Ogre Ftr 5, unblooded) is the Duke’s personal bodyguard and childhood friend. Standing 7’9” tall he is a terrifying sight on the battlefield in his full plate armor wielding his wicked two-handed sword.

Halmied (MAn C6 of Haelyn, unblooded) is the Duke’s spiritual advisor from the Western Imperial Temple. His “functional role” is to disrupt enemy magic for the Duke and support the Duke’s efforts. He attends the Duke’s court at all times.
    Spells: 1st: Bless, Command, Cure Light Wounds x2, Light 2nd: Aid, Augury, Hold Person, Silence 15’ Radius, Spiritual Hammer 3rd: Dispel Magic, Prayer

Tannen (MAn M7, unblooded) is the Duke’s Seer. He always has at the ready spells for Blaede to be able to view parts of his realm or his agents (Magic Mirro & Clairaudience). It is also Tannen’s job to protect with invisibility if there is a need to leave a situation. Tannen also possesses a Wand of Enemy Detection he uses at court to ensure that noen get close to his friend the Duke.
    Spells: 1st: Charm Person, Detect Magic, Magic Missile, Know Cerilian Origin, Sleep 2nd: Detect Invisibility, First Strike, Invisibility, Web 3rd: Wraithform, Spectral Force, Clairaudience 4th: Magic Mirror, Phantasmal Killer

Recent History: The Duchy of Alamie suffered for long decades under the inept rule of Alam after Alam. Those Alams who were of some capability were usually chased out or even outright killed by resentful rulers who feared their own family. Even Carilon Alam, the previous Duke, was an inept and vain ruler. He put fear in the heart of his only two cousins and even his own daughter. He never knew that the woman that had seduced him at court in 528 M.R. later bore a child she named Blaede and hid him in the north of Alamie. He never knew that the man became a Knight in his own realm and would later replace him.

Blaede “Stiele” became a Knight in Alamie within the land of his birth (raised by a minor noble under the influence of Blaede’s mother); but left shortly after and served as a Hedge Knight within the land of Endier. He adventured on behalf of both Guilder Kalien and Caine the Wizard many times; neither knowing of his origina as the son of The Black Princess and the Duke of Alamie. He later returned to Sorentier and then into the Five Peaks on more adventures. Only a year ago he was introduced to Duke Carilon while the Duke was reviewing “his” knights in Sorentier. It was too late then as Blaede had been raised to the command of the entire fortress and the knights were loyal to him. The Black Princess gave Duke Alam a chance to step aside, but all knew he would not. “Prince” Blaede chased his own father to the capital and stormed the castle with the knights and on the wall slew his own father in single combat. The new Duke also put to the sword his two cousins and even his half-sister who had attempted to enspell him.

Over the last year, the new “Bastard Duke” has moved quickly to establish his full control over the land. He has established a strong relationship with Carilon Alam’s former foe Guilder Kalien. The two men, while not open allies, obviously favor each other in matters. Duke Blaede has made himself useful tot he Mhor as well, despite their ethical differences. He pays for a unit of the Mhor’s Archers and has said any attack on Mhoried from the Gorgon’s forces will bring the full forces of Duke Blaede to the Mhor’s side. He has made overtures of peace to the Duchess of Tuornen and offered support against Rhoubhe; but has been politely refused. Militarily, the Duke has strengthened the defenses of his land to levels unknown in decades by using his adventuring fortune, the treasury of his father and the unknown riches of his mother to supplement the taxes he collects. Alamie has quickly become a strong military state with a firm but well liked ruler. None should mistake him for kind however; he personally performs executions of “criminals” in Lofton.

Description: Alamie is a farming land. Field after field of cropland and pastures are what will meet the eye in all parts of ajourney through the land. Only within Hildon and Sorelies will hills begin to form and turn into highlands moving intothe lands of Tuornen and the Five Peaks. In Nortmoor and Soutmoor the land is still primarily flat, but the land turns into stretches of moorland, especially near the Stonebryrn River; thus the names of these two moor provinces where sheep and goats will be found more often than cattle. Hildon and Sorelies also have many more sheep than cattle; though in all four northern provinces the population is slight and so wool produced here is a resource full absorbed in Alamie if not locally.

Along the Tuor and Maesil rivers are many fishing villages that also boast many farms. Fish isn’t a favorite food in the land of Alamie; but salted fish is often traded abroad. Along the Stonebyrn river are no true fishermen as the waters move more rapidly and afford little purchase of stability for fishermen’s boats. In the province of Laraeth are many peat harvesting fields in and around the Riverport Marsh where some few isolated steadings can be found; but toward the west the commonly viewed fields and pastures will again be found in plenty.

Despite its central location in Anuire, Alamie is a near backwater realm. With a light population compared to neighboring realms (Ghoere 200,000+, Mhoried 125,000+, and Tuornen 85,000+) Alamie has rarely been a place others wanted to go to settle since the collapse of the Empire. Even Tuornen, often attacked by The Manslayer, has a higher population! In fact, the one province realm of Endier has over half the population of all of Alamie. The reason has been simple since the civil war which lost Alamie the entire land of Tuornen: the rulers of Alamie are often reprehensible and without redeeming qualities. Alamie, having become feckless militarily and its rulers turning their anger against their own people makes for a realm that few want to live within.

For now, the Duchy seems much the same; with only the outward sign of change being increased military patrols in all parts of the land and in the north the burning fires of goblin mercenary camps along the border with the Five Peaks. No successful raid has been launched into Alamie in the past year; and in fact several bandit camps across the border have instead been put to the torch. It would seem the new Duke wishes to build Alamie into a warrior realm, and is starting in the north to obtain the training and experience needed to do so.

Military Size: 2,400 Anuireans Standing (3.0% of population)
    800 Goblin Mercenaries (1% of population)

The Duke’s military consists of 400 Heavy Cavalry (Knights, Squires and Men-at-Arms) which are the backbone of his current military strength. These worthies are supported by pikemen who stave off charges; but the working force fo the Duchy are the now renowned Alamiean Longbowmen. Not only do they wield their longbows as well as any other Anuirean; they are armored in full chainmail with a solid infantry shield and armed with both broadsword and hand-axe. The axe, while a good backup weapon, is primarily used for creating lines of wooden spikes to place against cavalry charges and, in conjunction with the iron spade each man carries, enables them to hastily build substantial defense against cavalry consisting of the aforementioned caltrops as well as broken ground filled with holes which deter cavalry as well. The two units of scouts the Duke maintains hold within them many Halflings and Rivermen (read former smugglers) who know the lay of the land very well and maintain many small watercraft for sneaking across the borders of Alamie.

Many wonder at the Duke’s hiring of hundreds of Goblin Mercenaries; but he has quickly explained it away as a needed measure. “What better way to ward against the rabble of the Five Peaks than goblins? Better to spend their lives than the good people of Alamie!” is his usual mantra. He in fact has yet to allow them further south than his homeland of Sorelies or the province of Nortmoor. He allows the goblins some leeway in their actions, and with this freedom they will frequently be found raiding into Sufhanie instead of simply guarding against raids in the north of Alamie.

Units: Unit Type Location

Duke’s Guard Anuirean Knights Deseirain

Silver Lances Anuirean Knights Nortmoor

Tuor River Pikemen Anuirean Pikemen Laraeth

Maesil River Pikemen Anuirean Pikemen Soutmoor

Sorelies Hillmen Anuirean Scouts Nortmoor

Maesford Militiamen Anuirean Scouts Maesford

Obsidian Longbowmen Elite Archers Deseirain

Ruby Longbowmen Elite Archers Sorelies

Emerald Longbowmen Elite Archers Nortmoor

Azure Longbowmen Elite Archers Soutmoor

Burgal’s Blades Goblin Infantry Sorelies

Keez’s Axes Goblin Infantry Sorelies

Gorth’s Spears Goblin Infantry Nortmoor

Surga’s Adders Goblin Archers Nortmoor

Construction Levy Anuirean Levy Deseirain

Alamiean Constables Anuirean Irregulars Maesford

*Mhor’s Archers Anuirean Archers somewhere in Mhoried

Downloads
    Uploads
    Best of luck to him, Tournen and Alamie are two of the toughest realms to rule in my view, with more powerful neighbours around them and everyone interested in keeping them down.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The way I see it, the only direction for Alamie to truly go is North into the Five Peaks and maybe then against Thurazor...although two provincial conquests in The Five Peaks can result in a border with Cariele pretty quickly and getting pulled into conflict there (which wouldn't be a bad thing).

What I REALLY want to happen is a marriage with Laela Flaertes of Tuornen to cement an alliance and future united realm...but my character is pretty ruthless, so I doubt that will happen. Going to give it a whirl though! I'm hoping an alliance and crushing of the Five Peaks in battle/conquest will work a ways toward that. Just taking Sufhanie will make it easy to protect Alamie's northern border AND be able to strike three additional provinces in the Five Peaks.

The other path I see is more dangerous: alliance with Mhoried against Ghoere and going to war there in Ghoere. But even if I was successful I would be stuck with a border on the Spiderfell.

Alliance with Mhoried is key for Alamie in my game, as well as a peaceful border with Tuornen. If I could create a "block" of Tuornent/Alamie/Mhoried I would be in a good position. That just leaves Ghoere as a possible aggressor (unless the good aligned Mhoried or Tuornen break their oaths) that has to be watched while I focus on the Five Peaks.

I have to "play it dumb" right now and pretend I don't know anything about the Warlock of the Stonecrowns, although my son may ignore that all together and focus on the Eyeless One (see below) as a foil for my plans.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice stuff. In terms of marriage, The Duchess of Tuornen is likely going to be too old for Blaede, so I would advise Blaede to start showing his prowess, faith, etc to the next generation and aim either for a direct marriage, or to be in a good place to arrange a marriage between his eldest child and the Duchess's heir - the question is whether he will care whether the reunited dukedom would be named Alamie or Tuornen - and if the latter if he could push Alamie's nobility and people to accept the loss of face involved.

Downloads
    Uploads
    She isn't too old, she is a Half-Elf after all. She likely looks as young as Blaede easily.

Edit:

Born in 515 she is only 37 or so at the time of my game. For a Half-Elf she is still a relative Teenager.
    Last edited by Kell; 10-22-2020 at 03:40 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Kell View Post
    She isn't too old, she is a Half-Elf after all. She likely looks as young as Blaede easily.

Edit:

Born in 515 she is only 37 or so at the time of my game. For a Half-Elf she is still a relative Teenager.
    Fair point, I forgot that. Blaede needs to butter her up then - indeed given her half-sidhe nature then if she won't marry him then perhaps his (future) son.

Would Blaede be willing perhaps to ask her to foster his son for a few years? If the boy gets on well in court the two realms are brought close together, if he dies Blaede has the perfect excuse to invade with the major powers finding it hard not to permit him at least some victory, the only real way for fostering to lose would be if the lad was seen as a boor or wretch by the Tuornese - but that's unlikely if Blaede and his mother plan the fostering in advance.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The major sticking point for Blaede is the mother that the DM has worked out for him: Tara the Black Princess. She is a major factor and might want to be "in charge" of rearing any children for her designs of founding a family bent toward the destruction of the Gorgon.

MY idea was to cement a marriage between Blaede and Flaertes which resulted in the mother raising the child at court between Haes and Lofton at varied times of the year. That child would, when an adult, become the ruler of the reunited realm of Alamie. Going for Alamie since both ruling houses of the divided land are still descendants of the Alam family. The Tuors were once Alamieans, it might be easier to persuade their retaking of that name (I'm hoping).

The sticking point will be thwarting my character's own mother's overall plans/ideas. Blaede knows she hates the Gorgon though, so will be playing on that sentiment mostly.

Blaede won't be as long lived as Flaertes either, so I am hoping to eventually play the child of that union (if we even play that long).

Thread Information